What to use for old horse joints

MorganLover

My cherokee with her old age of 30 is having more and more trouble with her joints and getting up stuff like that. What does everyone use that isn't horrible expensive. I was using something for her but it just go too expensive. What does everyone suggest?

R

remaxrealtor

MorganLover said:
My cherokee with her old age of 30 is having more and more trouble with her joints and getting up stuff like that. What does everyone use that isn't horrible expensive. I was using something for her but it just go too expensive. What does everyone suggest?

I'm trying to think of the linament I use on Lou...it's a pale green gel and you can see the difference right away. I don't recall it being too expensive either, I'll get the name and post back!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
MorganLover said:

cosiquin, something like that. It's a bit expensive but you can get a better deal online.

R

remaxrealtor

remaxrealtor said:
I'm trying to think of the linament I use on Lou...it's a pale green gel and you can see the difference right away. I don't recall it being too expensive either, I'll get the name and post back!

Here it is....
Absorbine Liniment Gel

Convenient gel form—easy to apply to hard-to-reach areas. Effective muscle, joint, and arthritis pain reliever. Menthol loosens stiff joints and reduces swelling. 12 ounce gel.

6.95 on horse.com

Good luck, hope your stiff baby is on the mend quickly! :flowers:

SerenitStables

MorganLover said:

Hello,

We are currently using Missing Link with Glucosamine and some of them are on MSM, but that is more for inflammation then anything.

It works great and the horses love it.

~Jen~

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
MorganLover said:

A lot depends on individual horses. I'd talk to your vet too. Certain supplements are said to be ineffective if taken orally.

Some examples of common joint supplements, many of these are combined:
Glucosamine and Chondroitin - commonly used for people/horses with osteoarthritis pain. Helps repair cartlidge.

Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) - comes from dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), which is an anti-inflammatory. Also helps get rid of epiphysitis and can slow down the growth of tumors. Used to help relieve pain.

Yucca - also helps with the popping and cracking of joints.

Hyaluronic acid (HA)- Also useful in treating osteoarthritis, but because when injected it is believed to help increase the presence of synovial fluids in the joints. There is a LOT of debate about whether or not oral forms of HA are truly helpful.

There are tons more options out there.

Example many also come in fluid, powder, or pellet form. Many people believe they are effective in that order too, with fluid being the most absorbed and pellets the least. This has to do a lot with the fact that horses are not good digestors and may not absorb, through digestion, the integral amounts of the supplements.

I feed Equine CortaFlex in the powder form. The bigger containers last for quite a while and cost less by volume. But, no matter which type you choose I'd start with a small container to see if you notice a difference before you shell out tons of money on something you don't think works.

devinej

my mom uses senior flex by mvp i believe. 34 year old "buddy" still gets around pretty well. she still rides him occasionally (walking is all they prefer to do)

covekat

I like Cosoquin, if he is really stiff have your vet give you a tube of Surpass, it is a topical anti-inflamatory, pain reducing cream you rub on (with rubber gloves) daily.

Surpass works great for arthritic knees, ankles and hocks, the only possible side effects may be gastrointestinal upset or ulcers, rare, but there is a warning on the label.

For a horse this age I would also keep them on a daily dose of Probious for proper gut function.

MSM also is helpful in arthritic horses.

Ponytail

devinej said:
my mom uses senior flex by mvp i believe. 34 year old "buddy" still gets around pretty well. she still rides him occasionally (walking is all they prefer to do)

She's asking about what to use on her horses. Not her parents.

:lol:

Last edited:

fredsaid2

Reit-Sport by HorseTech is a great combo supplement; biotin, glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and probiotics with a flax base. They also have a version with hyaluronic acid. They're a great company to work with and will just about tailor anything they have to suit your needs. I'd check w/ your vet for his recommendation, he may be familiar w/ the company, or prefer another product line. Good luck!