When is a knockout not a knockout?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Watching the Pacquiao vs Marquez #4 match on YouTube (get it quick, it'll be pulled soon, I'm sure).

Anyway, at 2:58 in the fifth round one boxer is felled by a tremendous-but-unexpected right hand that makes all the lights in the MGM go out. Boxer falls leaden to the mat and doesn't move. Referee kneels next to him and stops the fight at 2:59 of the fifth round. On screen graphics refer to the fight ending with a TKO (Technical Knock Out).

Is it qualified as a TKO solely because the referee didn't count to 96 or higher? Pacquiao was knocked out; not resting, not dazed-gathering-lint. Out cold for at least a minute after the MGM's lights left his reality.

Who knows boxing rules who can clarify this for me?

donbarzini

Depending upon the venue, a boxer can be "saved by the bell" as long as he answers the bell for the next round; unless the knockdown occurs in the final round. Then he is out of luck. In situations like this, if the bell rings before the referee's count reaches "10". The boxer has the minute rest between rounds to gather himself and be ready for the next round. In Manny's case he was unable to answer the bell for the start of the next round so it becomes a "Technical Knockout"

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Depending upon the venue, a boxer can be "saved by the bell" as long as he answers the bell for the next round; unless the knockdown occurs in the final round. Then he is out of luck. In situations like this, if the bell rings before the referee's count reaches "10". The boxer has the minute rest between rounds to gather himself and be ready for the next round. In Manny's case he was unable to answer the bell for the start of the next round so it becomes a "Technical Knockout"

Thanks. I thought most title fights had the clause that you could not be saved by the bell but it's been many years since I've watched on these. Didn't hear Larry Merchant's discussion at the beginning so I don't know what scoring rules were either.

Nupe2

Watching the Pacquiao vs Marquez #4 match on YouTube (get it quick, it'll be pulled soon, I'm sure).

Anyway, at 2:58 in the fifth round one boxer is felled by a tremendous-but-unexpected right hand that makes all the lights in the MGM go out. Boxer falls leaden to the mat and doesn't move. Referee kneels next to him and stops the fight at 2:59 of the fifth round. On screen graphics refer to the fight ending with a TKO (Technical Knock Out).

Is it qualified as a TKO solely because the referee didn't count to 96 or higher? Pacquiao was knocked out; not resting, not dazed-gathering-lint. Out cold for at least a minute after the MGM's lights left his reality.

Who knows boxing rules who can clarify this for me?

Link? Looked for it but it might already be gone. :-(