What happens when you fix sexism with sexism?

This_person

Cornell University has just been hit by a Title IX complaint filed with the Department of Education. The complaint notes that Cornell has immense resources dedicated to female students, ranging from a Women’s Health Center (but nothing for men), a Women’s Resource Center (but no Men’s Center) and a total of 390 scholarships available only to women, with no scholarships dedicated to men.

The complaint was filed by University of Southern California graduate student Kursat Christoff Pekgoz, and was endorsed by more than 185 leading scholars and activists, including such eminent names as Jordan Peterson and Lawrence Alexander. Pekgoz has also filed Title IX complaints against his own school, USC, and the U.S. Department of Education is already investigating Yale University on similar grounds in response to an earlier complaint from Pekgoz.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Now where oh where are the Title IX complaints that immense resources are dedicated to only black students? Ranging from a black's only resource center (but nothing for whites) and all the scholarships available only for blacks, (but nothing for whites), and all the classes dedicated only to blacks, (but nothing for whites)? Etc., etc., etc..

What's that I hear? Crickets?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
This is sort of like the government's solution to past racism is to create programs that benefit certain people because of their skin color, while disadvantaging folks with a much lighter complexion.

Title IX was intended to open up sports opportunites for women. Schools were suppose to have team rations that reflected to school's percentage of each sex. Instead of making more slots for women, schools eliminated mens sports. By cutting men's teams the school's ratios improved without providing any additional women's programs. When women cried foul, the schools said that they were in compliance as to the male to female sports opportunities. Unintended consequences rears it's ugly head. Many men's teams that were eliminated filed sexual discrimination lawsuits against their schools.

Oh no, the civil rights people were frowning.
Universities can comply with Title IX in one of three ways: by showing that the number of female athletes is proportionate to the share of overall female enrollment, by demonstrating a continuing history of expanding sports for women, or by proving that the athletic interests and abilities of the female student body are being met. Rather than spend money on expanding sports for women, many universities have instead cut men’s teams in order to comply with the proportionality method. The practice is frowned upon by the Office for Civil Rights, but it is not prohibited.

Kasic said many colleges used the proportionality method to comply with Title IX because it was seen as a permanent fix; the other two methods require continuing efforts to expand sports for women or to monitor interest on campus.

we're fro the government and we are here to help

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

Now where oh where are the Title IX complaints that immense resources are dedicated to only black students? Ranging from a black's only resource center (but nothing for whites) and all the scholarships available only for blacks, (but nothing for whites), and all the classes dedicated only to blacks, (but nothing for whites)? Etc., etc., etc..

What's that I hear? Crickets?
You hear crickets because Title IX deals with sex, not race.
Title IX states that:

No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

Title VI is about race.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
You hear crickets because Title IX deals with sex, not race. Title VI is about race.
Uhhh, ok. I'll rephrase then ......

Now where oh where are the Title VI complaints that immense resources are dedicated to only black students? Ranging from a black's only resource center (but nothing for whites) and all the scholarships available only for blacks, (but nothing for whites), and all the classes dedicated only to blacks, (but nothing for whites)? Etc., etc., etc..

Better?