What are your thoughts on the President's new proposal for immigration and ending the shutdown?

NextJen

Raisin cane
It sounded good to me, but his expectations of cooperation from Nancy and Chuck are pipe dreams.
He will get no help with this from those two haters.

I'm thinking he threw this plan out there as a primer for declaring a state of emergency. He put enough out there that there should be bipartisan agreement, but knowing the Democrats won't agree to anything, he will then declare a state of emergency to have the wall built.

End result:
He satisfies his base because he moves forward with border wall/barrier.
He gets the government open because appropriation bills that haven't been passed are no longer held up by border wall funding and can be passed.
His declaring a state of emergency goes to court because everything he tries to do ends up there (and the wall is still being built slowly as it is now but not much reporting on it).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm thinking he threw this plan out there as a primer for declaring a state of emergency. He put enough out there that there should be bipartisan agreement, but knowing the Democrats won't agree to anything, he will then declare a state of emergency to have the wall built.

End result:
He satisfies his base because he moves forward with border wall/barrier.
He gets the government open because appropriation bills that haven't been passed are no longer held up by border wall funding and can be passed.
His declaring a state of emergency goes to court because everything he tries to do ends up there (and the wall is still being built slowly as it is now but not much reporting on it).

That seems to be the most logical path, but who knows with these people.

The situation is that Nancy (and Chuckie, but mostly Nancy) dug in hard with her psychotic base, and isn't smart enough to know how to dig back out. Like I said in another thread, when she speaks she comes across as profoundly senile. If she dropped dead it would solve a lot of problems. Her fellow Dems have got to be getting nervous right about now because many of them don't represent far left extremist districts, and their jobs are on the line. But you know what? They shouldn't have made her Speaker, so they have only themselves to blame.

Grumpy

It's all gonna lead to a power play against Nancy, some Dem will come out forcefully against her with the kumbaya line of bipartisanship (whether it is truthful or not). They will point out the lunacy of vacationing while there is a shutdown (Hawaii), refusal to negotiate(WH meeting) and the junket while 800k feds sit home waiting for the Dems to negotiate. It's reality TV and Nancy is gonna get fired.

transporter

Ok...so to start with just the basic points (the same ones that have been said over and over again)

1. The humanitarian crisis on our southern border is largely the result of Trump's policies (or more to the point Stephen Millers' policies)

2. drugs don't come into this country on the backs of women and children who are coming here seeking asylum

3. Our "immigration system" encompasses more than our border with Mexico and will require much more than a wall or other measures to fix.

4. No one is demanding open borders

5. there is no crisis on the southern border...there wasn't one when an incompetent and inept businessman came down an escalator 3.5 years ago and there isn't one now.

As for his "plan"...here it is in a nutshell...Trump says "give me everything I want"...in return he offers temporary daca relief. That is what this boils down to.

In other words...Trump is offering nothing in return for everything.

This dumbass had a better deal in Dec of 2017...he spent the majority of his time doing what he always does...lying and restating past lies.

BTW...for those who still don't understand how deals are made...they don't occur by talking ONLY to your staff and then announcing your offer on national TV. Trump is a f***ing buffoon. Always has been...always will be.

This will go nowhere...because it wasn't intended to do anything else.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Ok...so to start with just the basic points (the same ones that have been said over and over again)

1. The humanitarian crisis on our southern border is largely the result of Trump's policies (or more to the point Stephen Millers' policies)

2. drugs don't come into this country on the backs of women and children who are coming here seeking asylum

3. Our "immigration system" encompasses more than our border with Mexico and will require much more than a wall or other measures to fix.

5. there is no crisis on the southern border...there wasn't one when an incompetent and inept businessman came down an escalator 3.5 years ago and there isn't one now.

As for his "plan"...here it is in a nutshell...Trump says "give me everything I want"...in return he offers temporary daca relief. That is what this boils down to.

This dumbass had a better deal in Dec of 2017...he spent the majority of his time doing what he always does...lying and restating past lies.

BTW...for those who still don't understand how deals are made...they don't occur by talking ONLY to your staff and then announcing your offer on national TV. Trump is a f***ing buffoon. Always has been...always will be.

