What does this say about our citizens??

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
harleygirl said:
Okay, I admit I voted for American Idol, but have never missed a presidential election since the day I turned 18........

American Idol outvotes the president
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1783339,00.html
That article is a bit slanted. It states that 63 million total votes were cast in the AI finals, and compares it to the 54.5 million votes that went to Reagan alone in the 1984 election without considering how many votes went to his opponents. Futhermore, it doesn't take into account that you can vote more than once in AI.

A

apple

harleygirl said:
Okay, I admit I voted for American Idol, but have never missed a presidential election since the day I turned 18........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1783339,00.html
its alot easier to vote in your pjs, from a phone, at home, where you dont have to stand in line or worry about your kids running around the polling center.
I voted in the last election for the first time,
but you got to admit AI voting is alot more convinient! :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just remember this...

apple said:
its alot easier to vote in your pjs, from a phone, at home, where you dont have to stand in line or worry about your kids running around the polling center.
I voted in the last election for the first time,
but you got to admit AI voting is alot more convinient! :shrug:

...the next time someone wants to make voting easier.

Pete

Repete
cholo said:
That article is a bit slanted. It states that 63 million total votes were cast in the AI finals, and compares it to the 54.5 million votes that went to Reagan alone in the 1984 election without considering how many votes went to his opponents. Futhermore, it doesn't take into account that you can vote more than once in AI.
That was Walter Mondale. Considering he only got about 43 votes nationwide i would call it a good comparison. :lol:

B

Bruzilla

What I find really funny about these American Idol viewers is that I'm sure many of these folks are people who are against the CIA monitoring their phone calls, or collecting data on who they are calling, yet they have no problem with calling into American Idol to vote. What do they think the folks at AI are doing with all of the information they are collecting from these calls? Everytime someone calls them, they come into posession of a phone number for someone who can be influenced to do things... a real gold mine for telemarketers... and the AI folks get to make some extra jack by selling their numbers to telemarketers.

Reminds me of people who wouldn't go near a bottle of Tylenol during the poison scare because "you can't tell if it might have been tampered with!" yet they would go down the next isle of the supermarket and accept some food sample from a total stranger and eat it without a second thought.

Toxick

Splat
harleygirl said:

A few items:

• Kids can vote for AI.
  • Anyone can vote as many times as they can get through.
  • Telephony hackers can speed dial for a person over and over again during the voting.
  • American Idol TOTALLY kicks ass, and politics are Major Boring City.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Dear 9D342E71-DBB8-48C8-A2C4-48824AC880A2

Toxick said:
A few items:

• Kids can vote for AI.
  • Anyone can vote as many times as they can get through.
  • Telephony hackers can speed dial for a person over and over again during the voting.
  • American Idol TOTALLY kicks ass, and politics are Major Boring City.

...it pains me to learn that. Another person I used think was sane, my BIL, has saddly revealed this came character flaw to me.

Alas.

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
Pete said:
That was Walter Mondale. Considering he only got about 43 votes nationwide i would call it a good comparison. :lol:
I know you're exaggerating just a bit. He actually got 37.5 million votes, and the total vote count was 92.6 million. That's a lot more than 63 million.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:
...it pains me to learn that. Another person I used think was sane, my BIL, has saddly revealed this came character flaw to me.

Alas.

I thought I was the only person in America who has never seen "American Idol."

R

residentofcre

Yeah... but do we want to put our vote for American President on auto-redial? :killingme

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
baileydog said:
You are joking,...........right?

Nope. I've never seen "Lost" or "24" or "The Sopranos," and my knowledge about those shows comes from listening to Don and Mike and to Elliott Segal. (I don't have any of the pay channels so I couldn't see "The Sopranos" anyway.) My list of never-seens also includes "ER," "CSI," "NewsRadio," "Everybody Loves Raymond" and probably about a thousand others.

I've only seen "Survivor," "Will and Grace," "The X-Files," "Law and Order," "The Apprentice," "Who Wants to Be a Millionare" and "King of Queens" once each.

Llwynog

Thats Welsh for fox.
I've never seen American Idol, Lost, 24, Sapranos, ER, Survivor, Will and Grace, The Apprentice, or Who Wants to Be a Millionare. I only get 3 stations anyways: MPT, ABC, and CBS. Mostly I stick to MPT but I do like CSI and Numb3rs.