What's annoying me today

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm trying to enjoy the various fitness magazines I read - Women's Health, Self, etc - but it seems they are primarily geared toward selling me expensive beauty products and clothing, or talking about sex. There's a lot of fad science as well, which is really irritating. What I want are workout plans, diet motivators, and maybe some food suggestions/reminders. Some product highlights are great - I like trying new things and I'd have never known that Skechers sneakers come with a memory foam insole if my mag hadn't had an advertisement for them. But pages upon pages of $40 mascaras and $120 face creams is ridiculous - there are other magazines that are geared toward that sort of thing (that I don't buy because I don't care). A huge fashion section is silly in a health/fitness magazine. That's what InStyle and those mags are for.

I feel like their main objective is to sell me a bunch of expensive junk I don't need. And yes, I wrote them a letter with my objections.

Anyway, is there a magazine out there that is more suited to my interests without all the crap?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Here's a no-nonsense workout book. It gets bonus points for having a patriotic theme. YMMV

navysealbook2.jpg

tommyjo

I'm trying to enjoy the various fitness magazines I read - Women's Health, Self, etc - but it seems they are primarily geared toward selling me expensive beauty products and clothing, or talking about sex. There's a lot of fad science as well, which is really irritating. What I want are workout plans, diet motivators, and maybe some food suggestions/reminders. Some product highlights are great - I like trying new things and I'd have never known that Skechers sneakers come with a memory foam insole if my mag hadn't had an advertisement for them. But pages upon pages of $40 mascaras and $120 face creams is ridiculous - there are other magazines that are geared toward that sort of thing (that I don't buy because I don't care). A huge fashion section is silly in a health/fitness magazine. That's what InStyle and those mags are for.

I feel like their main objective is to sell me a bunch of expensive junk I don't need. And yes, I wrote them a letter with my objections.

Anyway, is there a magazine out there that is more suited to my interests without all the crap?

Why would you expect a magazine to not have advertisements in it? What do you think their business is, providing information? No, they in the business of selling ad space...same as this silly site...same as Facebook. Lordy.

If all you want is a workout routine and dietary suggestions, why don't you go see a personal trainer for a few months?

In the end, if this is all that is annoying you, then you are having a pretty good day...reward yourself with half a box of Krispy Kremes, then go for a run.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why would you expect a magazine to not have advertisements in it? What do you think their business is, providing information? No, they in the business of selling ad space...same as this silly site...same as Facebook. Lordy.

If all you want is a workout routine and dietary suggestions, why don't you go see a personal trainer for a few months?

In the end, if this is all that is annoying you, then you are having a pretty good day...reward yourself with half a box of Krispy Kremes, then go for a run.

I don't run because it's too hard on my knees, so there. :razz:

Anyway, thanks to Amazon's trial program, I found the magazine that suits me: Oxygen. Muscle and Fitness Hers was a little too hardcore.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I don't run because it's too hard on my knees, so there. :razz:

Anyway, thanks to Amazon's trial program, I found the magazine that suits me: Oxygen. Muscle and Fitness Hers was a little too hardcore.

I used to get those fitness magazines too but never renewed my subscription for the same reasons. They were just like my girly magazines. Just felt like a waste of money. I get my fit-spo off Pinterest now. :coffee:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Here's a no-nonsense workout book. It gets bonus points for having a patriotic theme. YMMV

View attachment 109338

Stupid post has me remembering things I haven’t thought about in over 20 years. There were a bunch of “frog” bars around little creek, the Duck Inn was one, we used to drive zodiacs onto the beach and eat there, another one was Boots & Saddles. I bet you can guess what kind of bar it was. Any way I was single then and one Friday night I met a girl there. She was stunning, but in the dark lighting what I thought was a light blonde ended up being grey when the sun came up. I was in my early 20’s and my new cougar girlfriend was closing in on 40 :lol: We both knew it wasn’t going to last and agreed to see other people but still go out occasionally.

She was a publisher and always had stacks of newly released books in her car and I’d help her take them to a warehouse in VA beach sometimes. Anyway, Lt. Smith was talking on the quarterdeck one day about trying to get a book of his published (this was when Dick Marcinko was pumping them out) and I told him I’d introduce him to my girlfriend and maybe she could help him out.

A few weeks after I introduced them he said he needed to talk with me.

They started fooling around and he wanted to let me know. :lol:

I told him it was cool, I guess she didn’t tell him our agreement, but I wonder if she had anything to do with his books getting published.

Last edited: