What to wear? Opinions, please.

C

CalvertNewbie

Hubby & I have a work function to attend on Saturday night. It's being held at McCormick and Schmicks, a nice restaurant but not over the top. It'll be our first full night away from the baby. :bawl: :otter: :buddies:

The guys were told to wear suits. The ladies don't want to be over/under dressed. Ladies, based on what the guys will be wearing and the fact that it's at a restaurant, what would you wear? Skirt, dress, short, long?

kvj21075

Meow
Hubby & I have a work function to attend on Saturday night. It's being held at McCormick and Schmicks, a nice restaurant but not over the top. It'll be our first full night away from the baby. :bawl: :otter: :buddies:

The guys were told to wear suits. The ladies don't want to be over/under dressed. Ladies, based on what the guys will be wearing and the fact that it's at a restaurant, what would you wear? Skirt, dress, short, long?
bathrobe :buddies: orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ a SNUGGIE!!!!! :yahoo: its the new thing, really!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I love black slacks and have a ton of them. I wear them to work, weddings, functions, etc. Matched with a nice shirt, it is a good look.

A simple one-color dress would work for your event. If you don't have anything, Marshalls/Ross/TJ Maxx carry good stuff for cheap. Have fun - M&S is a yummy place to eat!

Radiant1

Soul Probe

A dress, below the knees but above the ankles. Nothing too fancy but something fairly conservative since it's a work function without it being actual business attire. Make sense?

If you're anything like me, your first night away from baby you'll think you hear him/her crying. Don't freak out, don't call the babysitter every 15 minutes, and try to enjoy your evening. :smile:

Hmm, It's a pretty nice place...do you have any dressy capris?

bathrobe :buddies: orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ a SNUGGIE!!!!! :yahoo: its the new thing, really!

Hehe, I have a snuggie.

Seamaid

I think a dress.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
A simple black/dark neutral cocktail dress, at or around knee length, would be appropriate. Nothing trampy, sequined or particularly "shiny".

Or, when in doubt, a black pant-suit with a colorful blouse underneath is always versatile enough to be worn to a business casual function.

C

CalvertNewbie

A dress and the length depends on how your legs look. :yay:

Legs look pretty decent but I have a tatoo on my ankle. It's a heart w/ 2 roses, so nothing really "inappropriate".

I love black slacks and have a ton of them. I wear them to work, weddings, functions, etc. Matched with a nice shirt, it is a good look.

A simple one-color dress would work for your event. If you don't have anything, Marshalls/Ross/TJ Maxx carry good stuff for cheap. Have fun - M&S is a yummy place to eat!

I do, too. I was thinking of wearing black slacks but what kind of shirt would you recommend? Don't want to be underdressed.

A dress, below the knees but above the ankles. Nothing too fancy but something fairly conservative since it's a work function without it being actual business attire. Make sense?

If you're anything like me, your first night away from baby you'll think you hear him/her crying. Don't freak out, don't call the babysitter every 15 minutes, and try to enjoy your evening. :smile:

Luckily, the babysitters are my inlaws and they're great with him. The people, including the big bosses, love to party so I think I'll sleep pretty soundly Saturday night.

Any of the dresses on this link should give you a good idea of what would be appropriate to wear. Evening Dresses at Macy's. Buy Cocktail Dresses & Formal Dresses. - Macy's

You may already have something in your closet that resembles that is pictured, or you can find something locally and for less money than what is pictured. But the link does show some good options for what would be nice to wear for your dinner.

Have fun!

That's kind of what I had in mind, something along those lines. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CalvertNewbie

A simple black/dark neutral cocktail dress, at or around knee length, would be appropriate. Nothing trampy, sequined or particularly "shiny".

Or, when in doubt, a black pant-suit with a colorful blouse underneath is always versatile enough to be worn to a business casual function.

Yep, a black blazer is always safe. Professional & comfy. No, won't wear anything trampy. :lol: We went to the company XMAS party at a country club and one of the manager's girlfriends was dressed like she was looking to make a little money on the side. Wasn't a pretty sight.

C

CalvertNewbie

Start with a smile :biggrin: Everything else will just come naturally :cheers: Your first night out with your hubby and no baby, enjoy every moment.

Yeah, we're looking forward to it. We'll miss the little one but I know we'll have a lot of fun. The event itself will have a casual feel, that's how the owner & corporate are.

Just my opinion but showing any tat at a semi-formal work function is definitely inappropriate. Go for the pants. :yay:

They've all seen the tat (we went on a business trip last year) but I know what you mean. I always covered it up at work, especially when conducting training classes or interviews.

I also have some long skirts that aren't too dressy (used to wear them at work all the time, which had a business casual dress code). Better get to my closet and start trying on some stuff in case I need to go shopping. :cheesy:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

I concur.

I concur with both.

Just my opinion but showing any tat at a semi-formal work function is definitely inappropriate. Go for the pants. :yay:

I disagree.

Black pants with a weather appropriate dressier tank/sleevless shirt would look good.

I have a just below knee length black dress that I use often for occasions like this.

I have tattoos on my ankle, covering the top of my foot and on my shoulder that very often show and even at the most formal event have never been looked at cross eyed. I also work in an environment where you have to wear nice clothes daily. My ankle and top of foot are usually seen in the warmer months.