what are somethings i can do to keep my leg from..

jumpergirl976

slideing back when i jump i look like this (picture below) what can i do to improve this when riding and off the horse like at home?

Attachments

• lesson on lucky and some of gabby bday 023 003_0001.jpg
    lesson on lucky and some of gabby bday 023 003_0001.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 201

kelsiann

there's a lot of different reasons that can cause a riders leg to slip back, but the pictures quite small and bad quality so I'm not entirely sure what you're doing wrong as "putting your heels down" isn't always the case. I'd try a lot of no stirrup work and having someone lunge you over a jump with out reins with your arms spread out to your sides like an airplane (lack of a better word.. xD)

That'll keep you from leaning on your horses neck while jumping which will keep the weight in your leg, and most commonly it'll force you to grip with your calve. Or at least that was the reaction of my leg when I first used that method. I hope I was some form of help xD :whistle:

bnsmith39590

slideing back when i jump i look like this (picture below) what can i do to improve this when riding and off the horse like at home?

The reply you have already received is a good start. however, if you feel you need more work, go even farther and ride bare back. the goal..... grip with your knee and you fall off, relax and move with the horse and only grip with the calf when needed, stay on.. haha. better said right. Def. do no stirrups and the arms out over the fence that will help keep your weight in your heels. Dont work so hard!!!! dont try and jump for your horse, let him do the work!!!! we shouldnt have to work that hard. Make sure you are breathing, stop breathing and your whole body will tense. You need to relax. Count out loud the whole time you are coming into and out of a jump and at first you will find yourself not counting in mid air over the fence, very bad!!!! I have many tricks, but these are good for you to try and play with!!!!! I hope it works out for you.

devinej

super glue is an idea, but that would ruin the saddle.

CAPS are not for yelling here, they are for emphasizing...

so this is what i see you doing - your main gripping area of your leg is your knee. it becomes a pivot point - so that your upper body swings forward and your lower leg swings back. your angles (hips, knees, ankles) are stretching open rather than folding.

First - work on your two point. make sure that in your two point, your leg is at the girth, don't just press down on your stirrup, press a little Forward to keep it at the girth. Make sure that your hips are BACK over the seat of the saddle, not forward over the pommel as they are in you picture.
then, do this with your reins tied in a knot and your hands out to the side, pressing all your weight into the stirrups, make your knee practically loose.

then do this without stirrups a little bit - posting.

Only once you can do that WELL should you try it over a jump.

So set up a cross rail, trotting, on your way to the jump, get in two point, and focus on pressing those heels down and FORWARD. as you press your heels forward, your hips will come BACK over the saddle. that is good.
then over the jump, don't change a thing. the jump is plenty small, you don't need to move your hands, shoulders, or anything. just stay the same, but allow your hips and knees to fold more. Fold, not stretch out as you are in your pic.

then as the jumps get higher, let the lift of the horse fold your angles (knees, hips, ankles) more and push your hands forward, but your shoulders and hips stay back over the saddle, your heels stay at the girth, because your are pressing them there and gripping a bit with your calf and inner thigh.

don't be offended about going back to cross rails. its the safest way, and we ALL should practice over cross rails until we get it right!

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Those long thin leather straps on your saddle......take them off.:whistle: Put dollar bills in between your inner thighs and lower legs and you will find your weak areas quickly. Once you can hold your dollars for at lease 5 minutes without dropping them at the walk trot and canter then try it over small cross rails. If you have a trainer have them lunge you over a cross rail so you can tie up your reins. You can put your hands on your hips, out to the side, on your head etc. while you are jumping. You can even try it blind folded so you don't anticipate. You should try none of these things until you are strong enough on the flat, or you will end up on the ground. Your forminites above have great insight. :coffee:

jamesbond007

you can also try using bailing twine, or just any string to tie your stirrups to your girth. thats how i learned. it takes some getting used to, but with time and alot of practice, your legs will stay in place! :) good luck!

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Or you could learn like me not to goose your horse by falling off a few times.

We did a lot of ground poles, and cross-rails to work on my form. My leg is a lot more solid now, and not goosing my horse.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Or you could learn like me not to goose your horse by falling off a few times.

We did a lot of ground poles, and cross-rails to work on my form. My leg is a lot more solid now, and not goosing my horse.

That works well and lunging works wonder on form. That's what got me to get my eq back. It might seem like beginner but its harder then you think.

Have someone lunge you with no reins but your hands still in proper postition and no stirrups with your leg in the proper position then once you get good try blind folded

jumpergirl976

thanks for all the tips i will try some of these by i only get to ride once a week so i cant really practice all that much.. does anybody know some things i can do at home to streanthing my leg?

devinej

yep - get on a stair. hang your heels off the edge of the stair, then "get in two point" do some modified squats like that, slowly up and down, hold onto a railing till you can balance without it.

thighmaster? i have a whole book of those exercises,,,,someone has borrowed it though

RBlackPearl12

you really need to go back to flat work
do little cross-rails and poles, but don't jump anything bigger than 18".
talk to your trainer about getting another day, and just work on walking and trotting until you feel secure enough to move on. there are many people out at your stables that will be willing to help you and coach you through it, talk to your instructor about working on it, because it is important to make sure you have a good foundation before you move on to jumping bigger fences.

a great exercise is working all gaits in the vertical far positon (standing). it helps your balance and will teach you to sink into your heels, just make sure you dont catch the pony in the mouth when you do this. this well help you learn how to distribute pressure evenly along your leg, and other people have posted the same thing, your pivoting off your knee. alot of that actualy comes from riding in a saddle with knee blocks, you learn to ride the block and not the pony. i ride in a saddle that has no blocks, no padding, and barley any dip in the seat.