what in the wide world of topics???!!!!

GregV814

My youngson decided to adopt a kitten from FRIENDS OF FELINES . So he was given a form to complete for the process. I understand fully the obvious questions and their pursuit of making sure the animals life is safe. Okay, fine, suitable accommodations, shots etc....
But who the (bad word) wrote the questions are what are they going to do with the information? Is this the DNC, FBI, CIA?

After name address, etc...

whom is the pet for?
what is the age of the potential owner
who is YOUR EMPLOYER
HOW MANY HOURS ARE YOU AT HOME/AWAY FROM HOME

WHAT WILL YOU DO; THE STEPS YOU WOULD TAKE IF THE PET WENT ASTRAY?
WHAT OTHER ANIMALS DO YOU HAVE

WHERE WILL THE PET SLEEP? DO YOU HAVE ABILITY TO BUY FOOD/MEDECINE?

where is this information going? Yes, we know he could grab a stray or a neighbors cat.... But damn!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See my thread on crappy bosses....

I get that they want to make sure the animal goes to a good home, but seriously.... The ones that require you to have a fenced yard or you can't have a dog :lol: Apollo never had a fenced yard, I actually walked him and interacted with him, and he was more than fine. Gretel, same.

It's just crappy people flexing. Like some cat is better off in a cage at a shelter than living in a home with someone who works full time. It pisses me off that they use helpless animals to make themselves feel important.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Like Maryland's Natural Resources Police, of which many of the new officers are anti-hunting and anti-fishing with some of them now being in policy making positions in the Department, many of the people involved in animal rescue and placement have lost sight of the mission.

The late Linda Kelley was one such if you ever talked to her about it.

sunshine98

Behind every question is probably a circumstance that caused cats to be returned to the shelter. For instance, if you worked a job where you were 12 on /12 off, it wouldn't be conducive to owning a kitten. It probably would tear the house apart out of boredom and not bond to the human, causing it to be returned for "behavior issues." (An older cat would be a better fit) If you had to confine the cat to one little room because your dog Cujo would eat it, that would also not be a good situation. And don't get me started on how many cats are returned because they developed a medical problem that the owners didn't/couldn't afford to treat.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
okay...
in alphabetic order, each of you post your name, address place of employment marital status, what kind of car ( horse you rode in with), favorite TV shows you watch.... your favorite item in Papa Johns menue.....

ITS FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!!!
:lol: My info is all over this forum already.

frequentflier

happy to be living
F of F and other local rescue groups have policies and a contract that you will return the animal to them if you need to give it up. Rescues love making great adoption decisions and hope to never see the animal again; trusting that the animal will be loved and well cared for.
Unfortunately, that is not always the case. I have been behind the scenes active in rescue for over 20 years and where there may be legitimate circumstances to give up an animals; sometimes the excuses are pretty pathetic.
Rescues are run by volunteers and they try to make the best decisions regarding the placement of the animals. Thus the questions about living arrangements, etc (renters often get pets and then the landlord finds out...), military people move a lot (and often get "disposable" pets) and so on.

Just my .02

In the same vein, many people do not do research on breeds before getting a dog. I had someone come in my store that said they had bought a Welsh Corgi- a herding dog- and they had to give it up because they ran a day care and the dog was herding children and nipping their heels. The breeder should never have sold them the dog. It went to a shelter. Most breeders will not take the dog back once you bought it ("good" breeders will).
Many insurance companies won't cover homeowners insurance for many breeds of dogs but people get them anyways. Then the dog bites and it gets ugly.

Bare-ya-cuda

F of F and other local rescue groups have policies and a contract that you will return the animal to them if you need to give it up. Rescues love making great adoption decisions and hope to never see the animal again; trusting that the animal will be loved and well cared for.
Unfortunately, that is not always the case. I have been behind the scenes active in rescue for over 20 years and where there may be legitimate circumstances to give up an animals; sometimes the excuses are pretty pathetic.
Rescues are run by volunteers and they try to make the best decisions regarding the placement of the animals. Thus the questions about living arrangements, etc (renters often get pets and then the landlord finds out...), military people move a lot (and often get "disposable" pets) and so on.

Just my .02

In the same vein, many people do not do research on breeds before getting a dog. I had someone come in my store that said they had bought a Welsh Corgi- a herding dog- and they had to give it up because they ran a day care and the dog was herding children and nipping their heels. The breeder should never have sold them the dog. It went to a shelter. Most breeders will not take the dog back once you bought it ("good" breeders will).
Many insurance companies won't cover homeowners insurance for many breeds of dogs but people get them anyways. Then the dog bites and it gets ugly.
There are many people that just shouldn’t own dogs. These people are the ones that get certain breeds and put them in situations where they do end up biting someone giving the breed a bad rep.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

The adoption rules are a doozy from (CAWL) Calvert Annimal Welfare Leauge. You have to email them for an application .... I bolded one that really is crazy. Almost as if they are HOA Karens.

