What do you take for Anxiety/Panic Attacks?

lovinmaryland

Ive been taking proxac for my anxiety/panic attacks the past couple years and it just isnt working anymore. I find that I am having them more and more frequently even after having my dosage increased. I usually dont have attacks daily, sometimes I have a couple a week and there are other times I can go 3-4 weeks w/ out having one. But there are times (recently) where I have them daily and they are BAD.

I met w/ one of the NP in the office last month and she gave me a prescrition for Valium. WOW its worked great! If I feel an attack coming on I take a pill and within a few minutes it slowly subsides. It doesnt make me feel like a zombie or sleepy just helps calm me down. However when I called to see if I could be taken off prozac and swap it for valium I was told that Valium is not something she prescribes for a daily medication only if a patient is having a particularly difficult time. She made me an appointment for next week so we can discuss other options (Zoloft, Cymbalta, etc...)

Ive been researching and there are a TON of different medications for anxiety (I see valium listed as one so I dont understand why I cant just take that since it works) Does anyone take anythign that really works for them but doesnt leave them feeling like a zombie or tired? preferably somethign that doesnt have to be taken daily.

Ive been taking proxac for my anxiety/panic attacks the past couple years and it just isnt working anymore. I find that I am having them more and more frequently even after having my dosage increased. I usually dont have attacks daily, sometimes I have a couple a week and there are other times I can go 3-4 weeks w/ out having one. But there are times (recently) where I have them daily and they are BAD.

I met w/ one of the NP in the office last month and she gave me a prescrition for Valium. WOW its worked great! If I feel an attack coming on I take a pill and within a few minutes it slowly subsides. It doesnt make me feel like a zombie or sleepy just helps calm me down. However when I called to see if I could be taken off prozac and swap it for valium I was told that Valium is not something she prescribes for a daily medication only if a patient is having a particularly difficult time. She made me an appointment for next week so we can discuss other options (Zoloft, Cymbalta, etc...)

Ive been researching and there are a TON of different medications for anxiety (I see valium listed as one so I dont understand why I cant just take that since it works) Does anyone take anythign that really works for them but doesnt leave them feeling like a zombie or tired? preferably somethign that doesnt have to be taken daily.

Because Valium is habit forming and your body creates a resistance. :ohwell:

I take Wellbutrin daily, was given Xanax for Emergencies (does nothing for me), and Ambien for sleep when I can't stop freaking out at night. :ohwell:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
FWIW, In the TV show The Sopranos, 1 of the characters was on Prozac & Lithium for panic attacks. I don't know the connection between the 2 meds but it might be a possible option for you.

Good luck.

lovinmaryland

Because Valium is habit forming and your body creates a resistance. :ohwell:

I take Wellbutrin daily, was given Xanax for Emergencies (does nothing for me), and Ambien for sleep when I can't stop freaking out at night. :ohwell:
Ok gotcha. I've been totally confused because everything I am reading says Valium is an option so I'm like WTH why cant I just take that since its working.

How does the Wellbutrin work?

FWIW, In the TV show The Sopranos, 1 of the characters was on Prozac & Lithium for panic attacks. I don't know the connection between the 2 meds but it might be a possible option for you.

Good luck.

I think lithium is for bi-polar disorder.

Roman

Good luck.
Lithium is usually for Bi-Polar Disorder, but things can and do change in the medical field daily.

dave1959

Anyone have any Otc things that work. I find myself getting anxious one in a while but don't feel I ready for a script..

B

barsook8

I'm not a doctor or licensed mental health professional. But as someone with close, intimate experience with panic attacks/anxiety issues, I'll jump in and add these comments.

Panic/anxiety attacks are often/generally the result of some combination of physical issues (i.e., chemical/hormonal imbalances of some sort) and psychological responses (to both internal physical/somatic issues and external stimulii that might trigger somatic issues). In other words, the physical issues might be relatively minor, but our psychological responses to them trigger/reinforce/amplify them. Medical doctors will often supply solely a medical solution (i.e., prescribe medications), but the more informed M.D.s will also strongly encourage therapy. Which treatment mode is the adjunct therapy (i.e., is the problem primarily biological and therapy is an adjunct to assist the meds or is it primarily psychological with the meds acting as an adjunct to assist therapy?) is a topic of continuing hot debate. In the end, I think the best position is this: which modality is the adjunct treatment is less important than dealing with panic/anxiety attacks with a one-two punch.

