What Do You Collect?

Auntie Biache'

I used to collect roosters, but reached a point where everyone I knew brought me a rooster, and my house was overtaken. If they had been real, I would have been in a world of poo. Literally. Anyway, I had to bring that to a screeching halt. I managed to dump some of my roosters on vrai (sucka'), and just tossed most of them.

Now I'm collecting things that aren't as easy for people to get their hands on. I have a tiny collection (so far) of cobalt glass, and a small (so far) collection of finials.

Attachments

• cobalt.jpg
    cobalt.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 246
  • finials.jpg
    finials.jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 204

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I don't collect anything although I have tried in the past. I am too much of a minimalist.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Fishing lures. I use them occasionally. I have coins from alot of the places I've visited over the years. Some of those places no longer exist today.

TCROW

Used to collect beer cans and old one gallon oyster cans.I started in the late 60s/early 70s when I was a lad (it was a big thing back then) and continued into my late 40s. Woke up and realized none of it gave me very much joy at the end of the day, it was all an emotional attachment.

The oyster cans had real value and I found a serious collector who bought the whole lot of them (five figures). Around 5 (out of about 4,000) beer cans had actual value and I pieced those out to collectors. The rest I sold as a lot, and I got less than $500 for them.

They were fun hobbies. I met a lot of people at meets and all, but at the end of the day, it just didnt do anything for me any longer.

It’s very nice to be free of it all and have time to live deliberately.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Woke up and realized none of it gave me very much joy at the end of the day, it was all an emotional attachment.
My wife used that on me a couple weeks ago. She'd been reading up on Marie Kondo from Japan. That was her mantra for cleaning out her closet.

Auntie Biache'

I just started collecting candlesticks, and have collected bookends (yes, for actual books; I'm a 🤓), for a while.
I have a few nice bookends, but I don't really go out of my way to look for them. Pic is blurry because I cropped it to zoom in, but this is what I did with my Acorn Bookends.

Attachments

• bookends.jpg
    bookends.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I managed to dump some of my roosters on vrai (sucka')

I loved my rooster motif in the kitchen. Your castoffs worked out just fine for me. :yay:

I still have the Voodoo Rooster Melanie gave me; he's our travel mascot. I saw his twin at a restaurant here in Kerrville the other day.

As to what I collect: nothing. No room for it. Maybe nail polish? I have a lot of that.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I collect vintage cake plates/cake stands. I don't have any nice display cabinet so I have them displayed around the house, integrated into my decor: bathroom, kitchen, coffee bar, media console, etc.

I also have started a collection, if you can call 2 a collection - but they're large, so I have to choose carefully, but I like old printer's drawers: those large wooden drawers with all those tiny compartments. It relates to the origins of my profession so I think that's fun. I plan to buy more but they have to be just right, I've passed on a couple. I have plans for a fun wall display when I get my own craft room.

I guess I also collect magazines but I do eventually toss them, once I rip out any pages of inspiration. They're like my physical Pinterest pages.

Auntie Biache'

I collect vintage cake plates/cake stands. I don't have any nice display cabinet so I have them displayed around the house, integrated into my decor: bathroom, kitchen, coffee bar, media console, etc.

I also have started a collection, if you can call 2 a collection - but they're large, so I have to choose carefully, but I like old printer's drawers: those large wooden drawers with all those tiny compartments. It relates to the origins of my profession so I think that's fun. I plan to buy more but they have to be just right, I've passed on a couple. I have plans for a fun wall display when I get my own craft room.

I guess I also collect magazines but I do eventually toss them, once I rip out any pages of inspiration. They're like my physical Pinterest pages.
I've had one printers drawer my entire life. I got it because I was inspired by a friend, who is incredibly creative. She used to get wallpaper samples and cut them to fit the squares, and put her tiny trinkets in the boxes. I used mine for tiny inexpensive gifts that I'd ask for, to keep people from spending money on me.