What the he##! -- -2-month waiting period to get "Real ID" drivers licenses

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My youngest has had 3 appointments to get his Learner's Permit. Each has been canceled. Next one is for November so we'll see what happens.

1stGenSMIB

How did you submit all the required documents?
When you fill out the form and make the appt, they have a checklist on the website. You can't even make the appt unless you can agree that you have all the documents ready to go. I think they do this so you don't show up 'forgetting' your birth cert/SS card, etc.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When you fill out the form and make the appt, they have a checklist on the website. You can't even make the appt unless you can agree that you have all the documents ready to go. I think they do this so you don't show up 'forgetting' your birth cert/SS card, etc.
I knew all that; had to go through it. ....I mistakenly took your post to mean that a trip to the MVA location was avoided altogether. :yay:

1stGenSMIB

I knew all that; had to go through it. ....I mistakenly took your post to mean that a trip to the MVA location was avoided altogether. :yay:
Oh, nope sorry, I was being mean..my point really was that if I can help my 81 year old stepfather get his real ID, anyone should be able to do it.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
But why would you need to get one before your current license expired??
The State sent out letters just before the Covid lockdown reminding people that their license would no longer be valid for various things (getting in an airplane, maybe going into a Federal courthouse) after Oct. 1. I renewed when I did because my license expired the end of June anyway.

And yes, I know a letter was sent out verifying that an expired license was still valid after expiration due to the pandemic but I thought of two things: 1) when the lockdown ends, and it will, the thousands of people that will need to renew in the 45 day grace period and
2) I live in Calvert County and I question whether either the deputies or the MSP Troopers assigned here would understand that my expired license was still valid even with that letter.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
And getting the real ID license doesn't change the expiration date. If I paid to get a real ID license now, I'd still have to renew it, and pay again, in May when it actually expires.

A passport is a Real ID. I'll wait to do the driver's license and pay once.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Rebel.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
And getting the real ID license doesn't change the expiration date. If I paid to get a real ID license now, I'd still have to renew it, and pay again, in May when it actually expires.

That's what I did.

Tech

Need to renew. Going to do it online since they have all documents already for real I'd but I need to get eye test. Not a problem since I'm due for one but the earliest they have is late October.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
9 November.. I can just picture the office. Where they handled mutiple MVA processes, and did upwards of (guess) 300 transactions a day, they are now MAYBE doing 50?? Have to wonder what all the people are doing that work here.

Ok Karen, I did my 5 customer for the day, your turn!

Though I'd have to say, I'd prefer them doing that, then laying off 90% of their workforce because of the VIRUS!!

1stGenSMIB

Speaking of 'real ids', this thread made me think to check my passport and it expired in 2019!!! Looks like it is easy to renew up to five years later though, and I don't see me going anywhere anytime soon that would require a passport.