What is the deal with...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
.... Longaberger baskets?

I skim over the classifieds from time to time and there is always a swath of Longaberger.

Is it a cult thing?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It was a few years back. Lots of ads for people selling them now because people just want to get rid of them.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Probably the best description of it I've ever heard. Or the Pampered Chef of baskets.

Seems to me their time has come and gone - if people are trying to SELL them, it's probably a sign they're no longer the IN thing.
I never understood the lure of them. I think they are ugly.

SamSpade

I never understood the attraction. How many baskets does a person need?

Part of it is, you kind of get them as "freebies" if you're in the whole multi-level marketing pyramid - just like Tupperware and Pampered Chef.
SOME of the baskets have designs I thought were kind of useful. My wife has a few which we've kept for many years, because they have plastic inlays which are perfect around holiday times for serving food, appetizers and holding plasticware.

But women I knew that were into them were partly allured by the fact that they were EXPENSIVE. You know - like jewelry. Otherwise known as pretty rocks. I know at least one woman who has them hanging from the rafters of her kitchen. LOTS of them.

mitzi

Same with the Lularoe clothing craze a few years ago. Everyone was a consultant and hosting parties. Now the clothes are popping up (still with the tags) in Thrift Shops.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Same with the Lularoe clothing craze a few years ago. Everyone was a consultant and hosting parties. Now the clothes are popping up (still with the tags) in Thrift Shops.
Had to look this up. The stuff looks like the kind of stuff I've seen in WalMart. Is it pricey?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
.... Longaberger baskets?

I skim over the classifieds from time to time and there is always a swath of Longaberger.

Is it a cult thing?
Multilevel marketing /Direct home sales.

Like Home Interiors & Gifts, Princess House Crystal, Pampered Chef, Tupperware...

Some products are more expensive than others. I never saw the attraction to the baskets.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Like Home Interiors & Gifts, Princess House Crystal, Pampered Chef, Tupperware...

Some products are more expensive than others. I never saw the attraction to the baskets.

I've seen a few Pampered Chef items that, to me, were worth the money, but I wouldn't try to outfit my whole kitchen with some of their useless utensils.

Bann

PREMO Member
I've seen a few Pampered Chef items that, to me, were worth the money, but I wouldn't try to outfit my whole kitchen with some of their useless utensils.
Me, neither.

In my past lives, I've been a direct home sales contractor for Home Interiors, Princess House and also Rainbow vacuum cleaning systems. :yay:

Bann

PREMO Member
Men go to Pampered Chef parties?
Men need/buy kitchen gadgets! :lol:

OR, lots of times people/groups have fundraiser parties, or maybe a guy will host a party for other men friends to buy gifts for the wives.

SamSpade

A good friend of mine has the same attitude about nearly all jewelry, but especially diamonds.

His explanation - "Sam, this stuff is made from the most common stuff on earth - carbon. We can even MAKE these things. Unlike gold, there's not a finite supply - for our purposes, there's an INFINITE supply. It costs a lot, because the people who mine the stuff make SURE they don't mine too much of it. Otherwise, its value is completely made up. They're worth a lot because people THINK they are. Gold at least has some value as a metail all by itself. This stuff is made of rocks".

So - high price baskets.