What a disgrace to all of us, he is no hero!!

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
This service member is a disgrace to all of us, especially those Heros who suffered real wounds and trauma that no medal will replace or turn back the clock.

Makes me sick that people like this lie about their service, especially on TV!!

'America's Got Talent' singer admits to claiming military medals he didn't earn,

I am not posting one more word from this article, he does not deserve the time and space here.

It's beginning to look like he might run for President as a Democrat soon.

awpitt

Main Streeter
This service member is a disgrace to all of us, especially those Heros who suffered real wounds and trauma that no medal will replace or turn back the clock.

'America's Got Talent' singer admits to claiming military medals he didn't earn,

I am not posting one more word from this article, he does not deserve the time and space here.

Then why did you post any words about it to begin with?

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Then why did you post any words about it to begin with?

Because he is a liar and a thief and a disgrace to the uniform.
Besides, someone else will give him more attention by posting a link to his try-out. I won't.

unlisted

SMOOTHMARINE187
Because he is a liar and a thief and a disgrace to the uniform.
Besides, someone else will give him more attention by posting a link to his try-out. I won't.

:smack: He's a true war hero. It's not his fault that these idiots can't find his record. Maybe it's in a box with Obama's birth certificate.

philibusters

And our good leftist friends and their in-pocket judges are trying to tear down the "Stolen Valor Law" by saying it should not be a crime and be prosecuted just for lying about military service/awards....

The Stolen Valor Act should be found unconstitutional - The Washington Post

Many more links attempting to diss our servicemen and women......

Sheesh......

That is an interesting case. I think the authors of that article are incorrect, that under traditional First Amendment jurisprudence that intentionally incorrect and misleading statements are probably not afforded any First Amendment protection beyond something of the strength of rational basis review (which the statute could easily pass). Aside from the constitutionality of the act though, I wonder if the statute is a good idea. Yeah, no truthful speech will be harmed, but it does seem a bit like a nanny state type situation. If you can get in trouble about lying about a military award, next you might get in trouble for lying about your educational accomplishments or something of that sort so its a bit of a slippery slop if you look at it from that angle.

philibusters

I would be incensed if he actually did not serve Afghanistan, but it sounds like he did. Don't get me wrong, he lied. But to me its like being a bench warmer on your high school basketball team then 10 years later when you moved far away claiming you were the star of the team and made all district team. You were on the team, you just exaggerated your accomplishments. Likewise, if he served in Afghanistan he did the service and had his life at danger. To me that is the heart of military service making that sacrifice. Awards are just external signs of your accomplishment and he clearly embellished them. I don't have a problem with calling him out for what he is a liar, but calling him a disgrace is too harsh in my opinion.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I would be incensed if he actually did not serve Afghanistan, but it sounds like he did. Don't get me wrong, he lied. But to me its like being a bench warmer on your high school basketball team then 10 years later when you moved far away claiming you were the star of the team and made all district team. You were on the team, you just exaggerated your accomplishments. Likewise, if he served in Afghanistan he did the service and had his life at danger. To me that is the heart of military service making that sacrifice. Awards are just external signs of your accomplishment and he clearly embellished them. I don't have a problem with calling him out for what he is a liar, but calling him a disgrace is too harsh in my opinion.

Respectfully disagree. Lying/deceit is about as low as one can get. It is the root of human fallenness. If one cannot tell the truth, then they cannot be believed, or trusted.

Trust is the foundation of human connection.

This particular situation may seem innocuous or benign, but put it in different perspective, and it could/will directly affect others individual outcomes.

Jobs, for instance. Many, many employeers, and rightfully so, look at vets very early, if not at the top, of hiring processes.

Awards are looked at closely, and given preferential treatment. Lying could very reasonably give one a leg up on another. That could/has effected individual career paths.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
My service went mostly unrecognized, as I'm sure has happened with many others, but I have a few notable ones that I don't choose to publicize. I never seriously considered claiming an award I didn't earn. There are those who will rape and pillage and pervert anything, and we who have served in the military have met their kind before, especially in our adversaries' ranks, but also, sadly, in our own. The award and the ribbon or medal that comes with it are tokens of esteem from a grateful Chain of Command, who by extension express the gratitude of the Nation. It is in that sense (in many cases) that the things mean anything to us. For some twit to claim the decoration without cause is an irritant, but it disgraces none of us a whit. The message we received with the decoration is not changed by the idiots who want to claim the decoration.

If you bled on the field or the shoreline or the deckplate of honor, if you gave what you had to do the job, if you held in your arms the mate you held dear, if you took the fire and the stress and the agony, no time during the event was spent dreaming of your award. You honestly gave what you honestly gave. What you received in return is emblematic of a debt owed to you for your sacrifice, but there is no recompense man can give that will pay you back for what you gave. A scrap of ribbon, a bit of metal, a plaque or a picture, and some high-sounding words, are still empty compared to the fullness of what you gave.

