What's in YOUR garden this summer?

TheNorthWindShe

OMG that's IT! That's what gardening is about! So so smart. Using small spaces to admire Mother Nature, and taking from her while giving to her. You are to be admired. How was the pesto?

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Really? Jeez, my kale is still going for some reason! Good thing, because the 16 year old and 22 year old love it. What are you going to do to tidy it up? Cut it down somewhat? bundle it? I could use some advice. If my lettuce ever got to that point, I'd jump for joy, so I can't fathom "heading it back," haha. Ahh, asparagus. I bow to you. Chamomile? so neat!!!! I agree on the addition of all those particular flowers. Kudos to you on that, for sure. Ohhhh, the sunflowers! I know what you are going through. My first year nothing happened. Then I had some miraculous ones come up last year. And this year..... I hate to say it, but I have what seems like thousands. I have been potting them and giving them away like they are the Plague. I can't wait to see them when they head and bloom. Turtles!!!!!!!!!//????!!!! hHhHhAAAAAAAAA . Sorry, But that is awesome, although not for you of course. I'd love to see your garden :)
I want to add, I admire anyone who has the savvy and impetus to put in elevated beds. That's just so cool.

Have you tried baking kale with seasoning in the oven. It is the bombaroo! Here is one recipe, but there are many variations.

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/12/6-tips-for-flawless-kale-chips-all-dressed-kale-chips-recipe/

Edit: I just saw your recent post. Square foot gardening is really great.

http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/

Last edited:

TheNorthWindShe

My kale is finished up and needs to be tidied up. Broccoli and cauliflower look great, but haven't done anything. My leaf lettuce needs to be headed back before it takes over. My cabbage is looking good. I have tomatoes, peas, beans, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and eggplant in and they are doing well, but haven't produced anything yet. Asparagus is still coming in. Herbs, basil, chamomile, mint, cilantro, dill, oregano and thyme are doing great. I planted in zinnias, cosmos, daisies, and marigolds and they are beautiful if nothing else and seem to have helped to keep the soil in good shape. This is my third year of no sunflowers coming up, so I think I'm going to give up on them. I have one more bed ready to go for another round of planting, but I'm not ready.

I have four elevated beds that my husband surrounds with poles drilled in the bed and then wraps with fencing, so I can't advice how far down you should go. I don't get rabbits, but I do get snakes, birds, and an occasional deer. Of course last year, my worst offender was turtles. They were poking their necks through the wire and nibbling on the low hanging vegetables.

I always tend to get the plants started off right and then lack the produce or a bumper crop. I think last year I got enough peas to mix in with one salad. :lol:
You are making me laugh, too!
I know what you mean if you are referring to having the energy and enthusiasm at the beginning of the season, and then all this peters out to the point where I am not watering or fertilizing or "talking" to the plants or whatever! :) and I have been feeling that way with all the rain lately, as if I don't need to do anything.... so I am almost forgetting the garden is even there. So I HOPE I get enough for a salad, haha.

TheNorthWindShe

Have you tried baking kale with seasoning in the oven. It is the bombaroo! Here is one recipe, but there are many variations.

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/12/6-tips-for-flawless-kale-chips-all-dressed-kale-chips-recipe/

Edit: I just saw your recent post. Square foot gardening is really great.

http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/

No, I have never baked it. Never HEARD of such, being from Mississippi! I will bookmark these two websites now and go to them tomorrow when I feel "free and easy," if you know what I mean. Thanks!

littlelady

God bless the USA
No, I have never baked it. Never HEARD of such, being from Mississippi! I will bookmark these two websites now and go to them tomorrow when I feel "free and easy," if you know what I mean. Thanks!

Well, there you go! I was born and raised in Louisiana. We have an anon internet connection! Good luck with your gardening!

TheNorthWindShe

I have only purchased pesto - never tried making it.