Therapy can help a person find those events and current triggers that precipitate the attacks. It also will help the person construct strategies to prevent the attacks from happening and mitigate them when they do. It also can help the person understand the importance (and necessity) of - among other things - good sleep, good diet, and vigorous exercise. I cannot recommend the therapy angle highly enough. Most of us, however, see therapy as some form of weakness. That's unfortunate, because if one really thinks about it, therapy is more like continuing education than some admission of failure. In any event, as a result, most folks are thus more easily inclined to go the meds/pills route because it seems more socially acceptable. Maybe so, but it's also potentially more dangerous.

Even in the of best situations, there will be times when any amount of therapy will not help and it's nice to have some meds in the bag for those extreme (and hopefully, less frequent) events. But caution should be the word of the day. Valium is habit-forming and a risky path to go down on unless monitored very closely. So are some of the other sledge hammer approaches (e.g., Klonopin, etc.). Any med that deals with panic/anxiety issues plays around in the dopamine/serotonin/norepinephrine "brain channels" so it is crucial to be under good care from a professional who has experience with these meds.

I feel for you. Been there. Best wishes.

I also use the forums as therapy. Sometimes it helps to see your life experiences put into words... you may even laugh at yourself. :yay:

sockgirl77

Ok gotcha. I've been totally confused because everything I am reading says Valium is an option so I'm like WTH why cant I just take that since its working.

How does the Wellbutrin work?

I think lithium is for bi-polar disorder.

How Wellbutrin works...It works by making you hungry. I ate like a friggin horse when I was on it. It did absolutely nothing for my anxiety though. But the comfort foods that I ate while on it sure did help soothe me for a few minutes. :lol:

Lithium works for many psych disorders, but it's a bit too much for mild anxiety.

Last edited:
How Wellbutrin works...It works by making you hungry. I ate like a friggin horse when I was on it. It did absolutely nothing for my anxiety though. But the comfort foods that I ate while on it sure did help soothe me for a few minutes. :lol:

Lithium works for many psych disorders, but it's a bit too much for mild anxiety.
And for many other disorders as well. However, it's a bit strong for mild anxiety.

I lost 16 lbs when I started Wellbutrin. :ohwell: I think it's different for everyone - it acts as an appetite supressant for me... I KNOW when I don't take it because I'm STARVING!!!! :jameo:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I'm not a doctor or licensed mental health professional. But as someone with close, intimate experience with panic attacks/anxiety issues, I'll jump in and add these comments.

Panic/anxiety attacks are often/generally the result of some combination of physical issues (i.e., chemical/hormonal imbalances of some sort) and psychological responses (to both internal physical/somatic issues and external stimulii that might trigger somatic issues). In other words, the physical issues might be relatively minor, but our psychological responses to them trigger/reinforce/amplify them. Medical doctors will often supply solely a medical solution (i.e., prescribe medications), but the more informed M.D.s will also strongly encourage therapy. Which treatment mode is the adjunct therapy (i.e., is the problem primarily biological and therapy is an adjunct to assist the meds or is it primarily psychological with the meds acting as an adjunct to assist therapy?) is a topic of continuing hot debate. In the end, I think the best position is this: which modality is the adjunct treatment is less important than dealing with panic/anxiety attacks with a one-two punch.

Therapy can help a person find those events and current triggers that precipitate the attacks. It also will help the person construct strategies to prevent the attacks from happening and mitigate them when they do. It also can help the person understand the importance (and necessity) of - among other things - good sleep, good diet, and vigorous exercise. I cannot recommend the therapy angle highly enough. Most of us, however, see therapy as some form of weakness. That's unfortunate, because if one really thinks about it, therapy is more like continuing education than some admission of failure. In any event, as a result, most folks are thus more easily inclined to go the meds/pills route because it seems more socially acceptable. Maybe so, but it's also potentially more dangerous.

