What laptop should I get?

Pete

Repete
Was checking out Dell.com and it makes my brain melt. 14.1 inch screen, 15 inch screen, 30G or 40G hard drive, 256 or 512M of RAM. Pentium, Type M, Stop the insanity !!

I will use it wireless, to surf, watch movies, email, goof around. No heavy applications, I don't download music or crap.

I was thinking the 1150

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
Do you want more children?
:yeahthat: I was thinking something similar - like he was tired of purchasing single use protection devices. :lol:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Pete said:
8X DVD, 24XCD-RW/DVD it is all so confusing
:confused: what's confusing about it? either you get an 8 spd DVD or a 24 spd rewriteable CD and DVD combo. :shrug: Go for the latter of the two for more flexibility in case you ever decide to burn something.

K

Kizzy

HollowSoul said:

I have the pavilion ze5500, and I am very happy with it.

This is the thing; I know everyone just loves, loves, loves dells on this forum. Well, my office purchased me a $2,500.00 dell; it was a perk for the new hires. The other day, I had 2 keys fly off the thing. I couldn't believe it. I was shocked. POS. I sat there for nearly 25 minutes, trying to figure out how those stupid keys go on and they are connected with plastic.

I own an HP, the keys feel secure, and they feel durable to me, not cheap. To me, the dell just seems cheap. Sure, my HP is a little heavier than a dell, but I don't carry it around much and really, what is a few ounces. The biggest problem with ordering a laptop online is the key structure. You have large fingers and hands and the keyboards can seem small and narrow, not comfortable for typing.

Pete

Repete
Kizzy said:
I have the pavilion ze5500, and I am very happy with it.

This is the thing; I know everyone just loves, loves, loves dells on this forum. Well, my office purchased me a $2,500.00 dell; it was a perk for the new hires. The other day, I had 2 keys fly off the thing. I couldn't believe it. I was shocked. POS. I sat there for nearly 25 minutes, trying to figure out how those stupid keys go on and they are connected with plastic.

I own an HP, the keys feel secure, and they feel durable to me, not cheap. To me, the dell just seems cheap. Sure, my HP is a little heavier than a dell, but I don't carry it around much and really, what is a few ounces. The biggest problem with ordering a laptop online is the key structure. You have large fingers and hands and the keyboards can seem small and narrow, not comfortable for typing.
I have had Tandy, Compaq, Gateway, and Dell all POS except for the Dell and the Tandy. That 386 processor rocked at 15Mhz.

K

Kizzy

Pete said:
8X DVD, 24XCD-RW/DVD it is all so confusing

If you are dead set on a dell, get no less than 512 MB of Ram, 30-40 gig, either one, depends, I have tons of photos and MP3's, but you said you do not. This doesn't mean that down the road, you will not. the 8XDVD only allows you to play DVD, the CD/RW with DVD combo allows you to not only watch DVD's but to write and read CD's. I would get the CD/RW/DVD.

Pete

Repete
Kizzy said:
If you are dead set on a dell, get no less than 512 MB of Ram, 30-40 gig, either one, depends, I have tons of photos and MP3's, but you said you do not. This doesn't mean that down the road, you will not. the 8XDVD only allows you to play DVD, the CD/RW with DVD combo allows you to not only watch DVD's but to write and read CD's. I would get the CD/RW/DVD.
OK, now go to Dell.com and pick one out for me to buy you HP lover.

K

Kizzy

Pete said:
I have had Tandy, Compaq, Gateway, and Dell all POS except for the Dell and the Tandy. That 386 processor rocked at 15Mhz.

I bought the cheaper of the HP laptops, I wish I would have invested just a little more and gotten the other HP laptop with the 17 inch viewer. The DH watched me go back and forth on this one, but it was a couple hundred dollars more than I had set in my mind.

I am familiar with what you do on the computer and a low end computer is good for you, but you don't want to buy something you could potentially outgrow.

Pete

Repete
Kizzy said:
Waht about screen size? Is a 15 that much better than a 14.1?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you're going to be wireless, go with the M. You also want the 24x DVD/CD-RW

I love my Dell. I got an Inspiron 600m back in May and it rocks.

K

Kizzy

He has already checked out and ordered it. :lmao: Now boy has stacked his claim to the desktop and kicked pete out of his seat.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm thinking seriously about getting rid of my office computer and just having my laptop instead. Right now I have my computer at the office, my computer and home and my laptop. It gets annoying having to transfer anything I'm working on to my memory key or burn a CD when I want to take it home with me. I'm thinking how much easier it would be to just have everything I need on one computer that I can pack up and take with me wherever I go.

I could hook up a monitor and real keyboard to it when I'm at the office so I don't have to deal with the tiny screen and built-in keyboard.

Hmmm.....

K

Kizzy

Well, soon after I bought my laptop last year, I thought :dork: why did I do this? The keyboard took some getting use to, but now I fly, just like I did with a standard keyboard. It is really a great thing to have. I have a desktop for the kids and 2 laptops connected to our wireless network. I know when I was in the academy; my only form of entertainment was the laptop. We had a TV room, but 20 some people had to agree what they wanted to watch, after a day of that non-sense, I was back in my room with my laptop. I have had my laptop for almost a year now, and I have come to the conclusion that I will never own another desktop.

My office gave me a Dell for work, and today I had to fill if for our receptionist that quit. It was so nice, just picking up my laptop and taking it to my desk and not having to fiddle with disk in order to write the reports I needed to write.