What's happening across from Toot's?

SamSpade

I mean, it's long overdue - the old furniture store was beginning to be covered in weeds and vines, and half of it as of this writing is gone.
Finally.

Any idea what's taking its place?

SamSpade

I know the Greenery isn't "open" as far as being a place to shop for plants and stuff. But it looks totally abandoned now.
Is it officially gone, now? Buildings look like something out of a post apocalyptic movie.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I know the Greenery isn't "open" as far as being a place to shop for plants and stuff. But it looks totally abandoned now.
Is it officially gone, now? Buildings look like something out of a post apocalyptic movie.
I think they've been closed for a few years now.

SamSpade

I think they've been closed for a few years now.
Ah - I found their website - they closed in March of last year. Owners chose to retire.
So - added to the removal of the furniture place - we have Greenery closed, putt-putt gone for YEARS - that whole area is just a ghost town, not to mention how many of the remaining buildings in "downtown" Hollywood left empty.

Odd. Just up the street, Dollar General, Tractor Supply and even Bruster's - in the wintertime - seem to do just fine.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ah - I found their website - they closed in March of last year. Owners chose to retire.
So - added to the removal of the furniture place - we have Greenery closed, putt-putt gone for YEARS - that whole area is just a ghost town, not to mention how many of the remaining buildings in "downtown" Hollywood left empty.

Odd. Just up the street, Dollar General, Tractor Supply and even Bruster's - in the wintertime - seem to do just fine.
Many years ago, there was talk of condos going up in that area, but I don't think the water/sewer was able to accommodate that. Same as the vacant lot on the corner of MD Rd and Joy Chapel.

SamSpade

Many years ago, there was talk of condos going up in that area, but I don't think the water/sewer was able to accommodate that. Same as the vacant lot on the corner of MD Rd and Joy Chapel.

When I first moved to Southern Maryland in the 90's, everywhere I looked was a place where I hoped more development, stores and the like would appear. Twenty plus years later has definitely changed my attitude and I greatly appreciate the quiet, and prefer to keep things just as they are. I'm not at all happy with just how much farmland has turned into housing developments, especially on my street.

On the other hand - the "downtown" has just turned into LESS stuff. No Greenery or Thompson's, no putt-putt or batting cage or golf tees, no antique store. I'm good without MORE development - just not crazy about LESS.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When I first moved to Southern Maryland in the 90's, everywhere I looked was a place where I hoped more development, stores and the like would appear. Twenty plus years later has definitely changed my attitude and I greatly appreciate the quiet, and prefer to keep things just as they are. I'm not at all happy with just how much farmland has turned into housing developments, especially on my street.

On the other hand - the "downtown" has just turned into LESS stuff. No Greenery or Thompson's, no putt-putt or batting cage or golf tees, no antique store. I'm good without MORE development - just not crazy about LESS.
Ahh... The Estates at Joy Chapel...

Funny story, several years ago, I was speaking with an older woman who was bragging that her son was a doctor. She and her husband lived with him in "The Estates". I laughed at her and told her she lived on an old farm. :lol:

SamSpade

Ahh... The Estates at Joy Chapel...

Funny story, several years ago, I was speaking with an older woman who was bragging that her son was a doctor. She and her husband lived with him in "The Estates". I laughed at her and told her she lived on an old farm. :lol:

We're just old. I swear it WASN'T THAT LONG AGO it was farmland. When Hurricane Irene came through here ten years ago, that area was still mostly farm. I know, because our road was blocked by a fallen tree that had ALSO taken out a power line - and I remember being annoyed that the land was far too muddy to just drive around it.

Of course, my wife lived here as a child - she remembers that the street was mostly EMPTY until you passed the school. And that 235 and Mervell Dean Road were the same thing.

Years ago I lived in Columbia, a town that grew out of nothing - more or less - in the late 60's. But there WERE people there already - just - not a lot. Anyway, I remember someone mentioning they lived in Sewell's Orchard. Without batting an eye I realized what they meant, but when I was in high school - hell, college - it was a place where you could pick your own fruit. And it had the same name. It had been an actual orchard.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We're just old. I swear it WASN'T THAT LONG AGO it was farmland. When Hurricane Irene came through here ten years ago, that area was still mostly farm. I know, because our road was blocked by a fallen tree that had ALSO taken out a power line - and I remember being annoyed that the land was far too muddy to just drive around it.

Of course, my wife lived here as a child - she remembers that the street was mostly EMPTY until you passed the school. And that 235 and Mervell Dean Road were the same thing.

Years ago I lived in Columbia, a town that grew out of nothing - more or less - in the late 60's. But there WERE people there already - just - not a lot. Anyway, I remember someone mentioning they lived in Sewell's Orchard. Without batting an eye I realized what they meant, but when I was in high school - hell, college - it was a place where you could pick your own fruit. And it had the same name. It had been an actual orchard.
The San Francisco Bay Area was mostly orchards, I remember them. The Valley of Hearts Delight.