What do ya do when....

E

equineaddict

Okay I know how to handle a bitting/nipping horse...here's my issue w/my 2 y/o right now. When I go out in the field she's hauling a** around me or by me and kicks out w/her hind leg(s)! What a brat! It's kinda hard to catch a 2 y/o when they are full speed and actin' like a nutt! Oh yeah, also sometimes she'll walk right up and rare up straight in front of me. I've started to have to carry a lunge whip in the field w/me to TRY and whack her in the midst of her acting out...but I don't always remember to do that....SUGGESTIONS? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
equineaddict said:
Okay I know how to handle a bitting/nipping horse...here's my issue w/my 2 y/o right now. When I go out in the field she's haul a** around me, by me and kick out w/her hind legs! What a brat! It's kinda hard to catch a 2 y/o when they are full speed and actin' like a nutt! Oh yeah, also sometimes she'll walk right up and rare up straight in front of me. I've started to have to carry a lounge whip in the field w/me to TRY and whack her in the midst of her acting out...but I don't always remember to do that....SUGGESTIONS? :confused:

Lounge whip? :lmao:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
equineaddict said:
Okay I know how to handle a bitting/nipping horse...here's my issue w/my 2 y/o right now. When I go out in the field she's haul a** around me, by me and kick out w/her hind legs! What a brat! It's kinda hard to catch a 2 y/o when they are full speed and actin' like a nutt! Oh yeah, also sometimes she'll walk right up and rare up straight in front of me. I've started to have to carry a lounge whip in the field w/me to TRY and whack her in the midst of her acting out...but I don't always remember to do that....SUGGESTIONS? :confused:

i've had some luck with lunging in a round ring for ground manners, but that was on an older horse, not sure if it would apply here.

E

equineaddict

cattitude said:
Lounge whip? :lmao:

Ohhhh excuse me for not correctly spelling lunge properly......I guess I can't be perfect like you.... :razz:

E

equineaddict

SAHRAB said:
i've had some luck with lunging in a round ring for ground manners, but that was on an older horse, not sure if it would apply here.

I don't have a round pen yet or believe me we'd be schooling every day...and I'm not sure either if this would apply. I think she's trying to establish a pecking order and/or playing but it's dangerous. She's actually made contact w/Band Man's arm once running by and kicking out!

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
equineaddict said:
I don't have a round pen yet or believe me we'd be schooling every day...and I'm not sure either if this would apply. I think she's trying to establish a pecking order and/or playing but it's dangerous. She's actually made contact w/Band Man's arm once running by and kicking out!

we use ours as our riding ring, and if needed i break it down to use it for lunging.
if thats what she's doing (establishing pecking order) i would think the lunging would work then, since (at least i've always thought) that aside from excerising the horse, lunging can also be used as a tool to Establish that yer the boss, since your MAKING her work (which is why i was doing it).

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
I just keep reminding my 4 year old that I am a carnivore and not going to take any of her crap. She was acting all stupid around my geriatric mare and I went and stood guard to keep the youngster away.

Waving around a riding crop impressed her pretty well without unduly upsetting the old lady I was trying to protect. Beyond that, I would recommend lunging and lots of work. Try to get in her head Monty Roberts style.

mingiz

Horse Poor
My 2 1/2 yro did the same thing. Most of the time I just kept a eye on her and if she got to close I would give a yell or most of the time I carried a dessage whip just long enough to reach her when she tried to kick out. It's all in fun to them but again not good for you. After I did nail her a few times she realized every time I get close to ma and wanna play it hurts so she did stop. She hasn't done it since. But I still watch her or any horse as far as that goes. Especially in thier territory....

E

equineaddict

SAHRAB said:
we use ours as our riding ring, and if needed i break it down to use it for lunging.
if thats what she's doing (establishing pecking order) i would think the lunging would work then, since (at least i've always thought) that aside from excerising the horse, lunging can also be used as a tool to Establish that yer the boss, since your MAKING her work (which is why i was doing it).

I don't own a round pen YET! I've been looking but unless I wanna pay $1,300.00 (which I don't have) I'm outta luck right now. I desperately need one! Anyway, once it warms up a bit I want to start trailering her over to Percy's to use her round pen!

E

equineaddict

tlatchaw said:
I just keep reminding my 4 year old that I am a carnivore and not going to take any of her crap. She was acting all stupid around my geriatric mare and I went and stood guard to keep the youngster away.

Waving around a riding crop impressed her pretty well without unduly upsetting the old lady I was trying to protect. Beyond that, I would recommend lunging and lots of work. Try to get in her head Monty Roberts style.

Thanks for the input! :howdy:

E

equineaddict

mingiz said:
My 2 1/2 yro did the same thing. Most of the time I just kept a eye on her and if she got to close I would give a yell or most of the time I carried a dessage whip just long enough to reach her when she tried to kick out. It's all in fun to them but again not good for you. After I did nail her a few times she realized every time I get close to ma and wanna play it hurts so she did stop. She hasn't done it since. But I still watch her or any horse as far as that goes. Especially in thier territory....

Yeah, I've tried the yelling but she doesn't even bat an eye to that. I definately know it's a territorial thing and she's low horse on the totum pole in that field. I'll just keep carrying the whip with me and keep her outta my space!