What makes a good horse picture?

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
We can pick a part my photos. They are not taken by professionals.

I think 3/4 shots like this are usually good. This horse's expression is not so good, but his knees are nice and square. I like that in any good photo.

Attachments

• SB on Fred.JPG
    SB on Fred.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 103

Sparks

I want to get advice from those of you that take pictures and buy pictures.

Square knees and a happy expression. No pinned ears. I don't care what I look like, as long as my horse looks good, I'll buy it! I'm a picture ho.....:diva:

Distracting backgrounds aren't so good though.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Side view jumping shots can be very flattering too. Some riders with poor equitation you can hide a leg flaw with a standard. :lmao:

Attachments

• Julie Devine and Higgins 3'6.JPG
    Julie Devine and Higgins 3'6.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Julie and Breeze 1.JPG
    Julie and Breeze 1.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Sadie and Jana jumping wall oxer.JPG
    Sadie and Jana jumping wall oxer.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 84

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
It takes a very special photographer to catch a great head on shot. Many horses don't have the look to pull off a straight on shot and riders show some dramatic equitation flaws in their legs head on. Coming off of the jump can look cool though. I have very few "good" head on shots, and they are from Phyxius so I won't post them without her permission.

Attachments

• Zara & Jumping 2.JPG
    Zara & Jumping 2.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 85
  • Mark & Jana Jumping 2.bmp
    67.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Christina and Peanut 2.JPG
    Christina and Peanut 2.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Annette Schibler and Bella.JPG
    Annette Schibler and Bella.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 89

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Flat pictures are good when the horse's legs are extended not bunched together and you can see their entire body (JMO) This one picture is not so good because someone forgot to take a picture of the pony's feet. Group ribbon shots or barn shots of everyone together are usually good. Individual pictures of horse and rider with their awards are usually a hit too. Jumping away shots in my opinion are about worthless.

Attachments

• The ribbon gang SMHA.JPG
    The ribbon gang SMHA.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Sarah and Shadow.JPG
    Sarah and Shadow.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Pepper & Jana 2.JPG
    Pepper & Jana 2.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Samara & Jana Flat 3.JPG
    Samara & Jana Flat 3.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Santo & Jana Western 2.JPG
    Santo & Jana Western 2.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Okay...now I am tired of talking believe it or not....I will let others agree or disagree. I see Myalexis is on she can vouch that falling off shots are cool when you don't get hurt and you have a sense of humor. Right?:lmao:

IntegritysDream

cadid moments, happy expressions, goofy expressions, love, senic shots, square knees.
mymom took the one below, its one of my favs of my horsey and i!

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 84
I

Inkpen

I want to get advice from those of you that take pictures and buy pictures.

The basics:
Clean, sharp, in focus and horses eye is sharp and in focus..not in focus..trash the photo, does not matter how good the photo is...
we "look" at a photo, we look at the eyes...

Clean background..if needed, photoshop out background or cut your depth of field so background is blurred.

Shallow foreground..tight crop to do away with a long foreground. No need to have one as subject is the horse, not the dirt field or whatever.

Head shots of horse and rider..again, sharp. crisp, in focus.

Photographers have a natural eye for the composition...so no need to talk about that.

Decide WHAT story you want to tell, and go shoot it.

:howdy:

fredsaid2

For pictures typically purchased from a show: a tight profile shot with a bit of a front angle with the horse at the apex of the jump, something with a spread generally gets the best effort from the horse. Most people want to see their horse relaxed, square knees, ears forward with a pretty round jump. I think if a photographer chose an oxer or whatever jump had width and set up on that one jump to take pics they would get the best shots.

You could look through pros web pages and see some of the angles they use for shots. Teresa Ramsay & Al Cook do a lot of area A shows.

Good Luck!