What was your very first job?

kenisgod1

Besides working on my grandparents farm, my first tax paying job at 15 was a Busboy at Chesapeake Bay Seafood House in Waldorf. I miss smelling like Old Bay Seasoning.......

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
My first job was at 12, blowing the accumulated dust webs and bugs out of the back of TV sets for the technicians to work on. The next year I graduated to taking all of the tubes out and run them across the road to the drug store to use the tube tester.

BigBlue

At the ripe old age of 14 I was a bellhop at an old Victorian Hotel on the New Jersey shore ,all stairs no elevators.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Babysitting. Then in high school and college, I worked at my dad's office in the summers. He was a geophysicist for Amoco (previously Standard Oil and was the guy that said drill here). His office building which is something else now was on Lee Circle in NOLA. Some of the best memories ever.

Agee

At the ripe old age of 14 I was a bellhop at an old Victorian Hotel on the New Jersey shore ,all stairs no elevators.

Bet you have some stories! do you remember your biggest/best tip? Not limited to $...

Rommey

I did the paper "route" thing if you want to call it that. I would go room to room at the hospital across the street from the school I went to when I was in the 8th grade selling papers for 10 cents each. About the same timeframe, I mowed about 10 different people's lawns (no power tools). I was mowing lawns almost every day, but it was relatively easy. On Saturdays I would also work at a coin laundry for a couple of hours cleaning and stocking.

First job that gave me an actual paycheck was when I was 16 and worked at a sub shop...for about 3 months until the owner shut it down. Started flipping burgers at Jack-in-the-Box after that.

xobxdoc

Bussed tables at the Sheraton Resort Inn just outside Disney World. Best job, I was a bell hop at the Holiday Inn outside Disney.

BOP

I did the paper "route" thing if you want to call it that. I would go room to room at the hospital across the street from the school I went to when I was in the 8th grade selling papers for 10 cents each. About the same timeframe, I mowed about 10 different people's lawns (no power tools). I was mowing lawns almost every day, but it was relatively easy. On Saturdays I would also work at a coin laundry for a couple of hours cleaning and stocking.

First job that gave me an actual paycheck was when I was 16 and worked at a sub shop...for about 3 months until the owner shut it down. Started flipping burgers at Jack-in-the-Box after that.

California?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
My first "real" tax paying job was at the Diana dress store in the Lexington Park. I was only there a short time before I began working for a savings & loan in Washington, DC.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not to get off topic but I am curious about something, will there be any jobs for 16 to 22 year olds in the future. With the push to raise the minimum wage and people trying to turn what used to be jobs for kids into careers where will the kids work? I am seeing less and less young people working fast food and retail jobs but I know there are a lot of young people in the county, so where are they working?

Kids don't have jobs these days, at least not in the numbers we did. Parents want their spawn to "have it better than they did" so kids play sports and take lessons; Mommy and Dad give them pretty much everything they want. Our generation, if you wanted stuff you pretty much had to have a job because the 'rents weren't going to buy you those Chic jeans or hand you cash every time you wanted to go out with your friends. They'd help us with a car, maybe, and put us on their insurance, but you can forget forking over gas money.

But you do see a lot of young people working fast food around here. Not sure if they're high school or college because I can't tell ages anymore.

Vince

Kids don't have jobs these days, at least not in the numbers we did. Parents want their spawn to "have it better than they did" so kids play sports and take lessons; Mommy and Dad give them pretty much everything they want. Our generation, if you wanted stuff you pretty much had to have a job because the 'rents weren't going to buy you those Chic jeans or hand you cash every time you wanted to go out with your friends. They'd help us with a car, maybe, and put us on their insurance, but you can forget forking over gas money.
But you do see a lot of young people working fast food around here. Not sure if they're high school or college because I can't tell ages anymore.
Nope. Didn't get that either. Saved up over $1000 for my first car pumping gas and working on cars. Bought a 1970 Chevelle. Loved that car. Paid for my own gas and insurance working in my Uncles Paint store loading and unloading boxes of paint, carpet and linoleum.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nope. Didn't get that either. Saved up over $1000 for my first car pumping gas and working on cars.

My mom likes to tell people she helped me buy my first car. What she means by that is she drove me around to look at prospects. :lol:

I think parents buy their kids cars and shower them with cash so they can brag. It's a sign of success or something, how bad you can spoil your kid.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
First paying job, worked for a landscaping company. Mowed grass in the summer time, and shoveled snow in the winter time. Doubled up and worked at a factory making resistors and transistors from 3-11.. up at 4:30 to meet the "crew" to get to the jobsite, then 6 - 2 mowing or shoveling, than 3-11 at the factory. I did the silicone press, that put the rubber around the transistor, dipped the ends in gold or silver, and painted the little lines on them (by hand mostly) to tell you what kind of transistor it was. Had all kinds of money then because I didn't have any time to spend any of it.

Before that, my VERY first job was using the snowblower in the hood to do driveways..

Janitor at a Nursing Home.

Dishwasher at Week's Family Restaurant..

ARMY..

First paying job, worked for a landscaping company. Mowed grass in the summer time, and shoveled snow in the winter time. Doubled up and worked at a factory making resistors and transistors from 3-11.. up at 4:30 to meet the "crew" to get to the jobsite, then 6 - 2 mowing or shoveling, than 3-11 at the factory. I did the silicone press, that put the rubber around the transistor, dipped the ends in gold or silver, and painted the little lines on them (by hand mostly) to tell you what kind of transistor it was. Had all kinds of money then because I didn't have any time to spend any of it.

Before that, my VERY first job was using the snowblower in the hood to do driveways..

Janitor at a Nursing Home.

Dishwasher at Week's Family Restaurant..

ARMY..
I truly believe you and BG are going to ensure Bubba is a working lad who learns the importance of a job well done no matter how menial the tasks, the value of a dollar and the pride in doing for himself. As much as you drive me nuts I do admit you are a "man-up" guy and I do understand why BG picked you as the father of her child and between the both of you you are raising a charismatic, strong, self-sufficient, provider of a man which is rare these days.... :clap:

Vince

I truly believe you and BG are going to ensure Bubba is a working lad who learns the importance of a job well done no matter how menial the tasks, the value of a dollar and the pride in doing for himself. As much as you drive me nuts I do admit you are a "man-up" guy and I do understand why BG picked you as the father of her child and between the both of you you are raising a charismatic, strong, self-sufficient, provider of a man which is rare these days.... :clap:
He had Bubba on the tractor mowing grass when he was 5 years old. :lol:

SoMDGirl42

by the time I was 12, my mother made it very clear that she was NOT going to pay $29.00 for a pair of Nike swish shoes I wanted or the OP shirts or designer jeans I wanted for school. So from 6th grade on I babysat all summer and saved my money so I could buy my own school clothes and school supplies. She never bought me a car and rarely let me borrow hers. I played sports in school, but I had to find my own rides to every game and my own ride home from practice. That babysitting money came in real handy when I had to pay my friends gas money to take me everywhere. And when I got home, I better have dinner started! My first "real" job was in a nursing home taking care of the elderly. I only lasted a few months because the care they received horrified me. I couldn't take it. It was abuse. Plain and simple.