What would you do?

DeeCee

A horse of course!
If you felt strongly that you had been used to facilitate insurance fraud?

I traded saddles with a lady. The one I received was badly damaged. She claimed it was damaged during shipping, said it was insured for 600.00 and agreed to pay for the extensive repair. This is a saddle valued at 2K.

The DRing under the concho on top of the damaged area was upside down, so I know it had been examined prior to being sent to me and was not damaged during shipping. I sent pix to both her and the mfg with my comments. Her response was to tell me the mfg told her to tell me to "only answer the questions I was asked by UPS and don't mention the DRing issue" or they wouldn't pay the claim. DUH ya think?

So i shipped the saddle to the mfg, who tells me its a major repair and will take a minimum of 2 weeks, which doesn't include return shipping time. Meanwhile she has my beautiful nearly new saddle. :cds:

Her email address is saddlesister. She was at a tack auction when i called her about the issue.

I will love the saddle once it's repaired, it's exactly what i wanted and feel it's a fair trade. I just have a major issue with being used to facilitate insurance fraud and don't know if it's her AND the mfg or just her. I suspect its just her.
any suggestions?

If i do anything, it will be AFTER i get the saddle back and am satisfied with the repair.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I have a big jug of vaseline you can have or a gallon of mineral oil...:smoochy:

:bonk: SOOO not helpful. :frown:

Calling the hay guy today, been looking for my home phone directory all week to get his number, told RC this morning and he said....uh stop looking - it's in my briefcase :rolleyes: MEN :tantrum

mingiz

Horse Poor
Always do expensive transactions live. If it sounds to good then it usually isn't. Chalk it up and learn from it...:coffee:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Oh I'm going to be happy with the trade itself the saddle is equal to mine in value.

Should I persue that fact that she's committing insurance fraud since I KNOW the saddle wasn't damaged in transit and she specifically told me to "only answer the questions UPS asks me and don't volunteer any additional info" - ie: the fact that I could tell the damage had been looked at before it was ever shipped to me.

TurboK9

Oh I'm going to be happy with the trade itself the saddle is equal to mine in value.

Should I persue that fact that she's committing insurance fraud since I KNOW the saddle wasn't damaged in transit and she specifically told me to "only answer the questions UPS asks me and don't volunteer any additional info" - ie: the fact that I could tell the damage had been looked at before it was ever shipped to me.

If you don't, you are as guilty as she is, since the insurance money is repairing what is now YOUR saddle. :shrug: IMHO, anyway.

mingiz

Horse Poor

Well why not ...you going to harbor a criminal? RC may not like that....:lmao:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I traded saddles with a lady. The one I received was badly damaged. She claimed it was damaged during shipping, said it was insured for 600.00 and agreed to pay for the extensive repair. This is a saddle valued at 2K.

Why would someone insure a two-thousand dollar saddle for only $600?

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Why would someone insure a two-thousand dollar saddle for only $600?
I had the same question and definately thought it was an odd figure when she told me she had insured it, after i called her about the damage. We hadn't discussed insurance at all prior to sending them out although we should have I guess. With UPS if i insured the one i sent for it's replacement value the cost would have doubled the shipping fee (35.00 to 70.00), and the guy at staples said he's never had UPS loose a package from them, it would prolly arrive fine, so i didn't insure it. It also never occurred to me to insure it for less than the value, because i was worried about theft or loss not repairs.

That's probably what the estimate to fix it cost. :lol:
I also wonder if the manufacturer of the saddle isn't somehow invloved like maybe she had already estimated it for the previous owner? I don't know what the exact cost of the repairs were yet, the repaired saddle is scheduled to arrive at my door Friday. Maybe she'll put a summary in the box.

Last edited: