What if POTUS vetos stimulus bill ?

phreddyp

Trump will most certainly sign. Absolute win for him if he does, absolute disaster if he doesn't.

The party that does the worst job spinning what it wanted in the bill is the party that will suffer come November (assuming we have an election in November! Talk about #TDS!). But Trump will come out okay if he signs; after all, he wants to get the economy helped so a crappy package now is better than vetoing for a "more perfect" one later. And he can claim that he can only work with what Congress gives him.

At this point, I'd say the Repubs have the edge as far as winning in November goes (and that's the bigger prize; any junk Dems put in the bill that last beyond the election could be written out if Repubs win back the House and retain control of the Senate).

$0.02.

--- End of line (4-10-20)
Congratulations Yooper you are the first one to even try to post an answer to the question !:)

My take on this is almost everyone says that we need this important stimulus bill to keep all of us citizens and businesses safe and well.
If so then why are we willing to accept a simple majority on this super critical legislation ?
He should refuse to sign until both the Senate and the House pass the legislation with a vetoproof majority. Only they will it be a true bipartisan bill.
Neither party will then be able to deny that they truly accepted the outcome neither good nor bad.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Congratulations Yooper you are the first one to even try to post an answer to the question !:)

My take on this is almost everyone says that we need this important stimulus bill to keep all of us citizens and businesses safe and well.
If so then why are we willing to accept a simple majority on this super critical legislation ?
He should refuse to sign until both the Senate and the House pass the legislation with a vetoproof majority. Only they will it be a true bipartisan bill.
Neither party will then be able to deny that they truly accepted the outcome neither good nor bad.
My understanding is that it is a super-majority bill (60 votes). At least that's what I thought I remembered hearing. Could be wrong; glad to be corrected.

In any event, Pelosi convened the House for 115 seconds today and won't take up the Senate bill until at least tomorrow. So Trump won't get the bill to even consider signing until after Pelosi does her bit. To my mind, not a winning strategy on her part. So while it's a bit of a risk for Trump he could then veto the bill based on Pelosi's additions (that are sure to come; which, then, would require a reconciliation, right?). Then it all becomes a matter of which party/player wins the hearts and minds game.

Of course, with events moving/changing as they are these days anything I've written above could be superseded in a matter of minutes.

--- End of line (04-10-20; 17)

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The usual suspects are already crowing about what NEEDS to be in the bill. Student debt forgiveness, min wage increases. The biggest thing the DEMs are yakking about the so called "slush fund" that Treasury would control. They are assuming and spouting off that those monies would go to the Trump family through his hotels. W---T---A---F?

Every moment Nancy delays this and ANY gamesmanship she employs will result in a YUGE November.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
He should refuse to sign until both the Senate and the House pass the legislation with a vetoproof majority.
:killingmeSend him a Tweet and let him know how strongly you feel about that.

Because as it currently stands, he's going to sign it if it shows up on his desk in something close to its current form.

kom526

:killingmeSend him a Tweet and let him know how strongly you feel about that.

Because as it currently stands, he's going to sign it if it shows up on his desk in something close to its current form.
The Squad hasn't gotten a hold of it yet. I'm sure that NYers and MN and MA voters are going to be even prouder of their choice to send those dummies to DC.

Yooper

In any event, Pelosi convened the House for 115 seconds today and won't take up the Senate bill until at least tomorrow.
Here's Pelosi's statement:
“America is facing a grave health crisis with a serious impact on our economy. I salute the strong leadership of Chuck Schumer and Senate Democrats,” she said Wednesday. “I especially thank our House Democratic Committee Chairmen, who worked hard to move the Republican proposal from corporations-focused to workers-first and who will now review the legislative text of this agreement with our Caucus.”

#TUALIMM.

--- End of line (04-10-20; 9 13 17)

kom526

The Senate version has a drafting error that is going to hold this up until some language is fixed. In the draft there is language that has unemployment paying more than 100%. Sens Graham, Sasse, Scott will hold the draft until this is fixed.

Yooper

The Senate version has a drafting error that is going to hold this up until some language is fixed. In the draft there is language that has unemployment paying more than 100%. Sens Graham, Sasse, Scott will hold the draft until this is fixed.
Here's a link to the story:

I think it's probably a good thing that they caught. But it is interesting that it is this particular three (or, at least, 2 of the 3).

kom526

At least we know someone read it. The Kennedy center and NEA, and NPR are getting money too (bad) but it is a fraction of what the house was demanding.

Yooper

At least we know someone read it. The Kennedy center and NEA, and NPR are getting money too (bad) but it is a fraction of what the house was demanding.
I agree. If that's the price we have to pay we have to suck it up. But the RNC had better a) ensure its own hands are clean and then b) use a megaphone to blast the Dems for this BS pork these three are just many of the programs that deserve ZERO taxplayer dollars).

Yooper

Holy cow. Schumer's Trump (and others) exemption. Never worked a single day of his pathetic life in a real job. What a tool.

And Sanders threatening a hold at 3:30. Thanks for killing the uptick in the market. But what should one expect from an effing communist?

These dipsh!ts.

And oh, the bill keeps congressional salaries intact. McSally was right to introduce her "pay suspension" bill/motion.

Utter dipsh!ts.

(And these morons on CNN/MSNBC. Ugh.)

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Hijinx

I guess the NYC Museums need the money to buy plywood for nailing up to the doors.
Let's see thay can turn off the lights, they need to keep the humidifier running, they can cut back on the heat and air conditioning., and lay off about half of the guards, since no one is coming anyway. The janitors aren't needed. and neither are the food court employees.They don't need to have anyone working on new exhibits, but of course the top guys in the office and their staff need to be paid.

Hijinx

Holy cow. Schumer's Trump (and others) exemption. Never worked a single day of his pathetic life in a real job. What a tool.

And Sanders threatening a hold at 3:30. Thanks for killing the uptick in the market. But what should one expect from an effing communist?

These dipsh!ts.

And oh, the bill keeps congressional salaries intact. McSally was right to introduce her "pay suspension" bill/motion.

Utter dipsh!ts.

(And these morons on CNN/MSNBC. Ugh.)

--- End of line (MCP)
Put everyone on capitol Hill on unemployement insurance, Senators, Representatives, their staffs, the whole shooting match.
Let them feel what the restaurant employees are feeling.

Scat

I guess the NYC Museums need the money to buy plywood for nailing up to the doors.
Let's see thay can turn off the lights, they need to keep the humidifier running, they can cut back on the heat and air conditioning., and lay off about half of the guards, since no one is coming anyway. The janitors aren't needed. and neither are the food court employees.They don't need to have anyone working on new exhibits, but of course the top guys in the office and their staff need to be paid.
Another one of the problems with govt. They never stop asking for more and more. Remember the sit-ins with occupy dc where they destroyed the parks that had just been renovated? Rather than kick the occupiers out, they just asked for more money.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/issa-400g-in-stimulus-funds-stomped-on-at-occupy-d-c-park

glhs837

Power with Control

Ah, no, they are saying that we need to replace all the income they would have made fron visitors, special event fees, and fundraising events. Not keeping the lights on.

Hijinx

See??? That's the problem with living in Washingtn DC. The Museum here run by the Smithsonian are free.
The Zoo----or what's left of it, which isn't hardly worth going to is also free.
Used to be a dime to ride the elevator in the Monument, Have no idea what that is now. Used to walk it for free. No more walking.
Damned shame ity was an interesting walk. Or climb.
I believe air and space at Dulles is still Free , but they screw you on the parking.