What's your favorite decade of music?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If you had to nail down your favorite decade of music, what would it be?

Is it the lyrics, the music or something else that made you decide?

What type of music would you say best describes you?

:dude:

:getdown::getdown:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Best decade was the 1970's. The radio had everything from Sly and the Family Stone to Aerosmith to ABBA to the Beatles, the Stones, Glen Cambell to Gordon Lightfoot to The Jacksons to Chicago to Ted Nugent and Kiss. It wasn't 'soft rock' or 'classic rock' or 'just country' or 'just motown'. It was...music.

Music was not Balkanized then. It was just MUSIC and, as a people, we ALL listened EVERYTHING and every musician HAD to be good, had to make great music to get air time. You learned to appreciate all sorts of tempos, song structures, tones, timbres and it connected us all. You could still be a fan of this person or that group as your favorite but, you were connected, if only a little bit, a tie that bound us together as a people like the flag, apple pie and so forth.

That's gone now and that is a shame.

For me, personally, nothing touches the 80's. There was Flock of Seaguls, the Eurythmics, Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello and...the antidote;

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
If you had to nail down your favorite decade of music, what would it be?

The 60's

Is it the lyrics, the music or something else that made you decide?

All of the above, it was the decade of so many styles. Folk, R and B, Soul, British invasion, Girl groups broke out, country hit the charts as cross/overs...I could go on and on. lol

What type of music would you say best describes you?

R and B

:coffee:

BOP

Gack! That's too hard! Interestingly, my favorite time periods come near the end of one decade and the beginning of the next. Late 40s, early 50s, late 60s, early 70s, and so on. If somebody said "We're going to lock you in a Vault, but you can only take one decade's worth of music, across all genres," I'd pick the 50s. In some ways, I think it was the most diverse musical time, and I think that's what I'm going for as much as anything.

C

czygvtwkr

My favorite is the 90's, even the late 80's because suddenly the most popular bands dressed like and sounded like my friends and I. Suddenly it seemed that we could be the band on stage that has people cheering, girls throwing the bras on stage at us etc.

19 year old daughter says definately 80s for her.

I personally dig the 70s the most when talking specifically about decade music.

Husband would be 80s.

21 year old son would probably pick 50s.

C

czygvtwkr

19 year old daughter says definately 80s for her.

I personally dig the 70s the most when talking specifically about decade music.

Husband would be 80s.

21 year old son would probably pick 50s.

I feel sorry for young people today, you look up videos for 80's and 90's bands on you tube and you see all these comments from then about how they wished music was like that now. They really do not have any kind of unique sound of the last 15 years or so, nada nothing. Shouldn't there be some form of music coming along to fill a void? Has the internet killed the music industry, has the music industry done it to itself, or is it shows like American idol that killed it?

SoMDGirl42

70's to 80's. They played a little bit of everything then on the same stations. Now you have to pick what specific kind of music you want to listen to.

RCflyer

I like all Rock oriented music from the 50's to the mid 90's stuff such as Alice In Chains, S.T.P. and Pearl Jam etc.. so it would be difficult to have just one favorite decade.
But I am going to go with the 70's as I am a major KISS fan (more like KISS freak!) and KISS as well their albums like KISS, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Destroyer and KISS Alive 1 etc... had a big influence on a lot of the 80's and mid 90's Rock, Metal and Grunge bands and even some of the 90's Country artists like Garth Brooks.

Blister

I feel sorry for young people today, you look up videos for 80's and 90's bands on you tube and you see all these comments from then about how they wished music was like that now. They really do not have any kind of unique sound of the last 15 years or so, nada nothing. Shouldn't there be some form of music coming along to fill a void? Has the internet killed the music industry, has the music industry done it to itself, or is it shows like American idol that killed it?

Their unique sound is lipsynching to AutoTuned vocals so they can promote the untalented good looking booty shakers. Not that I don't appreciate a nice booty, but the modern "ideal booty" is a tad large for my taste.

RCflyer

Their unique sound is lipsynching to AutoTuned vocals so they can promote the untalented good looking booty shakers. Not that I don't appreciate a nice booty, but the modern "ideal booty" is a tad large for my taste.
Not to mention all the Untalented Crappers Uh I mean Rappers off the streets that have absolutely no clue about music or how to play a musical instrument that make millions just by telling rhymes about how they want to "Smack their B**ch up while smokin a blunt and riding on 22" wheels" LOL And then the record exec's have the nerve to call it "Art" or "Pop Music" And then you have the Goth or Emo noise that is nothing more than someone screaming about wanting to commit suicide into a mic while thrashing drop tuned strings with simple one finger notes at a thousand beats per minute! Yeah real music seems to have fallen by the wayside unfortunately.
And speaking of Autotune......

[video=youtube;eyzl955hYnc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyzl955hYnc[/video]

Last edited:

molly_21

I don't think American Idol killed it. I think people who watch those shows are too lazy to find stuff either by listening to XM (if they have it or even going to a Radio Shack or someplace that has it hooked up to play around with for 10 mins to see) or finding their local "offbeat" radio stations (hard to do in Southern MD since 99.1 WHFS is not around anymore and 103.1 out of Annapolis you can't get down here). Even if people read The Washington Post and see the concert reviews for artists that are not familer with, they won't look them up. Majority of American's are scared to find something that is not your generic Carrie Underwood type music. Heck, I found new music I liked by reading The Washington Post and finding them on youtube. But is it your Carrie Underwood, Maroon 5 music, nope.
There is a alot of good music still out there, people just need to get back the Justin Beiber crap out there and find it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Best decade was the 1970's. The radio had everything from Sly and the Family Stone to Aerosmith to ABBA to the Beatles, the Stones, Glen Cambell to Gordon Lightfoot to The Jacksons to Chicago to Ted Nugent and Kiss. It wasn't 'soft rock' or 'classic rock' or 'just country' or 'just motown'. It was...music.
For me, personally, nothing touches the 80's. There was Flock of Seaguls, the Eurythmics, Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello and...the antidote;

:yay: