What annoyed me today

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This thing got posted on FB by a friend today and I see similar memes floating around all the time:

I think sometimes religious people get defensive and maybe think their dogma is a little silly, otherwise they wouldn't be so hot to belittle those who don't believe what they believe. Honestly, I'll pit my moral and emotional health against any Christian any day of the week.

It just makes me roll my eyes when people do this. I don't usually say anything to them because, what do I care? If this is what makes them feel superior, they should have at it.

I had this friend who, when she got successfully from point A to point B or some other routine "accomplishment", always said that the angels were looking out for her. And I'm like, okay so little kids get beaten and murdered every day, they starve to death, they lose their parents, they get sold into sex slavery, all sorts of bad things happen to our most vulnerable.....and you were hogging up the angels to make your dentist appointment on time??? That seems absurdly selfish and self-absorbed to me.

It's all part of that "see me being better than you?" smugness that makes me dislike them. It's where the phrase "holier than thou" comes from. And not all religious people do it, certainly, but enough of them do that it's irritating and makes me wonder if they're not covering for some pretty nasty proclivities. Every business person I've ever know who used God as a marketing tool was a crook. Every single one of them. If they have something religious in their business name, or religious posters all over their shop, you can be sure they're a swindler. Look at all those skeevy televangelists.

Anyway, I'm just having a rant because there seems to be a run on "see me being better than you? 👼 " memes lately. I feel better now. 😄

b23hqb

PREMO Member
This thing got posted on FB by a friend today and I see similar memes floating around all the time:

View attachment 156727

I think sometimes religious people get defensive and maybe think their dogma is a little silly, otherwise they wouldn't be so hot to belittle those who don't believe what they believe. Honestly, I'll pit my moral and emotional health against any Christian any day of the week.

It just makes me roll my eyes when people do this. I don't usually say anything to them because, what do I care? If this is what makes them feel superior, they should have at it.

I had this friend who, when she got successfully from point A to point B or some other routine "accomplishment", always said that the angels were looking out for her. And I'm like, okay so little kids get beaten and murdered every day, they starve to death, they lose their parents, they get sold into sex slavery, all sorts of bad things happen to our most vulnerable.....and you were hogging up the angels to make your dentist appointment on time??? That seems absurdly selfish and self-absorbed to me.

It's all part of that "see me being better than you?" smugness that makes me dislike them. It's where the phrase "holier than thou" comes from. And not all religious people do it, certainly, but enough of them do that it's irritating and makes me wonder if they're not covering for some pretty nasty proclivities. Every business person I've ever know who used God as a marketing tool was a crook. Every single one of them. If they have something religious in their business name, or religious posters all over their shop, you can be sure they're a swindler. Look at all those skeevy televangelists.

Anyway, I'm just having a rant because there seems to be a run on "see me being better than you? 👼 " memes lately. I feel better now. 😄

[/QUOTE Religious people are everywhere, in every walk of life. Money is a religion. Sports, drugs, are religions. Doing your own thing is a religion. The Bible and preaching the Gospel of salvation is your choice. That free will thingy that will result in your eternity, one way or the other.

There is a huge difference between.religious and believing. I've heard your stance before. Your choice.

Kinnakeet

View attachment 156727

What gets me is these TV shows with 10-15 thousand people in attendence giving away their money to 1 man and his family and yet what does he do with that money besides live like a king and then ask for more of your money to give to other people less fortunate all the while passing around a box for you to give money to him or the church as he says or do you remember ernest anglies hour of power where he could make deaf people hear and blind people see again and make cancer go away all with the help of god if it works that way he should of set up shop and charged a fee for every person that walked by him and he touched

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What gets me is these TV shows with 10-15 thousand people in attendence giving away their money to 1 man and his family and yet what does he do with that money besides live like a king and then ask for more of your money to give to other people less fortunate all the while passing around a box for you to give money to him or the church as he says or do you remember ernest anglies hour of power where he could make deaf people hear and blind people see again and make cancer go away all with the help of god if it works that way he should of set up shop and charged a fee for every person that walked by him and he touched

But you know what? Nobody is forcing those people to give. It's not like the government where politicians confiscate your money and launder it for their own lavish lifestyle; televangelist supporters are giving bazillionaires money of their own free will. They like it when Tammy Faye or whoever dresses in designer gowns and spends more on makeup than the average person makes in a year. They like it that Joel Osteen lives in a big mansion while they themselves are having trouble keeping the lights on.

You can't convince them that this guy can't cure their cancer any more than you can convince a Democrat that their party isn't the champion of the People. They WANT to believe, and believe they will.

As long as there are suckers, there will be goons who fleece them.

Clem72

Had a friend ask me how any Atheist could be a truly moral person when all morals come from their (Christian) religion.

I was a little taken aback as I had a nearly opposite thought.

You have a religion that says no matter how good you are you can not buy your way into heaven, only Jesus' sacrifices allow you to go to heaven so believing in Jesus is sufficient. Basically get out of jail free card if you are sincere in your beliefs.

Meanwhile atheists live morally because they recognize that it's the only way to keep society from breaking down into anarchy and they want the only life they expect to have to be as good as possible. No pulling the rip-cord and escaping to paradise after being a shet heel.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Meanwhile atheists live morally because they recognize that it's the only way to keep society from breaking down into anarchy and they want the only life they expect to have to be as good as possible. No pulling the rip-cord and escaping to paradise after being a shet heel.

See, that's my take. This life is all I get, there's no afterlife. No Hail Marys. When I'm dead and gone what I've left behind on this earth and the people I've impacted is my everlasting life.

So you people travel and see some stuff! Or live your dream whatever it is because that's the legacy I want to leave - that someone said, "Hey, if that dingbat can do it so can I," and took a chance.

seekeroftruth

Atheism..... that is a way of life I just can't do.... but I understand how others might be so inclined.

I prefer to think that God is in charge. If I were to believe that this is all there is.... and I have survived an abusive childhood, abusive marriage, violent divorce, bitter custody battles, homelessness, Lyme disease, cancer, and now going blind.... I would have to ask "why?"

If this is the only life I get.... why go through all that crap? That was not fun.... that did not make anyone feel happy.... why? Just my lot? Well then "why me" I would have to ask..... what would I be working toward? Not a dam thing.... so why bother to survive????

Nope.... I like saying "God is in charge... and He has something left for me to do.... so I have to get through this to see what's next..... and I know He sees me down here sticking to my guns..... while not forcing anyone else to accept my way of thinking or else.....

I see your point.... even though I feel compelled to post a "study" daily..... I understand that others want proof rather than accepting on faith....

And today.... the world does seem to be totally mad.... so I see your point,,,, Atheism makes sense in chaos....

IMHO... so does Faith....

☕

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Do not believe in false prophets.

No man (or woman) knows another man's (or woman's) soul.

You have free will, at least as long as the Dems let you. (You still have it then but don't tell them.)

Kinnakeet

But you know what? Nobody is forcing those people to give. It's not like the government where politicians confiscate your money and launder it for their own lavish lifestyle; televangelist supporters are giving bazillionaires money of their own free will. They like it when Tammy Faye or whoever dresses in designer gowns and spends more on makeup than the average person makes in a year. They like it that Joel Osteen lives in a big mansion while they themselves are having trouble keeping the lights on.

You can't convince them that this guy can't cure their cancer any more than you can convince a Democrat that their party isn't the champion of the People. They WANT to believe, and believe they will.

As long as there are suckers, there will be goons who fleece them.
Truth
I wonder if they are going to hell I mean isnt it a sin to use GOD name to further your income while the givers have nothing but PT Barnum said there is a sucker born every day

seekeroftruth

Truth
I wonder if they are going to hell I mean isnt it a sin to use GOD name to further your income while the givers have nothing but PT Barnum said there is a sucker born every day

You hit the nail right on the head there buddy.

