Wheatley Stables?

camily

Peace
Anyone know anything about Wheatley (sp?) Stables? A friend is thinking about boarding there but wanted some feedback. They are in Charles County.
TIA

DQ2B

It's no frills and I think they only have pasture board available at the moment. Not sure what that price is but they are generally the cheapest going. Nice to have the tack shop on site.

camily

Peace
DQ2B said:
It's no frills and I think they only have pasture board available at the moment. Not sure what that price is but they are generally the cheapest going. Nice to have the tack shop on site.
Thanks! When you say cheapest, does that mean cheap but good, or cheap and you get what you pay for? How's the help there, as she is new to horses not really a "horse person" but wants to learn. Is anyone familiar with the staff?

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
camily said:
Thanks! When you say cheapest, does that mean cheap but good, or cheap and you get what you pay for? How's the help there, as she is new to horses not really a "horse person" but wants to learn. Is anyone familiar with the staff?

Our "third" kid (lol) boards both his horses there.

we were talking about Wheatly's last night, from what he said, you'll want to call them about the board price (dont want to misquote the price on here) but it seemed really reasonable.

Tell her to make sure WHEREVER she boards, CHECK the pastures. the first place we boarded, the horses were in 8 inches of mud ALL YEAR ROUND. (sucked for the horses and sucked for you when you went out to get your horse)

Also they sold alot of horses from Auctions, it seemed everytime they'd come back from the auction our horses (mainly mine) would get sick (from something the "new" horses would bring). sucks when you want to go on a ride and cant because your horse is SICK and they dont want you to bring it to the Ride because then everyone would know what kind of facility they were running.

W

WildHorses

SAHRAB said:
Our "third" kid (lol) boards both his horses there.

we were talking about Wheatly's last night, from what he said, you'll want to call them about the board price (dont want to misquote the price on here) but it seemed really reasonable.

Tell her to make sure WHEREVER she boards, CHECK the pastures. the first place we boarded, the horses were in 8 inches of mud ALL YEAR ROUND. (sucked for the horses and sucked for you when you went out to get your horse)

Also they sold alot of horses from Auctions, it seemed everytime they'd come back from the auction our horses (mainly mine) would get sick (from something the "new" horses would bring). sucks when you want to go on a ride and cant because your horse is SICK and they dont want you to bring it to the Ride because then everyone would know what kind of facility they were running.

:smack: :bonk: :nono:

DQ2B

camily said:

The horses are well cared for but yeah, ya kinda get what you pay for. Meaning, stall bedding might not be available right when you want it (for full boarders), no light in the tack room and unless you complain it probably won't get fixed, fencing at places is always in need of repair though the horses seem to stay in it. There is mostly high tensile wire fencing and I have seen over and over again horses get injuries from it. If you're out on the field board, you'll mostly have to shlep out there to get your own horse, they generally don't put hay out for them but there is pleanty of pasture and they are all fat. There is a lot of mud when it rains. Large riding ring with one large light for night riding but the footing is rarely ideal. You'll have to do your own worming, holding for vet/farrier, and most likely blanketing/unblanketing if you do that. You might have to wash out your horse's water bucket or trough once in a while. It's not the "neatest" place but the horses seem happy enough. Mr. Wheatley himself does not do a lot of the work anymore. Michelle Davis does most of it and she's really nice but I wouldn't expect she'd have a lot of time to help with the learning aspect of horse caretaking/riding/etc. There is no on-site trainer or such.

W

WildHorses

SAHRAB said:
I was good, i didnt mention any names

Now I thought we had this settled. We've met and I know who you're talking about and, therefore, so would anyone else who knows who you are. That wasn't nice. However, I didn't give you red because I know you were only having a moment's relapse. :howdy: :flowers:

DQ2B

fredsaid2 said:
Haven't they had a few issues with Strangles?

There was a few years back a boarder that purchased a horse at the Charlotte Hall auction and brought it the farm without clearing it first and it did have strangles. None of the other horses contracted it and I know Mr. Wheatley and Michelle got pretty p.o.'d at the boarder for hauling in a horse unnanounced. It's a pretty laid back place so while illnesses don't happen often, horses do come and go there.

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
WildHorses said:
Now I thought we had this settled. We've met and I know who you're talking about and, therefore, so would anyone else who knows who you are. That wasn't nice. However, I didn't give you red because I know you were only having a moment's relapse. :howdy: :flowers:

No this is DEFINETLY not settled, sorry you mistakenly thought it was.
I was being nice by not mentioning the name, because one of the owners, posts on this board. if you know me, and know where i boarded, then you DEFINETLY do not have any doubt about what i was saying. :howdy:

i was DEFINETLY being nice because of how that "operation" ended our relationship. and the BS they tried to spout, since they were in the wrong, to defend themselves... unfortunately for them I still have the Reciept for the Years Board i paid ahead of time (oops)

W

WildHorses

SAHRAB said:
No this is DEFINETLY not settled, sorry you mistakenly thought it was.
I was being nice by not mentioning the name, because one of the owners, posts on this board. if you know me, and know where i boarded, then you DEFINETLY do not have any doubt about what i was saying. :howdy:

i was DEFINETLY being nice because of how that "operation" ended our relationship. and the BS they tried to spout, since they were in the wrong, to defend themselves... unfortunately for them I still have the Reciept for the Years Board i paid ahead of time (oops)

You probably should be discussing this in a different forum, literally. I'll quietly back away, if you don't mind. :flowers:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
WildHorses said:
You probably should be discussing this in a different forum, literally. I'll quietly back away, if you don't mind. :flowers:

its kosher, just seems you know who we're talking about, but dont know both sides of that particular story :whistle:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
camily said:
Thanks for the info guys.I will pass on the info. What is strangles?

A VERY infectious horse disease

from Cyberhorse (<--linky)
Strangles is the most important infectious disease affecting horses. It is caused by a bacterium, Streptococcus equi.

Typically, horses suffering from strangles have pus discharging from the nostrils and swellings (abscesses) forming in the lymph glands under the jaw. These abscesses often burst and exude a thick yellow pus. Affected horses can have fever, be depressed and may stop eating.
Most animals recover, but horses that contract even a mild case of strangles must be isolated and removed from training or heavy work for up to 3 months. In some cases the infection can cause chronic illness or even death.

fredsaid2

appyday said:
Lots of places have had issues from stangles in St Marys...I bought a paso that had it and because I have NEVER had strangles on my place I opted to sell him from where he was so not to bring it here...but strangles is an issue at more then 5 places that I can count off the top of my head..

True, I thought it was more than once for that particular place, glad to find out I was wrong. Still I prefer a place a little more quiet in terms of new horses continually coming and going.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
camily said:
Thanks for the info guys.I will pass on the info. What is strangles?

I boarded there before .. I did not like the fact that I had to go through one field of horses to get to my horse and another boarders horse reared up at my 11 year old daughter.. But that was field board .. who knows now..

I thought evryone in St. Mary's knew about Strangles ?? :whistle:

camily

Peace
TotalControl said:
I boarded there before .. I did not like the fact that I had to go through one field of horses to get to my horse and another boarders horse reared up at my 11 year old daughter.. But that was field board .. who knows now..

I thought evryone in St. Mary's knew about Strangles ?? :whistle:
I'm not in St. Mary's :whistle: Also, I am not the horse person, my friend is. Actually, she's not either, her man bought it and now she is learning.