What would you do?

Would you keep the money?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
baileydog said:
What liability? Heres your purse with all your ID and no money, sorry. Be happy you get it back. Tell them thats the way you found it.
Wow, what a statement. Your parents failed you. :ohwell:

sockgirl77

elaine said:
Then you explain it. How is it that having a large amount of cash makes one a bad person?
WHAT IS THE REALITY OF SOMEONE HAVING $200,000 CASH ON THEM?

BETTER YET, WHAT IS THE REALITY OF SOMEONE HAVING $200,000 IN CASH ON THEM DONATING IT TO CHARITY?

AND IF THEY HAD GOOD INTENTIONS WITH THE MONEY, WOULDN'T THEY HAVE REPORTED IT MISSING OR GONE BACK TO FIND IT?

Steve

Enjoying life!
sockgirl77 said:
I would have done the same thing. Finding a purse is totally different than finding $200,000 in cash laying around.
:yeahthat:

I have lost my wallet a few times. It was returned once, sans cash of course. Christy lost her purse once; actually it was stolen from her at a nightclub while she and some friends danced right next to the table. These are very different cases than finding a satchel full of loot, and you all know it.

If you did find that much money and took it to the police, do you think they'd actively seek the proper owner? No. They would wait until someone came to claim it. If no one did, and the police actually gave it back to you as the finder, you'd likely have to pay income tax on it or some such nonsense. So the money stays with me!

Now, let's say I'm home that night and I'm counting all those $20's and $50's and I hear on the news that someone lost their life savings and they are desperately seeking some assistance in finding it. Then I would turn it in. But I'd be damn stupid just to let it go to some third person.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
sockgirl77 said:
No, it makes you an honest person. Larry has no effing clue what he'd do if he found $200,000 in cash. I'm sure that he has never been in the situation. None of us has. It's probably a bit different when you are sitting in front of the cash.
Again, regardless of the situation, it's all based on your personal code of ethics. It shouldn't matter how much was in the bag or if it was a purse, as it shouldn't make any difference in how you look at it IMHO. It wouldn't matter to me if it were $20, $2,000, or $200k, I would not keep it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
sockgirl77 said:
No, it makes you an honest person. Larry has no effing clue what he'd do if he found $200,000 in cash. I'm sure that he has never been in the situation. None of us has. It's probably a bit different when you are sitting in front of the cash.

Let me tell you unequivocally that Larry would NEVER keep the cash. And I would never keep the cash. It's a matter honesty and integrity. I don't need to have $200,000 in cash sitting in front of me to know that I possess those qualities.

Last edited:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
kwillia said:
Wow, what a statement. Your parents failed you. :ohwell:

Yes they did, but thats beside the point. All I was saying was if I lost my purse with say $50 in it and you found it and took my money, but called me to say you found it on the street and I could come get it, I would be thankful just to get my ID and stuff back. You can keep the money, I just dont want to be cancelling credit cards and going to MVA and all that crap. Thanks for finding my purse.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
sockgirl77 said:
WHAT IS THE REALITY OF SOMEONE HAVING $200,000 CASH ON THEM?

BETTER YET, WHAT IS THE REALITY OF SOMEONE HAVING $200,000 IN CASH ON THEM DONATING IT TO CHARITY?

AND IF THEY HAD GOOD INTENTIONS WITH THE MONEY, WOULDN'T THEY HAVE REPORTED IT MISSING OR GONE BACK TO FIND IT?

Just because you don't have that much cash to carry around in your pocket does not mean that someone else doesn't. That's the reality. As for the chance of someone making anonymous cash donations, happens all the time. And lastly, people report money missing all the time. Doesn't mean that they had good intentions, or bad intentions. It just means they lost their money and hope that someone honest finds it.

cattitude said:
Let me tell you unquivocally that Larry would NEVER keep the cash. And I would never keep the cash. It's a matter honesty and integrity. I don't need to have $200,000 in cash sitting in front of me to know that I possess those qualities.
:yeahthat: Exactly.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Doesn't that say it all?