I wish I had a deck/balcony to do some container gardening. I tried a small garden plot out back the first summer I lived here, but I am not a very good garden mommy. I forget about them, and they die. :ohwell: Gardening has never been a very good match for me, since I'm not very patient. A couple of containers on a deck right out of my living room door would be perfect, because that is about all the patience I can muster up for plants. :biggrin:
I wonder if I am talking to myself?!! I understand you precisely! Maybe you can research the kinds of summer garden plants that you can purchase already up and running, just plunk into the potting soil, and they'll take off and be wonderful! I personally am no authority, but I can think of lots that I haven't killed through the last five or so years that you could enjoy like that, and also bring to your table at the end of things. It's so rewarding. Even for ONE MEAL.... dang, it makes you feel good.

TheNorthWindShe

:yeahthat: Now a groundhog has moved in under my shed. :doh:
My shed is lifted daily for new generations of chipmunks, I am convinced! My 12 and 16 year olds won't take the puppies out to peepee after dark on that side of the house on account of the sounds! :-D

TheNorthWindShe

Potatoes, onions, lettuce tomatoes, string beans, snap peas, sweet pepper, asst. hot peppers, okra, squash..3 varieties, cucumbers, cantelope and sunflowers
I can't possibly be more envious of this list..... Bejeezus.
and POTATOES!? I can't wait to try that next year! My 22 year old and I have talked about planting those for three years.

Last edited:

TheNorthWindShe

Nice garden this year. Picking Swiss chard, onions, blueberries, raspberries, and various herbs. Rain drowned the cabbage, broccoli, and cucs. Strawberries, spinach, lettuce, asparagus done and blackberries soon.

Planted leeks last year for the first time, they were wonderful, sliced and sautéed in fried bacon with the Brussel sprouts, oh yum! So, a full row of leeks this year.

Trying fennel for the first time, we'll see.

Beets, radish, tomatoes, peppers (sweet and hot), beans, potatoes, squash, melons, glads all looking good, put new cucumber seeds in this morning, will plant pumpkins on the 4th of July.
Holy cow you are doing all these things that take delicacy and expertise. That is so neat. Pumpkins on the fourth of july. Wow, you sound like the Farmer's Almanac. I wish I had a grandmother or someone to share the old ways with me. I have so little time to read any more, yet I do it when I can of course. Getting online and seeing what you are doing is truly the best of the best, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

TheNorthWindShe

2-3 different kinds of lettuce, switch chard, snap peas, radishes, bell peppers, TONs of tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumber, strawberries, rosemary, thyme, dill, cilantro, parsley, and a few other herbs and spices.
Dang! 2-3 types of lettuce really????? What the heck is going on in my little piece of dirt, haha! and swiss chard, radish, strawberries! The rabbits ate ALL my radish three years ago. All my green leafy veggies. It traumatized me. I let my plot go fallow for a year after the stink bugs.

TheNorthWindShe

Had beautiful blueberries, best crop EVER! And the blackberries are promising to outdo them. This rain has been really good for berries.

Too much rain and not enough sun for tomatoes (and just about everything else!).

And the glads are blooming!
You did blueberries!!!! That's GREAT! I have Arapahoe blackberries, (or something like that name) and this year I had the brain cells to cover them with bird netting BEFORE the berries started out of the blossoms. They are deep red now and getting bigger by the day. They don't seem daunted by poor soil, but I am determined to amend their area next season the way I have amended other areas of the garden and yard. I am glad yours are doing so well!
The rain has actually been a boon for my tomatoes, thank goodness. I guess because my garden is on a steep hill in terraces. The rainwater just follows the laws of gravity. It's to my advantage lately!

TheNorthWindShe

The basil is taking over my balcony and the other herbs aren't far behind. The 'maters are coming along nicely, big good looking fruit, but they aren't ripening yet. So that's kind of annoying but mostly I'm pleased with its progress.
Yeah, I'm annoyed by the tomatoes, too. They are not ripening soon enough for me! :)
And the basil on my deck has grown into a danged bush! It smells SO GOOD! I love picking off it when I am cooking!!!!

Roman

Tomatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, green & yellow squash, Buttercup squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash green peppers, banana peppers, all different kinds of mild to hot peppers, celery, onions, had a couple different kinds of lettuce but it went to seed, kale, various melons, I think that's about it. The celery is tough, and isn't doing to well, but I used some in soup last night, the cabbage heads are small but good. My husband is selling some vegetables at our business, and we are gobbling up as much as we can, giving some to family and friends.