What

KingFish

Nothing to see here
There is an online auction place in Dunkirk too. Forgot the name of it. I used to enjoy going up there on Friday evenings to socialize and bid on some things. Online is not the same. They have to make money the best they can.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

well, Ive known Larry and Kay for many years...I used to work there for quick cash on Friday nites.... anyway, it became more of a social event than a business, so, they went online only.... its for sale, plus the 8 acres behind it....
From what I've heard, Larry ruined it himself by being arrogant and condescending to bidders and preaching from the auction block, so to speak, chastising folks. People had enough of him. And the business suffered. And consignors started to hate having to deal with his ever increasing demands and increasing consigning fees.

As far as being a social event. Of course they, auctions, are social events. That's what makes them, in part, successful. Look at how successful Rodney Thompson was in St Mary's County. He was an excellent auctioneer, drew a large crowd, and treated people with respect. As does Ron Farrell at his auctions. Larry Forman, and his wife, Kay, pretend/ed to care, and, charged, and apparently, continue to charge too much for their "service". Most people would be better off having a yard sale selling their stuff than consigning to, middleman Larry.

Anyway, Chesapeake Auction is not an auction house anymore. Without live auctions, can it really be called an auction?

Hessian

LightRoasted...I went for many years, and Larry gets credit for his work ethic and commitment to his business,...but it doesn't take long to realize: Avarice seems to be barely hidden. It was a roaring Friday night back in the 1990's...but when you keep looking for ways to squeeze every dime out of people: they leave. Simple economic principle. Sad that he let it dominate his business model.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

LightRoasted...I went for many years, and Larry gets credit for his work ethic and commitment to his business,...but it doesn't take long to realize: Avarice seems to be barely hidden. It was a roaring Friday night back in the 1990's...but when you keep looking for ways to squeeze every dime out of people: they leave. Simple economic principle. Sad that he let it dominate his business model.
Exactly. You said it better that I. However, I wouldn't give that much credit for a work ethic to Larry since he made everyone else do the work, (raging at others for the slightest mistake in staging an auction rather that doing it himself, [stories from the folks that worked there],), as well as to lean on others and take advantage of their goodwill. When Steve Gaiser, (regardless for the reason leaving), was the owner of the auction, it was run much better. Twice a week, on Wednesdays and Friday's, sometimes on Saturdays too. Steve at least had a hunger to strive for being the best, and had a far higher work ethic and treated everyone with respect, and, in addition, advertised heavily on the radio and newsprint regularly. Which is absolutely necessary and is part of the fiduciary responsibility of an auctioneer to their consignors to garner the most attendees for an auction. Larry never did near the advertising Steve did, which goes along with Larry's avarice.

Hessian

Heartily agree LightRoased!... Steve Gaiser was a GREAT character...wit, speed, humor...and a real talent. I am unsure of what caused his exit but it hit the Auction house pretty hard. I worked for him a little...when I worked with Larry's Brother (Who was also a pretty decent guy!).

Gotta say that I felt Rodney was the most genuine and sincere guy with a gavel...miss him!! Miss the amusement, and the bargains.