What happened to Rodney Jenkins?

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
I've wondered for years what happened to Rodney Jenkins. I remember watching him ride "Idle Dice" & the "Natural" at the WIHS. Yes, I am that old. :lmao: It was just amazing what he could get his horses to do. I was reading a thread on the COTH that was title "Top 10 Professional Riders of All Time". Rodney Jenkins was mentioned several times. One poster also mentioned that he is a successful TB trainer in Maryland and retired from Grand Prix & Hunter shows in the early 90's. Also mentioned he has TB's in training out at Laurel Race Track.

devinej

i have heard that he stopped with H/J and went to race track tbs. i saw his granddaughter ride somewhere too...hmm can't remember what that was about.

BZHorseMomE

They said he still judges a select few shows a year (is a big R Judge), but the Race Horses are his focus. Wonder if he ever gave clinics or still does. Guess he would be to busy with the TB's. :whistle: Wonder what his OTTB that don't want to run are like?

devinej

oooh yeahhh, that would be awesome to get one of his ottbs! i know he did give clinics, he did the "three masters' clinic a few years ago with george morris and buck brannaman.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
devinej said:
oooh yeahhh, that would be awesome to get one of his ottbs! i know he did give clinics, he did the "three masters' clinic a few years ago with george morris and buck brannaman.
I took a clinic from him years ago....

covekat

Rodney has a string of horses at Laurel Park... he has been involved with racing for about 10 yrs, and has a nice barn of horses.... When he first showed up he used to ride his track pony, he doesnt do that anymore, and his son also works for him.

Rodney was my all time favorite when I was a kid... I still get a little giddy when I talk to him at the track... He asked me to go to work for him a few years ago, but we had to many of our own horses, but I secretly would have loved too... never told my husband that though!

BZHorseMomE

covekat said:
Rodney has a string of horses at Laurel Park... he has been involved with racing for about 10 yrs, and has a nice barn of horses.... When he first showed up he used to ride his track pony, he doesnt do that anymore, and his son also works for him.

Rodney was my all time favorite when I was a kid... I still get a little giddy when I talk to him at the track... He asked me to go to work for him a few years ago, but we had to many of our own horses, but I secretly would have loved too... never told my husband that though!

He is truly a SUPERSTAR in the Hunter/Jumper World. Back in the 80's when we were at a Grand Prix event my Mom took it upon her self to get out of the stands & go out to walk the course with Rodney. Mom said he was just as nice as can be & I wished I had gone with her.

Mom watches the racing channel & said she hears his name all the time, but didn't put two & two together. It would be cool to see him with a horse that would win one of the Triple Crown Races.

Better yet win the Triple Crown. :yay: