What's Up?

W

WildHorses

mingiz said:
The horse thread has been really quiet. What's everyone been up to? Has anyone ridden?

:yeahthat: I think I'm beginning to go through withdrawal. :jameo:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
I know we've been busy with the horse show this past weekend and have been riding alot around our place. Nothing exciting to tell - no wrecks! Did ride out one evening last week wishing I had brought a flashlight - it gets dark in the woods quick!!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I'm trying to get all the saddle time in i can before surgery. :ohwell:
My 3 y/o filly decided she wants to be a brat. We had ridden a few miles, and she was doing well for me, so i stopped and let her munch a little protien filled grass. When i started to head out of the field, she decided she was gonna crow hop DOWN the hill, and towards the edge of the field. I did my old standby yank the head around and one rein stop, and screamed at her the whole way what a BAAAAD girl she was. Once she stopped, we moved off, and the work REALLY started for her. We got some real wet saddle pad time tonight. She had played this game with Rottncop and WON, he went FLYING off that filly a few weeks ago, but she didn't win with ole velcro but :lol:

How do you all deal with this crap?

spellbound

happyappygirl said:
I'm trying to get all the saddle time in i can before surgery. :ohwell:
My 3 y/o filly decided she wants to be a brat. We had ridden a few miles, and she was doing well for me, so i stopped and let her munch a little protien filled grass. When i started to head out of the field, she decided she was gonna crow hop DOWN the hill, and towards the edge of the field. I did my old standby yank the head around and one rein stop, and screamed at her the whole way what a BAAAAD girl she was. Once she stopped, we moved off, and the work REALLY started for her. We got some real wet saddle pad time tonight. She had played this game with Rottncop and WON, he went FLYING off that filly a few weeks ago, but she didn't win with ole velcro but :lol:

How do you all deal with this crap?

If the silliness is so bad that I'm afraid of getting hurt, I will get off and lunge them until they've had enough. If the silliness has been a regular occurrence, I will lunge before getting on as a preventive action. And a good smack with a crop is usually necessary every time they buck, rear, or bolt. If they are bucking or rearing, the best way to get them out of it is to apply leg to move them forward. If they're just prancing, or tense, I just talk to them and try to get them to relax.
My rule is to never take it too seriously. Otherwise riding would not be any fun.
I always try to understand why the horse does what it does. If you can identify the cause, you can sometimes come up with solutions that don't involve punishment. That's always good because the last thing you want is for the horse to equate being ridden with being punished.
And if I were to come across a horse that is beyond my abilities, I'd seek help from other experienced horsemen.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I've been racking my BRAIN to figure out why she's doing this. It's now the second time. The first time, i figured it might be saddle fit, she's young, high withered, and i wasn't using a gaited saddle. Plus Rottncop was on her when it happened and he's not experienced, so i chalked it up to poor saddle fit combined with an unbalanced rider.

Yesterday, she was the perfect angel until she started that crow hopping bit. It only lasted as long as she could keep her head down (i used the one rein stop into a tight circle pulling her head up). She didn't try it again afterwards. She had started to speed way up, then when i applied rein pressure and settling into my seat to slow her, (we're working slow, because she's still building a consistent gait at one speed) she got pizzy and threw the little tantrum. She's only 3. I didn't spank her, only used a stern NO NO NO NO. Although my gut instinct was to whoop her BUTT, and really turn her HARD into the small circle, i didn't because of her youth. I don't carry a crop as a rule, i ride in a gaited horse saddle which doesn't have a horn, and i'm too clutzy not to drop it. :lol:

Last edited:

mingiz

Horse Poor
I had a 3yro mare that use to do similar. We'd be trotting or in a slow lope and she would put her head down and the next thing ya know. Were getting western. :jameo: She dumped me a few times. I finally got smart and paid more attention to her when we went faster than a walk I would keep more rein on her so she didn't get the head down and I caught her a few times attempting it and I would bump her on one side and soon she didn't try it again. Just keep with it. RC getting thrown off didn't help. She won so she figures she can do it again. You'll win....If ya need more velcro let me know. We'll glue some extra on for ya... :killingme :whistle:
So far my 3yro SSH filly is doing great no bucks etc. Just refusals from things she knows nothing about but once she does it she has it. Can't wait to bring her on a trail ride.....

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
happyappygirl said:
I've been racking my BRAIN to figure out why she's doing this. It's now the second time. The first time, i figured it might be saddle fit, she's young, high withered, and i wasn't using a gaited saddle. Plus Rottncop was on her when it happened and he's not experienced, so i chalked it up to poor saddle fit combined with an unbalanced rider.

Yesterday, she was the perfect angel until she started that crow hopping bit. It only lasted as long as she could keep her head down (i used the one rein stop into a tight circle pulling her head up). She didn't try it again afterwards. She had started to speed way up, then when i applied rein pressure and settling into my seat to slow her, (we're working slow, because she's still building a consistent gait at one speed) she got pizzy and threw the little tantrum. She's only 3. I didn't spank her, only used a stern NO NO NO NO. Although my gut instinct was to whoop her BUTT, and really turn her HARD into the small circle, i didn't because of her youth. I don't carry a crop as a rule, i ride in a gaited horse saddle which doesn't have a horn, and i'm too clutzy not to drop it. :lol:

What brand of saddle did you get for the gaited horses? What bit are you using on her? I just recently got an orthoflex with no horn, still got to get use to it. As far as bits, I'm trying out the wonder bit.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I'm using the National Bridle Tennessean Cordura Nylon/Leather Endurance Saddle number 2936 by Fabtron and I Like it so much i bought two. One black, one brown, and cross fire rig them. No dry spots under the pad either. I'm using a kind of modified tom thumb, with larger side rings, copper mouth. i really don't think it's saddle or bit. I also have super light hands.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
I noticed she was missing from here last week. Should we put out a missing appyday report? :coffee: Do you think that Appyday was hyjacked by the MODS? :shrug:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Appy is fine. I spoke with her. She just hasn't been on. Probably busy with all the babies etc. :howdy:

W

WildHorses

mygoldnhorse said:
:howdy: Tell her I said....hay....and we miss her in here.

:yeahthat: Things just aren't the same without her. :bawl: If she stays away too long I'm going to have to go over to the boat forum. :whistle:

changeling

mingiz said:
Appy is fine. I spoke with her. She just hasn't been on. Probably busy with all the babies etc. :howdy:

Why isn't she talking to us. :jameo: I think we need to form a search party. All her posts have disappeared. I'm pretty sure she's been stolen :jameo: . She wouldn't leave without saying goodbye.

W

WildHorses

mainman said:
I heard she sold all of her horses, ran off with Lloyd and Harry and started a worm farm....:ohwell: :bawl:

Just as long as she's happy, that's all that matters. :love:

PrepH4U

I miss seeing all her pictures of the foals and her helpful advice whether it was for my horses, dogs and cats.