Even in the of best situations, there will be times when any amount of therapy will not help and it's nice to have some meds in the bag for those extreme (and hopefully, less frequent) events. But caution should be the word of the day. Valium is habit-forming and a risky path to go down on unless monitored very closely. So are some of the other sledge hammer approaches (e.g., Klonopin, etc.). Any med that deals with panic/anxiety issues plays around in the dopamine/serotonin/norepinephrine "brain channels" so it is crucial to be under good care from a professional who has experience with these meds.

I feel for you. Been there. Best wishes.

:clap: well said

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
there could also be an underlying issue as well.

I started to have panic attacks 4-5 yrs ago.... and come to find out they were triggered by my Lyme Disease.

Now that I went thru a year of treatment for that... they are gone!!! :yahoo:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I concur with barsook as well. Many times panic attacks can be resolved through counseling and you can get off the meds all together.

I'm going to say Cymbalta was one of the drugs giving to me when I first started having some health / pain problems. It's one of those drugs that has multi0ple uses. It works in that aspect by blocking the signals the brains sends back and forth. So I'd think it would work in the same aspect for a panic attack. You start having a panic attack and then brain sends a signal to get you into full blown attack mode but the signal gets disrupted and doesn't make it where it needs to go, so you never have that panic attack.

It is a non-narcotic medicine and that is much better for you. You won't get a "high" off of it.

Valium feels great. I love it too. It makes me not give a crap. If I've fallen, broken my wrist and I just won't care, it's that wonderful, which is actually why it's bad. However, it is addictive and it can screw with your liver and heart function and you'd need more and more and higher and higher doses. If you drink enough alcohol on it to get drunk, it can kill you. That's why doctors don't give it out long term.

Back to Cymbalta, in my case it didn't work as a pain blocker and I also had a very severe allergic reaction to it. So before going on it, or any medicine, go online and read all the possible side effects.

Also, check and see how much your co-pay is for Cymbalta prior to committing. There is no generic. I've discovered many times over that drugs that aren't generic cost an arm and a leg and sometimes prescription plans don't cover the full amount. You can explain to your doctor that a drug is outside of your price range and they'll prescribe you something else.

I know just one of the drugs I'm on right now costs well over $300 a month. :faint:

Roman

I concur with barsook as well. Many times panic attacks can be resolved through counseling and you can get off the meds all together.

I'm going to say Cymbalta was one of the drugs giving to me when I first started having some health / pain problems. It's one of those drugs that has multi0ple uses. It works in that aspect by blocking the signals the brains sends back and forth. So I'd think it would work in the same aspect for a panic attack. You start having a panic attack and then brain sends a signal to get you into full blown attack mode but the signal gets disrupted and doesn't make it where it needs to go, so you never have that panic attack.

It is a non-narcotic medicine and that is much better for you. You won't get a "high" off of it.

Valium feels great. I love it too. It makes me not give a crap. If I've fallen, broken my wrist and I just won't care, it's that wonderful, which is actually why it's bad. However, it is addictive and it can screw with your liver and heart function and you'd need more and more and higher and higher doses. If you drink enough alcohol on it to get drunk, it can kill you. That's why doctors don't give it out long term.

Back to Cymbalta, in my case it didn't work as a pain blocker and I also had a very severe allergic reaction to it. So before going on it, or any medicine, go online and read all the possible side effects.

Also, check and see how much your co-pay is for Cymbalta prior to committing. There is no generic. I've discovered many times over that drugs that aren't generic cost an arm and a leg and sometimes prescription plans don't cover the full amount. You can explain to your doctor that a drug is outside of your price range and they'll prescribe you something else.

I know just one of the drugs I'm on right now costs well over $300 a month. :faint:
Even the lowest dose of Cymbalta doped me up too much. I also gained near 20 pounds while I was on it. The weight was more fluid weight. You might want to contact the pharmaceutical company that makes your medicine, to see if you can get some kind of voucher for your medicine. $300.00 is like a car payment!!