What if Usain Bolt

LordStanley

I know nothing
Could catch a football?!?!?!?

I mean, some of these sprinters are not small dudes. Give them some cleats and pads and lets see how they would do.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He...

Could catch a football?!?!?!?

I mean, some of these sprinters are not small dudes. Give them some cleats and pads and lets see how they would do.

...would not survive his first practice. You don't just run fast and become a football player over night.

On top of that, if you notice, Bolt is about the same speed as everyone else the first 40 meters and, if I recall, there was no one in front of him trying to knock him on his azz.

Football history is littered with people who could run but didn't do so well when the hitting part came into play.

Same thing goes for really big strong guys; that doesn't mean you can play football.

Pete

Repete
Football is just as much a state of mind as it is athletic ability. It takes a special minset to have your molars dislodged and jump up and run back to the huddle.

donbarzini

The only Olympic sprinter ever made a splash was Bob Hayes. Renaldo Nehemiah was never better than serviceable(and he was a hurdler).

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Wasn't there a Raider in the late 80's or 90's that came from the sprintting world who wasn't bad?

ETA- James Jett

Last edited:

LordStanley

I know nothing
...would not survive his first practice. You don't just run fast and become a football player over night.

On top of that, if you notice, Bolt is about the same speed as everyone else the first 40 meters and, if I recall, there was no one in front of him trying to knock him on his azz.

Football history is littered with people who could run but didn't do so well when the hitting part came into play.

Same thing goes for really big strong guys; that doesn't mean you can play football.

yeah, but you can teach a person to catch a ball and take a hit. You cant teach natural speed. You're either fast, or you're not.

But I have to agree with Pete... It does take a certain mind set for wanting to put your body, along with someone elses through that punishment.

Its just like hockey goaltenders. It takes a special someone that wants to put their body between a goal and a 100mph 6oz, vulcanized, hard rubber disk, flying at your face :lol:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Sprinters also have a running style that is not helpful to his physical health when playing football. They are used to running straight lines and have to be taught how to make cuts for running routes.

There was an article in the WaPo about Derius Heyward-Bey of the Terps and how he is being re taught how to run to be more effective as a receiver.

LordStanley

I know nothing
Sprinters also have a running style that is not helpful to his physical health when playing football. They are used to running straight lines and have to be taught how to make cuts for running routes.

There was an article in the WaPo about Derius Heyward-Bey of the Terps and how he is being re taught how to run to be more effective as a receiver.

never thought of that...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There is no doubt...

yeah, but you can teach a person to catch a ball and take a hit. You cant teach natural speed. You're either fast, or you're not.

But I have to agree with Pete... It does take a certain mind set for wanting to put your body, along with someone elses through that punishment.

Its just like hockey goaltenders. It takes a special someone that wants to put their body between a goal and a 100mph 6oz, vulcanized, hard rubber disk, flying at your face :lol:

...that pure speed would be great to have on the football field. The question has always been 'can it be put to good use?' and the answer has pretty much always been 'not if the person is just a track guy'.

As for what Pete is saying, no one WANTS to get hit, to get hurt, to get punished. Football players are willing, not wanting, to sacrifice their bodies for success in the ultimate team game.

Beta84

They're out to get us

Not always the case. Granted, your argument is discussing a sprinter where I'm thinking about a speedy guy who plays football. One of the guys on my Gators made it to the semifinals for the 100m olympics and broke the high school track record. He's a football player who was convinced to run track because of his speed. His moves are amazing :grin:

As for Bolt, word around Miami during August was that the Fins were looking at acquiring him. We're desperate :(

LordStanley

I know nothing
Not always the case. Granted, your argument is discussing a sprinter where I'm thinking about a speedy guy who plays football. One of the guys on my Gators made it to the semifinals for the 100m olympics and broke the high school track record. He's a football player who was convinced to run track because of his speed. His moves are amazing :grin:

As for Bolt, word around Miami during August was that the Fins were looking at acquiring him. We're desperate :(

That would put a damper on T.O's Endzone celebrations :whistle: