What size Center Console

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Dad wants my brother and I to go in on a Center Console to do some fishing, crabbing and other fun stuff. I'd like one that we can take in the bay and do some light trolling with also. Thinking a 20ft Center console would be adequate but would like some opinions. Think I can do this and stay under 10k on a used boat.

FastCarsSpeed said:
Dad wants my brother and I to go in on a Center Console to do some fishing, crabbing and other fun stuff. I'd like one that we can take in the bay and do some light trolling with also. Thinking a 20ft Center console would be adequate but would like some opinions. Think I can do this and stay under 10k on a used boat.
You can get by with a 20'. A 22'-24' would be better for rougher days though. Pay attention to the shape of the hull. Deeper v means it'll cut into the chop easier. Happy fishing. :yay:

Mikeinsmd

desertrat said:
You can get by with a 20'. A 22'-24' would be better for rougher days though. Pay attention to the shape of the hull. Deeper v means it'll cut into the chop easier. Happy fishing. :yay:
:yeahthat: While a flat bottom is good for still fishing but murder in a chop. Try to go larger than 20' if you can. You may have to up your price a little. I was hard pressed to find anything worthwhile for $10K.

This one is only 18'

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Yeah I know.. I tried to get dad to agree to a 15k price mark but he wants us to stay at 100.00 a month each on the boat payment. I like that trophy. See I like the bay in November to go after the big boys so I wanna make sure we get something that can handle the bay and has the range we need.

bcp

In My Opinion
I have a 24ft deep V (Chapparell 2335) and it has felt a bit on the small side on more than one occassion on the bay.
I certainly would consider a 24 the minimum for the bay. especially in the fall months.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
bcp said:
I have a 24ft deep V (Chapparell 2335) and it has felt a bit on the small side on more than one occassion on the bay.
I certainly would consider a 24 the minimum for the bay. especially in the fall months.

I think anything but a Bay Built feels the bay come fall and winter LOL.. Just the way those boats are made. Ive been on 30+ foot bay builts and 30+ yahts and you can truely tell the bay builts were made to run our waters. I've seen smaller Center Consoles in the 20' range out on the water and as long and the swells are too bad they seem to do quite well. Im really gonna see whats out there and figure out what we want to do.

Mikeinsmd

FastCarsSpeed said:
I think anything but a Bay Built feels the bay come fall and winter LOL.. Just the way those boats are made. Ive been on 30+ foot bay builts and 30+ yahts and you can truely tell the bay builts were made to run our waters. I've seen smaller Center Consoles in the 20' range out on the water and as long and the swells are too bad they seem to do quite well. Im really gonna see whats out there and figure out what we want to do.
Woody, one thing you can always do is watch the weather. As a fellow boater, I have half a dozen weather websites including one only for winds. You're welcome to them.

We do get a lot of calm days in the fall as well as sudden squalls. Best thing is to check the weather the night before and the morning of going out.

When you get to the mouth of the Pax (or wherever you launch) you'll know if it's too rough. And if the wind comes up during the day, you'll already be aware and can head in before it gets too bad. :yay:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
My dad has fished the bay for over 40 yrs. in boats like the current 22 ft. C-hawk he owns and has always made out fine. Your hurdle is gonna be that $10k price tag.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
AK-74me said:
My dad has fished the bay for over 40 yrs. in boats like the current 22 ft. C-hawk he owns and has always made out fine. Your hurdle is gonna be that $10k price tag.

Yeah I realize that but its not undoable from what I have seen. We are in the middle of building our house so I cant really do anything too major and even at 32 I still listen to what my dad says LOL..

Mike Thanks for the offer. I work for NOAA and have access to all the information with regards to water conditions and such.

LordStanley

I know nothing
when do you want the boat by? Do you plan on fishing over the winter.

If you wait until the recreational boating season is over, which is usually October, you can find better deals on boats. Used and new (especially in Mid winter)

FastCarsSpeed said:
Yeah I realize that but its not undoable from what I have seen. We are in the middle of building our house so I cant really do anything too major and even at 32 I still listen to what my dad says LOL..

Mike Thanks for the offer. I work for NOAA and have access to all the information with regards to water conditions and such.
Keep in mind these are just predictions and current conditions and can change VERY quickly. Not trying to scare you off, just speaking from experience. With a 20' you should be able to handle the bay comfortably up to when you start seeing whitecaps. Then it's time to head for home.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
desertrat said:
Keep in mind these are just predictions and current conditions and can change VERY quickly. Not trying to scare you off, just speaking from experience. With a 20' you should be able to handle the bay comfortably up to when you start seeing whitecaps. Then it's time to head for home.

LOL not much is fun on the bay with White Caps LOL.. I've been around the water all my life so Im used to it and so is my dad. We usually charter boats come late Fall right when the big Rock start coming up into the bay. The idea is a boat that we can take out on the bay occasionally to do some trolling for Rock but also small enough to take crabbing and such on the pax.

We have 4 Jet Ski's between my brother and I that we use most of the summer for playiing around on but I would like something to fish off of. Talk about White caps get stuck in even the pax when the wind kicks up and man your in for a beating and I have big 3 person ones LOL.

A guy on here has a 91 19' Pro Line that looks nice with a 130 hp outboard. Might go and look at that.

Last edited:
A guy on here has a 91 19' Pro Line that looks nice with a 130 hp outboard. Might go and look at that.

That sounds nice. It is hard to get one boat to "do it all".

Vince

My neighbor is moving to Mo. and selling his boat for 12K. 20 or 24'. Nice boat, 2001 or 2002, hardly ever used and I know because everytime it went fishing I went with it. Don't have all the specs, but I'll get them today.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Vince said:
My neighbor is moving to Mo. and selling his boat for 12K. 20 or 24'. Nice boat, 2001 or 2002, hardly ever used and I know because everytime it went fishing I went with it. Don't have all the specs, but I'll get them today.

Yeah Vince please let me know..