Adoption Rules
  • The adopter is acquiring the above-described animal solely as a pet for himself/herself and for the immediate family.
  • The animal shall reside at the adopter’s address.
  • The animal will not be abused in any manner, beaten or treated cruelly, nor shall it be subjected to any biological or chemical experiment.
  • The adopter shall allow the animal indoors to interact with the family when they are home. Cats will reside inside the house and never be allowed to roam freely outdoors.
  • The adopter will provide sufficient food, daily fresh water, and daily exercise for the animal.
  • During the family’s absence, a dog must be contained or confined for his safety, with access to shelter, food and water. Adopter will NOT permit the dog to run free or off-leash or out of immediate control. The adopted dog will never be “tied out” or “staked out” or “penned out”.
  • The adopter shall provide a collar and identification tag for the animal to wear at all times if allowed to go outside.
  • The adopter shall provide the animal with humane care and maintain it in accordance with all current and future state, county and municipal laws and ordinances where the adopter resides.
  • The adopter shall provide the animal with necessary veterinary care upon sickness, disease, or injury. In addition, the adopter shall take the animal to a veterinarian once a year for an annual health examination and routine vaccinations. The adopter agrees to test a dog annually for Heartworm and to maintain the dog on Heartworm Prevention medication throughout the year.
  • It is recommended that the adopter take the animal to a licensed veterinarian within 1 week after adoption.
  • CAWL has made every effort to provide an animal to the adopter that has received all required inoculations, has been spayed or neutered, and is in good health. However, CAWL does not warrant the physical condition of the animal and cannot be held liable for any illness or infirmity the pet may possess.
  • The adopter will make every attempt to keep this animal for the rest of the animal’s life AND WILL NOT TRANSFER OWNERSHIP OR CUSTODY TO ANOTHER PERSON, BUSINESS OR ANY ANIMAL SHELTER. Excluding those reasons listed in #13, if the animal cannot be kept for any reason, the adopter agrees to return it to CAWL. The adopter agrees to give CAWL reasonable time to intake, rehome the animal or place the animal in an approved foster home, if available.
  • CAWL reserves the right to decline the return of an animal for the following reasons:
    • If CAWL determines the animal is aggressive and/or dangerous.
    • If the animal is terminally ill.
    • If there is no space for the animal in the CAWL system.
    • If it is determined that the animal would likely be unadoptable for reasons such as; but not limited to: advanced age, behavioral problems, or certain medical conditions. (CAWL does not wish to warehouse the animal for the rest of its life, thereby causing pain and suffering to the animal and additional expense for CAWL.)
  • The adoption donation will not be refunded after 1 week for dogs and 2 weeks for cats. A $50.00 processing fee may be deducted from any refunded amount.
  • The adopter, from the date of this contract, agrees to release and indemnify CAWL from any and all claims, known and unknown, now or hereafter arising in connection with the animal.
  • The adopter agrees to allow the inspection of the home and the conditions in which the animal is living at any time by CAWL. The adopter also consents to reclamation of the animal by CAWL at any time for failure to comply with the terms of this contract or for any misrepresentation of fact made by the adopter on the CAWL “Application for Adoption”, incorporated by reference.
  • The adopter agrees to pay CAWL any and all expenses, including court costs and reasonable attorney’s fees, in enforcing the terms and provisions of this contract.
  • The adopter and CAWL agree that the actual value of the animal is $300.00 for puppies less than 6 months of age, $250.00 for dogs/puppies under the age of 6 years and $200.00 for dogs/puppies over the age of 6 years, $150.00 for kittens, $130 for adult cats, and $75 for senior cats.
  • If the adopter violates any of the above conditions and the CAWL Board of Directors decides by simple majority that it is no longer in the animal’s best interest to remain in the home/custody of the adopter, the adopter hereby authorizes a duly authorized representative of CAWL to immediately remove and confiscate the animal without notice.
  • By adopting this animal, the adopter agrees to absolve CAWL of any liability for any damages caused by the animal.
  • Finally, the adopter acknowledges that CAWL wishes to safeguard the health and well being of the animal, to protect the animal against neglect, abuse and cruelty. To that end, the adopter enters into this Agreement freely and with good will.