What to wear to dinner?

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
My husband and I are meeting some friends tomorrow evening at Charlie Palmer Steakhouse (http://www.charliepalmersteak.com/steak_dc/home.html) in D.C....someone here was kind enough to have recommended it a while back when I started a thread about fine dining in D.C.

The website says "business casual"; but it's on Capitol Hill and it's an evening dinner, so my husband was going to wear a gray business suit and tie, and I was planning on a tasteful black cocktail dress (halter style, loose A skirt to the knee). This seemed appropriate to me simply having viewed the website.

One of my friends calls me today and informs me that she's wearing white jeans and a black shirt, while her husband is going to wear some khakis and a polo shirt.

So, having never been there before, I ask those of you who have: Which couple is going to look appropriate, and which are going to look like @zzholes?

Help! :jameo:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
You're always going to be better off being overdressed than underdressed in a situation like this.

greyhound

I'm with Nickle & Rose....

Looking at the inside of the restaurant from the website, I would go with the suit & black dress.

jenbengen

Watch it
I'd stick with what you chose to wear. Being where it is located, you will certainly not be the only ones dressed nicely. I think you made the right choice.

Mikeinsmd

Club'nBabySeals said:
My husband and I are meeting some friends tomorrow evening at Charlie Palmer Steakhouse (http://www.charliepalmersteak.com/steak_dc/home.html) in D.C....someone here was kind enough to have recommended it a while back when I started a thread about fine dining in D.C.

The website says "business casual"; but it's on Capitol Hill and it's an evening dinner, so my husband was going to wear a gray business suit and tie, and I was planning on a tasteful black cocktail dress (halter style, loose A skirt to the knee). This seemed appropriate to me simply having viewed the website.

One of my friends calls me today and informs me that she's wearing white jeans and a black shirt, while her husband is going to wear some khakis and a polo shirt.

So, having never been there before, I ask those of you who have: Which couple is going to look appropriate, and which are going to look like @zzholes?

Help! :jameo:
Hey, bring me a buffalo wing would ya?

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!

It sounds like it is professional casual. I think the black dress would be appropriate, but keep it casual (no flashy jewelry or fancy hairdo). Keep it nice and simple, don't overdo, but, I DO recommend:

Upon arrival, scope out the surroundings. In case your friend underestimated that formality of the event, I would bring a dressier/fancier pair of shoes and nicer jewelry (and quickie makeup) that you can quickly change in the car, or just-in-case you want to go to a ritzier place.

Have fun!!!.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Club'nBabySeals said:
Which couple is going to look appropriate, and which are going to look like @zzholes?
You two will be slightly overdressed and your friends will look like bums.

The guys should wear slacks, a shirt and tie (no jacket). The ladies should wear a pair of dressy slacks or a long casual skirt and a nice blouse.

But if you want to dress up and make a night of it, wear the suit and dress. You won't be the only ones there dressed up like that, but your friend WILL be the only one in jeans.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
It went well.

Vrai was right...my husband and I were a tad on the dressier end of the scale, while our friends looked like low-rent yokels. Most of the other patrons were in dress slacks with a button down shirt and tie, or casual dresses.

The food was yummy, yummy...although I was slightly annoyed that they only feature American wines. I had the Kobe beef, and my husband had the Australian wagyu. They sure know how to serve a cut of meat there. :yay:

Thanks for the help, ladies!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Club'nBabySeals said:
It went well.

Vrai was right...my husband and I were a tad on the dressier end of the scale, while our friends looked like low-rent yokels. Most of the other patrons were in dress slacks with a button down shirt and tie, or casual dresses.

The food was yummy, yummy...although I was slightly annoyed that they only feature American wines. I had the Kobe beef, and my husband had the Australian wagyu. They sure know how to serve a cut of meat there. :yay:

Thanks for the help, ladies!
Excellent! :yay: