What's so special about the Princess Bride movie?

SailorGirl

Am I the only person in the entire universe who has never seen this movie? I hear it referenced from time to time - Big Bang Theory, Ted Cruz during the GOP something, other places that elude me at the moment. I read somewhere that it's a cult classic. I thought cult classics were things like Killer Tomatoes, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Friday the 13th. How does a movie with such an innocuous title fit in with these other fine masterpieces.

At any rate, during a conversation with a new friend last night - the movie was mentioned. Et tu I thought - maybe I need to look this up. Here's the synopsis - While home sick in bed, a young boy's grandfather reads him the story of a farmboy-turned-pirate who encounters numerous obstacles, enemies and allies in his quest to be reunited with his true love. Really? No blood, no gore, no guts, no masks - where's the fun in that?

So I had one of the beers that I was supposed to give to Gilligan - along with really good chicken sandwich. Really good sandwich - made it myself even https://www.yellowblissroad.com/baked-chicken-breasts/ . Even waited 20 minutes to let it rest for all you meat resting fans. I digress. I ended up renting the movie on VUDU. Beer, chicken, pajamas (yes at 2 o'clock in the afternoon) I'm ready to be entertained. Now I can't stand Julie Andrews, and thirty minutes in I'm bored out of my gourd, forty mintues in I'm sound asleep, and woke up to the credits of the Princess Diaries - didn't even rent the right movie.

I'm still game - I look up Princess Bride - $13.99 to own - no rental option. Really? Is it that good that someone would actually want to own it?
I don't understand and I'm waiting with bated breath for someone to explain the attraction.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I saw it, and didn't see what the whole hoopla was about. 🤷 What a coinkydink you should ask! I posted about that very thing here earlier this month!

catlingirl

Am I the only person in the entire universe who has never seen this movie? I hear it referenced from time to time - Big Bang Theory, Ted Cruz during the GOP something, other places that elude me at the moment. I read somewhere that it's a cult classic. I thought cult classics were things like Killer Tomatoes, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Friday the 13th. How does a movie with such an innocuous title fit in with these other fine masterpieces.

At any rate, during a conversation with a new friend last night - the movie was mentioned. Et tu I thought - maybe I need to look this up. Here's the synopsis - While home sick in bed, a young boy's grandfather reads him the story of a farmboy-turned-pirate who encounters numerous obstacles, enemies and allies in his quest to be reunited with his true love. Really? No blood, no gore, no guts, no masks - where's the fun in that?

So I had one of the beers that I was supposed to give to Gilligan - along with really good chicken sandwich. Really good sandwich - made it myself even https://www.yellowblissroad.com/baked-chicken-breasts/ . Even waited 20 minutes to let it rest for all you meat resting fans. I digress. I ended up renting the movie on VUDU. Beer, chicken, pajamas (yes at 2 o'clock in the afternoon) I'm ready to be entertained. Now I can't stand Julie Andrews, and thirty minutes in I'm bored out of my gourd, forty mintues in I'm sound asleep, and woke up to the credits of the Princess Diaries - didn't even rent the right movie.

I'm still game - I look up Princess Bride - $13.99 to own - no rental option. Really? Is it that good that someone would actually want to own it?
I don't understand and I'm waiting with bated breath for someone to explain the attraction.
I’ve never seen it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Eternal Question ....

What Makes A Classic Movie A Classic ?

Josey Wales
A Fist Full of Dollars
A Few Dollars More
The Good The Bad, The Ugly

Rooster Cogburn
True Grit

Tombstone

Hackers
Wargames
Weird Science
Tron
Blade Runner

The Breakfast Club

Tomb Raider

Heavy Metal

Mad Max

The Right Stuff

Highlander

Robocop

Gotcha

Valley Girl

Better Off Dead

The Sting

Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark

Star Wars

Star Trek - The Wraith of Khan

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The Eternal Question ....

What Makes A Classic Movie A Classic ?

You forgot Good Burger with Kenan and Kel. My daughter's first movie theater experience and my last. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Princess Bride is part of our cultural heritage. It's one of those family movies you watch with your kids, and then when you pop out quotes it's an inside joke that everyone knows.