When did you get your first computer and what was it?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
My first was an AT, with I Meg of RAM (640K usable and 364K of shadow RAM) it had a 40 meg HDD and a CGA adapter. I believe my dad gave it to me in 1990.

jrt_ms1995

My first!

Abacus_4.jpg

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I built an MITS Altair 8008 from a kit in the Spring of 1975.

After that my 1st factory built unit was a Timex-Sinclair 1000 in the spring of 1983.

TPD

the poor dad
Commodore 64 in 1985 I think. Upgraded to a 128 a couple years later.

For what it’s worth, I just loaded my Millennium edition of Lotus Smartsuite on my 27” iMac running Windows10 with Parallels and IT WORKS! I still use Lotus 123, Organizer, and Approach on a regular basis.

SamSpade

Trying to think. I know somewhere I had a Timex Sinclair but I think that was later. Ditto the Texas Instruments one. Probably a Commodore 64, since I used one at work.

Somewhere around 85 I had an IBM PC that I bought secondhand, loaded with all kinds of stuff.

After that, a 386, a 486, a Pentium and I don’t remember much after that. Mostly just got the best one available.

Rommey

It had to be around 1988 when we got an Apple IIc...no hard drive and everything ran off 5-¼" floppy disks. Daughters used (or shall I say: argued over) the 4 free hours per month from AOL using a 2.4 or 4.8K modem. Added a Mac LCII for the wife and I while the girls got to keep using the Apple IIc.

1992 a Gateway loaded with Basic, C++ and some other coding app. I was pregnant with my first born and as a COBOL programmer on a UNISYS mainframe I figured I could teach myself PC programming while the baby slept all the time.

They lied! Babies do not sleep all the time! :mad:

PeoplesElbow

January of 1993, I had gotten a 3.6 my first semester of college so my parents bought me an IBM PS/2 486DX33 with 4 MB of RAM and a 130MB hard drive. I upgraded it through the years and finally I had 32 MB of RAM, 850MB of hard drive and an overdrive processor before it was replaced with a Pentium 2. It was a great computer and I got far more life out of it than most did from their 486s in a rapidly changing time.

TPD

the poor dad
Commodore 64 in 1985 I think. Upgraded to a 128 a couple years later.

For what it’s worth, I just loaded my Millennium edition of Lotus Smartsuite on my 27” iMac running Windows10 with Parallels and IT WORKS! I still use Lotus 123, Organizer, and Approach on a regular basis.
I've got receipts!

Got my 1st computer for Christmas in 1983 - a Commodore 64. My mother ordered it from Montgomery Ward and picked it up at their LP City location. $188+ tax
C64 1983 copy.jpg

I upgraded to a Commodore 128 in 1987. I purchased this one myself. $260.10+ tax
C128 1987 copy.jpg

A couple years later in 1989 I upgraded to a Commodore 128D. This must have been a mail order place - I don't remember this place. $409 no tax but shipping and handling which ironically was 5%.
C128D 1989 copy.jpg

It wasn't until 1996 when I got my first IBM machine - an IBM Aptiva. This was in the days when you got a lot of great free software pre-installed on computers, not the bloated junk you get today. Bought it at OfficeMax while on vacation in Virginia Beach. $1299+ tax and a free monitor.
IBM Aptiva 1996 copy.jpg