What Do You Collect?

TCROW

My wife used that on me a couple weeks ago. She'd been reading up on Marie Kondo from Japan. That was her mantra for cleaning out her closet.

Yea, she’s really popularized the whole slimming down thing. We got minimalist religion about 15 years ago when we spent almost 3 months travelling around Europe. We had always been light travellers, but not for this length of time. The experience really galvanized how little we actually need to live daily life.

The missus took the lead in slimming down and it didn’t take long for me to catch up. We are planning on a tiny house next — not as small as the ones popularized in those TV shows, but small by today’s standards. We most recently stayed in an Airbnb in Paris that was 323 sq ft. That’s probably too small, but it is eye opening how little space we actually need.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
agg7114__1.jpg

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I collect vintage cake plates/cake stands. I don't have any nice display cabinet so I have them displayed around the house, integrated into my decor: bathroom, kitchen, coffee bar, media console, etc.

I also have started a collection, if you can call 2 a collection - but they're large, so I have to choose carefully, but I like old printer's drawers: those large wooden drawers with all those tiny compartments. It relates to the origins of my profession so I think that's fun. I plan to buy more but they have to be just right, I've passed on a couple. I have plans for a fun wall display when I get my own craft room.

I guess I also collect magazines but I do eventually toss them, once I rip out any pages of inspiration. They're like my physical Pinterest pages.

my kitchen >>

I found this one in the classifieds on here. It's not my style but it's quirky and makes me smile; who doesn't love strawberry shortcake! >>

the printer drawers is hanging over my dresser (with a small cake stand under it for my earrings) >>

this pic has at least 4 cake stands in it. A few more are out of the frame of the shot >>

the pink cake stand is a close up of the one that started my collection: found it in a antique boutique-y place in Old Town Alexandria. It's also my favorite because it's a pretty blush pink and I adore the lace detail.

I do actually use the stands for cakes/desserts sometimes.

Auntie Biache'

my kitchen >>

View attachment 135573

I found this one in the classifieds on here. It's not my style but it's quirky and makes me smile; who doesn't love strawberry shortcake! >>

View attachment 135574

the printer drawers is hanging over my dresser (with a small cake stand under it for my earrings) >>

View attachment 135575

this pic has at least 4 cake stands in it. A few more are out of the frame of the shot >>

View attachment 135576

the pink cake stand is a close up of the one that started my collection: found it in a antique boutique-y place in Old Town Alexandria. It's also my favorite because it's a pretty blush pink and I adore the lace detail.

View attachment 135577

I do actually use the stands for cakes/desserts sometimes.
ooh, you're like my crafty friend! So creative! Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm all about the "stuff"!

My dad was a hoarder. Not as bad as the shows on TV, but enough that we struggled every time he moved. I'm trying to take a lesson from that, and not only not collect things, but start to get rid of stuff for the eventuality of getting old.

Other than that, dust.