What's for dinner?

frequentflier

happy to be living
Veggie shish Kabobs marinated in Italian Dressing, cajun Andoulle sausage, chicken breasts, COTC and beef sausage on the new grill. Salad. Wine.
Since it is supposed to rain for the next few days, we are cooking enough to eat off of for a couple days. (stocked up on wine today, too :) )

ontheriver

Veggie shish Kabobs marinated in Italian Dressing, cajun Andoulle sausage, chicken breasts, COTC and beef sausage on the new grill. Salad. Wine.
Since it is supposed to rain for the next few days, we are cooking enough to eat off of for a couple days. (stocked up on wine today, too :) )

My favorite White Zin is Buehler. Bought a bottle a year or more ago at Front Porch. Couldn't find it anywhere. I finally was able to order it but had to get a case (12 bottles). I'm good for a while. Also found a great Merlot, Mojave
Rain. Can't find that anywhere but it was so nice. :bawl:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Soft crabs were perfect, great start to the summer season I still have 2 left for lunch. :thewave:
Local guy we get ours from has been shedding/cleaning some really large ones lately...almost "too big" for my liking. I like mine just the right size to fit sandwich bread with only some legs hanging out.

UglyBear

I know you're talking about large soft crabs but it made me wonder if you could eat whales and sure enough when I looked it up - people eat whale meat. That sounds like something @Gilligan would eat especially since they eat them in Norway. Anyone ever tried it?
Yep, tried it in Iceland.
the choice was between horse meat, shark and whale. Shark I had before, horse I can get at other places, so whale won.
It was kinda like fishy beef, not exactly memorable. I would eat it to survive, but would not be my first choice.
Now the fun question is: whale meat compared to Rocky Mountain oysters? Had both, but don’t remember either well enough to make a comparison.

PJay

Soft crabs were perfect, great start to the summer season I still have 2 left for lunch. :thewave:

I had one once..a really nice lady made me a soft shell sandwich. She also put tomato etc. on it. I didn't really care for it. Eating the whole crab like that was weird.

How do you cook it? Coating etc.?

phreddyp

I had one once..a really nice lady made me a soft shell sandwich. She also put tomato etc. on it. I didn't really care for it. Eating the whole crab like that was weird.

How do you cook it? Coating etc.?
Self rising flour.
Paprika
salt
pepper

Mix all ingredients together , clean soft crabs , dredge in mix shake off excess. Heat canola oil to about 400 degrees , put in crab apron down cook couple minutes turn over crab cook another couple minutes ( by now they should be floating ) flip again cook another couple minutes , remove from oil let drain.

I prefer plain white bread with lettuce , home grown tomato and mayo .. ENJOY

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know you're talking about large soft crabs but it made me wonder if you could eat whales and sure enough when I looked it up - people eat whale meat. That sounds like something @Gilligan would eat especially since they eat them in Norway. Anyone ever tried it?
oh heck yeah...I've eaten it numerous times and it is very good. Back in late 80s or early 90s when Norway announced to the world that they were resuming commercial whaling on a very controlled basis, the "world" went nuts. I happened to be living there at the time. I ended up with a really cool t-shirt with a cartoon that depicted a whale between two buns with lettuce and tomato and the caption said something like "yes, we love the whales and we eat them too"....that's a rough translation from Norsk. Anywho..I had a lot of fun wearing that t-shirt here in the "land of the Karens" even though that's not what we called them back then...LOL.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Self rising flour.
Paprika
salt
pepper

Mix all ingredients together , clean soft crabs , dredge in mix shake off excess. Heat canola oil to about 400 degrees , put in crab apron down cook couple minutes turn over crab cook another couple minutes ( by now they should be floating ) flip again cook another couple minutes , remove from oil let drain.

I prefer plain white bread with lettuce , home grown tomato and mayo .. ENJOY
My brother is the ace soft crab cooker here...he pan fries them and his coating is a JO product mostly. I'm 100% with you on the bread, lettuce, tomato and mayo... Dang, now I'm hungry for a soft crab sammich...

phreddyp

My brother is the ace soft crab cooker here...he pan fries them and his coating is a JO product mostly. I'm 100% with you on the bread, lettuce, tomato and mayo... Dang, now I'm hungry for a soft crab sammich...
I thought it would get to you ! :yahoo: This was a friends mom's recipe she was from Cambridge , on the Choptank river her mantra was with soft crabs was simpler is better and to tell you the truth I agree .