Wheatley Lake

jrt_ms1995

Trout stocking is several times a year (though never in summers). Last time I was at Wheatly they had just left with the stocking truck and all the trout were simply milling about around the ramp area. Caught and released about 17, and took 5 home to eat, but it really wasn't much fun that way. I've been previously in Jan-Feb time frames; mostly spent the time being cold, and catching a few undersized panfish, but once caught two trout left over from the fall stocking down near the far end of the lake off one of the docks.

Trout stocking is several times a year (though never in summers). Last time I was at Wheatly they had just left with the stocking truck and all the trout were simply milling about around the ramp area. Caught and released about 17, and took 5 home to eat, but it really wasn't much fun that way. I've been previously in Jan-Feb time frames; mostly spent the time being cold, and catching a few undersized panfish, but once caught two trout left over from the fall stocking down near the far end of the lake off one of the docks.

Where is wheatly? Not that I care for hatchery trout. Just curious.

toppick08

I've heard a few crappie were starting to get active (orange jigs), but it's a little early....this time next month will be better.

ChinaCatRider

Im gunna give it a go Friday morning. Dont know the lake very well but they just stocked it with around a thousand trout last week.

jrt_ms1995

Remember, you can't drive to the lake this time of year, as the park's closed for the season. Just park outside the gate, and out of the way of the trash/recycling convenience center traffic, and walk in. Cut across slightly to the right rather than following the roadway to save a few steps.

ChinaCatRider

Remember, you can't drive to the lake this time of year, as the park's closed for the season. Just park outside the gate, and out of the way of the trash/recycling convenience center traffic, and walk in. Cut across slightly to the right rather than following the roadway to save a few steps.

Wow, thanks! guess i will be packing a little lighter. Is it legal to park outside the gate and walk in when the park is closed?

Last edited:

jrt_ms1995

Wow, thanks! guess i will be packing a little lighter. Is it legal to park outside the gate and walk in when the park is closed?

Yes, as long as you aren't blocking the convenience center (you know, the trash dump) customers and traffic. I assume it's still there as it has been a couple of years since I went to the lake.

jrt_ms1995

And one more thing; bass fishing in Wheatley Lake is catch and release only!

Hope the fishing was good today?

ChinaCatRider

And one more thing; bass fishing in Wheatley Lake is catch and release only!

Hope the fishing was good today?

Thanks for all the input jrt! The park is "closed", but the very first parking lot to the right was open. It was a wonderful day of fishing and the weather was perfect. Arrived around 8am and had a very slow start with one trout in the first four hours. This was in the deeper waters by the dam. Then I decided to hike back to a more shallow section and picked up another four in no time to reach my limit. Fished all day to get my limit but hey, i was in a t-shirt in the middle of February!

Anabaptist

Thanks for all the input jrt! The park is "closed", but the very first parking lot to the right was open. It was a wonderful day of fishing and the weather was perfect. Arrived around 8am and had a very slow start with one trout in the first four hours. This was in the deeper waters by the dam. Then I decided to hike back to a more shallow section and picked up another four in no time to reach my limit. Fished all day to get my limit but hey, i was in a t-shirt in the middle of February!

Your day was better than mine at Myrtle Grove. I saw folks catching, but it wasn't me.