Therefore the interloper, the fraud, who would claim that same award, is to be pitied and disdained, but he detracts nothing from what you have so very selflessly given and earned.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
My service went mostly unrecognized, as I'm sure has happened with many others, but I have a few notable ones that I don't choose to publicize. I never seriously considered claiming an award I didn't earn. There are those who will rape and pillage and pervert anything, and we who have served in the military have met their kind before, especially in our adversaries' ranks, but also, sadly, in our own. The award and the ribbon or medal that comes with it are tokens of esteem from a grateful Chain of Command, who by extension express the gratitude of the Nation. It is in that sense (in many cases) that the things mean anything to us. For some twit to claim the decoration without cause is an irritant, but it disgraces none of us a whit. The message we received with the decoration is not changed by the idiots who want to claim the decoration.

If you bled on the field or the shoreline or the deckplate of honor, if you gave what you had to do the job, if you held in your arms the mate you held dear, if you took the fire and the stress and the agony, no time during the event was spent dreaming of your award. You honestly gave what you honestly gave. What you received in return is emblematic of a debt owed to you for your sacrifice, but there is no recompense man can give that will pay you back for what you gave. A scrap of ribbon, a bit of metal, a plaque or a picture, and some high-sounding words, are still empty compared to the fullness of what you gave.

Therefore the interloper, the fraud, who would claim that same award, is to be pitied and disdained, but he detracts nothing from what you have so very selflessly given and earned.

More than well stated, friend.

Pity, but do not feel sorry for, those that have to lie to feel justified.

C

czygvtwkr

That is an interesting case. I think the authors of that article are incorrect, that under traditional First Amendment jurisprudence that intentionally incorrect and misleading statements are probably not afforded any First Amendment protection beyond something of the strength of rational basis review (which the statute could easily pass). Aside from the constitutionality of the act though, I wonder if the statute is a good idea. Yeah, no truthful speech will be harmed, but it does seem a bit like a nanny state type situation. If you can get in trouble about lying about a military award, next you might get in trouble for lying about your educational accomplishments or something of that sort so its a bit of a slippery slop if you look at it from that angle.

Lying about your weight or size of your :gossip: on the interwebz....

tom88

I disagree. He is a disgrace. Those who earned those honors earned them. If he didn't do anything to earn them, then his service should have sufficed. It shows his lack of character and I believe gives a greater clue as to what type of person he might have been while there.

I don’t think he corrected himself. I think he made these lies, got called out on it then admitted he lied. It isn’t as if he got caught up in the moment and then corrected himself afterward. I think his actions are disgraceful and simply being there doesn’t bring you honor. It is the actions you take while there.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
The story unravels even more with this information:

" When the segment about Poe ran on the show, photos were shown supposedly illustrating Poe's time in Afghanistan. But the main photo, of a helmeted soldier toting an M4 carbine in front of mountainous terrain, wasn't Poe at all. It was Staff Sgt. Norman Bone, and it was indeed taken in Afghanistan, but in 2006 -- Poe's time in Afghanistan was one month in 2009.When the segment about Poe ran on the show, photos were shown supposedly illustrating Poe's time in Afghanistan. But the main photo, of a helmeted soldier toting an M4 carbine in front of mountainous terrain, wasn't Poe at all. It was Staff Sgt. Norman Bone, and it was indeed taken in Afghanistan, but in 2006 -- Poe's time in Afghanistan was one month in 2009."

SSGT Bones reply:
"First thing that came to my mind was 'Why would this lying (expletive) do this?'" Bone told TMZ. He added, "I'm absolutely furious. Been seeing red all day."

He continues to be a disgrace to those of us that served, and those who are still serving and those that gave the final measure, medals or not.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
He is becoming a more despicable liar as more information does unravel about his tale. As a Navy veteran during the Viet Nam era, I always make sure that people who ask me about it know that I did not serve in VN.

Too many vets, it seems, take that time frame as license to say they were a VN vet, not an era vet.

The guy served. Why embellish your service with lies that will find you out? He will have a very hard time trying to re-establish his reputation after this.

dontknowwhy

And yet, 30 years from now, he will run on the Democraptic ticket as an Afghan war veteran and the Dem/Lib/Prog bots will swear to the end he's a war hero & we're all just jealous of what he did for his country.

Don't believe me? Just go ask Team Kerry class of 2004

Zguy28

Respectfully disagree. Lying/deceit is about as low as one can get. It is the root of human fallenness. If one cannot tell the truth, then they cannot be believed, or trusted.

Trust is the foundation of human connection.

This particular situation may seem innocuous or benign, but put it in different perspective, and it could/will directly affect others individual outcomes.

Jobs, for instance. Many, many employeers, and rightfully so, look at vets very early, if not at the top, of hiring processes.

Awards are looked at closely, and given preferential treatment. Lying could very reasonably give one a leg up on another. That could/has effected individual career paths.
I agree with mostly with what you wrote. But at the same time, who amongst us hasn't ever told lies?