Come on, if I found a bag with $20 in it or $200,000, no one would find me after the fact, and not because I'm hiding. I guess that makes me of lesser character than you.

No one could find you or would find you, therefore it's OK. Why of course. Who, in there right mind, would bother trying to find $200,000?

I'm not calling it a cime to keep the money. You might live happily ever after and that's the key, as long as it's no biggee to you our how you conduct yourself. I'd never know.

Would you turn it in if you happened to look up after picking up the money if you saw a security camera aimed in your direction?

Call it paranoid but Great Britain found 3 or 4 individuals in a week. Gas stations have them. Most stores.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You don't KNOW...

Let me tell you unequivocally that Larry would NEVER keep the cash.

...that as a FACT. What if Vrai was really sick or out of smokes and we were broke or some other serious emergency and I HAD to have the money?

There was a 1976 Gibson Brydland on Ebay last week...went for $14,000

Iif that bastard had been a lefty...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Officer! Officer!

I was, uh, speeding, yeah, to uh, uhmmm, turn in this lost money..."

:wah:

Then get a ticket anyway.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
sockgirl77 said:
I could see someone decent having $5000 on them on the way to make a bank deposit. But, they would report it missing or retrace their tracks within minutes!
Who would they report it to? Do you get an e-mail every time somebody loses a dollar? If you don't turn in in to the cops you'll never know if it was reported as lost.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Larry Gude said:
...that as a FACT. What if Vrai was really sick or out of smokes and we were broke or some other serious emergency and I HAD to have the money?

There was a 1976 Gibson Brydland on Ebay last week...went for $14,000

Iif that bastard had been a lefty...

I know :cool:

Steve

Enjoying life!
aps45819 said:
Who would they report it to? Do you get an e-mail every time somebody loses a dollar? If you don't turn in in to the cops you'll never know if it was reported as lost.
What is the cut-off amount anyway? If I find a dollar, should I look for the rightful owner? $10? $20? How about $200, that's a decent week's salary for some. What makes one amount any different than another?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Steve said:
What is the cut-off amount anyway? If I find a dollar, should I look for the rightful owner? $10? $20? How about $200, that's a decent week's salary for some. What makes one amount any different than another?

If you lost a dollar at the fairgrounds, would you try to find it? $10, $20? How 'bout $200?

There's your answer.

elaine said:
If you lost a dollar at the fairgrounds, would you try to find it? $10, $20? How 'bout $200?

There's your answer.
:yeahthat: And a free blowing $20 is a different story than a $20 tucked in a container (purse, bag, wallet, plastic frog, whatever) that someone could claim by identifying.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
As much as I'd like to keep the money and use it as fun money, there is no way that I could keep it. Clearly, it belongs to someone other than me, and perhaps someone who needs it much more than I do. I'd go out of my way to find the rightful owner, and if that didn't pan out, I'd turn it over to the police. If the money never did find the true owner and the police turned the money back over to me, I'd probably donate it to Hospice or something like that.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
kwillia said:
:yeahthat: And a free blowing $20 is a different story than a $20 tucked in a container (purse, bag, wallet, plastic frog, whatever) that someone could claim by identifying.

Exactly. I'm not a saint. I've pocketed my fair share of trampled bills, but then I've also left a few to be trampled, and found. Even if I lost $200 to the winds, I'd contact someone and say "If someone turns in $200, this is my number". And if I found $200, I'd turn it in.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
BadGirl said:
As much as I'd like to keep the money and use it as fun money, there is no way that I could keep it. Clearly, it belongs to someone other than me, and perhaps someone who needs it much more than I do. I'd go out of my way to find the rightful owner, and if that didn't pan out, I'd turn it over to the police. If the money never did find the true owner and the police turned the money back over to me, I'd probably donate it to Hospice or something like that.

Even after the cops tell you that you can keep it, you'd still give it away. Are you nuts?