It is a sin to take the Lord's name in vain.... It's also a sin to be greedy..... It's a sin to lie in the pulpit too..... but they did it on national tv.... and that wasn't very long ago.... the church withheld shelter during a devastating hurricane.....
Jesus talked about helping others.... being a great friend.... giving to the poor..... and that's where they found a loophole....

By giving to the church.... or that preacher.... they are doing what they are told.... they really think they are helping to spread the gospel by giving.

Remember the Crystal Cathedral? What homeless did that house? What families did that feed? Which orphans or widows were better off because of the Crystal Cathedral?

Just because a guy got the title of preacher.... it doesn't mean he's a Christian. I've met a few in my life who claimed to be Christians.....

☕

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Remember the Crystal Cathedral? What homeless did that house? What families did that feed? Which orphans or widows were better off because of the Crystal Cathedral?

Just because a guy got the title of preacher.... it doesn't mean he's a Christian. I've met a few in my life who claimed to be Christians.....

Westboro Baptist - those people were downright evil.

But most religious people I know are fine folks. They have flaws, sure; they can be insensitive; they're human. But they are genuinely good people, even the ones who post annoying memes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I see your point.... even though I feel compelled to post a "study" daily..... I understand that others want proof rather than accepting on faith....

I enjoy your posts and don't think one has to believe in God in order to take away a positive message or appreciate the thought behind them. I used to watch Joel Osteen every Sunday because his sermons were quite inclusive and uplifting. You don't have to be a Christian to want to be a better person. :yay:

seekeroftruth

I enjoy your posts and don't think one has to believe in God in order to take away a positive message or appreciate the thought behind them. I used to watch Joel Osteen every Sunday because his sermons were quite inclusive and uplifting. You don't have to be a Christian to want to be a better person. :yay:

Joel Osteen is the one who shut his church doors to the homeless during the hurricane.

Joel Osteen says it's our duty as Christians to be wealthy.... so everyone wants to be like us.... drive a new car... live in a fine house... that's what Joel Osteen says Christians "deserve".

Joel Osteen talks a great game.... but the man is wicked.... really really wicked... take away his paycheck... his real colors will show.

But that's just my opinion based on his actions.... I can't really tell what is in his heart..... but in my humble opinion... he's one of the preachers giving church a black eye.

Christians are supposed to show the love of God through their actions.... loving others.... there are a few Christians in the church.... and they are trying their best to keep going.....

☕

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Joel Osteen is the one who shut his church doors to the homeless during the hurricane.

Joel Osteen says it's our duty as Christians to be wealthy.... so everyone wants to be like us.... drive a new car... live in a fine house... that's what Joel Osteen says Christians "deserve".

Joel Osteen talks a great game.... but the man is wicked.... really really wicked... take away his paycheck... his real colors will show.

But that's just my opinion based on his actions.... I can't really tell what is in his heart..... but in my humble opinion... he's one of the preachers giving church a black eye.

Christians are supposed to show the love of God through their actions.... loving others.... there are a few Christians in the church.... and they are trying their best to keep going.....

☕

I think most televangelists and overseers of megachurches are bad humans. But I can take Osteen's message and leave him. He and the others are only wealthy in material goods; spiritually they're paupers and to me that counts more than having a bunch of swanky stuff.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Had a friend ask me how any Atheist could be a truly moral person when all morals come from their (Christian) religion.

I was a little taken aback as I had a nearly opposite thought.

You have a religion that says no matter how good you are you can not buy your way into heaven, only Jesus' sacrifices allow you to go to heaven so believing in Jesus is sufficient. Basically get out of jail free card if you are sincere in your beliefs.

I believe most atheists and agnostics and simply follow the golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". People don't need a religion to instill morality. All regions teach different levels of morality. As this religion does.