What's the deal with the bowl-shaped riding helmets?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I've been seeing more and more bikers wearing these. Are they safe? They don't seem to protect the lower back side of the head.

dustin

UAIOE
Originally posted by Tonio
I've been seeing more and more bikers wearing these. Are they safe? They don't seem to protect the lower back side of the head.

Maryland State law says it has to be DOT approved

It's better than nothing. I have seen some of them DOT approved, but most arent. I think these are ones which are designed to be slightly lower in the rear of the helmet to protect the base of the skull/spine better.

If they don't have the DOT sticker on them, they arent DOT approved. I have heard stories of these fashion helmets shattering upon impact, along with the wearers skull.

A good rule of thumb is if the rivets for the chin strap are on the outside of the helmet shell (the part that you see), it's a good bet that it isnt a DOT approved helmet.

I personally, wouldn't wear a helmet not rated at least Snell 95/DOT. There is a new Snell 2000 rating out now.

If thinking about purchasing one of these questionable helmets, first ask yourself "How much is my brain really worth?"

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Re: Re: What's the deal with the bowl-shaped riding helmets?

This is another example of MVA placing themselves above the law.
§ 21-1306. Equipment for riders.
(a) Exception.- This section does not apply to any person riding in an enclosed cab.
(b) Required headgear.- An individual may not operate or ride on a motorcycle unless the individual is wearing protective headgear that meets the standards established by the Administrator.
(d) Approval of protective devices by Administrator.- The Administrator:
(1) May approve or disapprove protective headgear and eye-protective devices required by this section;
(2) May adopt and enforce regulations establishing standards and specifications for the approval of protective headgear and eye-protective devices; and
(3) Shall publish lists of all protective headgear and eye-protective devices that he approves, by name and type.
This was the basis for the anti-helmet law protests. Since there is no list of approved helmets, no helmet is legal.

Last edited:
F

fishn guy

thats the bucket and man if you ride any faster than 50 that thing slides back and chokes the sh$t out of you.

Vince

Got both types and to tell you the truth I like the full coverage helmet better. Not because it protects better, but because it's much quieter. That shell is so noisy I have to wear ear plugs. And my hearing has deteriorated enough after 30 years of jet engines.:yikes:

dustin

UAIOE
Originally posted by Vince
Got both types and to tell you the truth I like the full coverage helmet better. Not because it protects better, but because it's much quieter. That shell is so noisy I have to wear ear plugs. And my hearing has deteriorated enough after 30 years of jet engines.:yikes:

You forgot about developing a taste for nats, mosquitoes, cicadas, suicidal birds and other assorted flying critters that come with wearing the "shell". :lol:

Ponytail

Originally posted by dustin
You forgot about developing a taste for nats, mosquitoes, cicadas, suicidal birds and other assorted flying critters that come with wearing the "shell". :lol:

I have 3 helmets. The non-DOT brain bucket , the slightly larger DOT brain bucket, and the full face helmet.

I do prefer the non-DOT brain bucket for the short romps and local runs. I am one of those idiots that would go helmetless if the law allowed, as it does in my home state of PA. You do begin to get a taste for all of the flying protein that this world has to offer after ahwile. And except for the occasional bee up inside the helmet, it's all good.

On the londer runs involving higher speeds as those experienced on Rt4 and others, I usually wear one of the others.

Personal preference is all it is. And yes, I've seen the pictures, gone through the classes, and have many friends/family that have been seriously injured or killed in motorcycle accidents. So save your breath.