You don’t want it to go anywhere......you and your ilk are so intent to make Trump look bad, if he proposed a single payer healthcare program, free college, open borders, writing off all student loans, carbon taxes, all of the Union agendas, 100% tax on the rich, getting rid of ICEand even our military.....you would still bitch.......

littlelady

God bless the USA
You don’t want it to go anywhere......you and your ilk are so intent to make Trump look bad, if he proposed a single payer healthcare program, free college, open borders, writing off all student loans, carbon taxes, all of the Union agendas, 100% tax on the rich, getting rid of ICEand even our military.....you would still bitch.......

I think Trans tried out for The Apprentice, and didn’t make the show. :tantrum:

CPUSA

I'm sorry...did you type something worth reading?
No?...I'm not surprised

PeoplesElbow

That is the fault of whoever it was that goaded them into that political publicity stunt. Just like with the Iraq war they probably cheer every time there is a death.

Hijinx

I do believe that Pelosi is trying to force Trump to declare an Emergency and I would bet she already has the judges she owns lined up to file an injunction.

I am pretty tired of this crap the Democrats under Pelosi are doing.
I have been watching her appearances before the media, and I find it hard to believe that they haven't figured out yet that her mental faculties are not up to par.
It would be interesting to see if she is taking medication to slow it's degradation. I would bet that she is.
It's hard to hide when you are appearing before the press so often, surprised the party hasn't recognized it.

Grumpy said
It's all gonna lead to a power play against Nancy, some Dem will come out forcefully against her with the kumbaya line of bipartisanship (whether it is truthful or not). They will point out the lunacy of vacationing while there is a shutdown (Hawaii), refusal to negotiate(WH meeting) and the junket while 800k feds sit home waiting for the Dems to negotiate. It's reality TV and Nancy is gonna get fired.

I agree that common sense would at some time appear and this would happen, but I am having trouble remembering when common sense appeared in a Democrat forum.
After all they re-elected her to the Speakers chair.

Grumpy

but I am having trouble remembering when common sense appeared in a Democrat forum.

Agree with that. My opinion is that only a small minority are okay with what Pelosi is doing now and the vast majority of Dems find Trumps offer as reasonable. I think it leaves the door wide open for some Dem to step up to the plate and make hay out of her obstinence.

TCROW

Agree with that. My opinion is that only a small minority are okay with what Pelosi is doing now and the vast majority of Dems find Trumps offer as reasonable. I think it leaves the door wide open for some Dem to step up to the plate and make hay out of her obstinence.

It’s a reasonable offer as negotiations go, but why put DACA on the table at all when the majority of supporters of his immigration plan don’t support that?

Hijinx

It’s a reasonable offer as negotiations go, but why put DACA on the table at all when the majority of supporters of his immigration plan don’t support that?

Why is it that I believe his offer is no more than bait.
He knew they would refuse it before he made it.
He is getting ready to declare an Emergency and built the wall anyway

He is sucking them in.

TCROW

He is sucking them in.

Reasonable conclusion and strategy on the part of POTUS.

black dog

Free America

He is sucking them in.

He wrote a book or three.... If Nancy had any intelligence at all, she would have read them when Trump won the election.
President Trump is playing a Stradivarius. Best President EVER...

black dog

Free America

President Trump is just making the point that no matter what he offers, the democrats will not make any deals with him..

SamSpade

He's hinted as much previously. Just not openly supporting the idea. I mean, how could anyone deport someone who
1. Has never known any life but here in the U.S.
2. May very likely know NO ONE in their former country.
3. May ONLY speak English.

So I get that he might show some sympathy. I think he meant it in earnest, and if they had sense
they'd consider a counter-offer, as in, make it permanent and we have a deal. You can't have a compromise
without losing something you want or conceding something you don't want to concede.

Frankly, I was totally surprised that they dismissed it entirely. From the left's point of view, the entire
issue is pointless, since they think they will win all of their points eventually, either in the House or in
court. They oddly see NO problem at the border - no problem with sanctuary cities, illegal immigration
and with it, the security failures along with it. So to them, all of it is a made up problem.

Even during the campaign - Trump said that the problem has just gone on long enough, and no one
wants to fix it. He's planning to fix it once and for all.