When it rains, it pours

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Progs just can't catch a break.

TLDR: "Mother Nature is taking care of her glacier without human help, but we're still all going to die if you don't give us a bunch of money!"

"At first we didn't believe it," said glaciologist Ala Khazendar of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. "We had pretty much assumed that Jakobshavn would just keep going on as it had over the last 20 years."

That's a scientist all assuming and chit. Because....science does that.

:lol:

Best sentence in the piece:

But over the last three years, that cold water has kept coming, according to data from NASA's Oceans Melting Greenland (OMG) mission and other sources.

:lol:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Since these things, known as weather related events, such as glacial advancement and retreats, usually occur over decades and decades, if not centuries, or millennia, operating on galactic time line, well, you know, many scientists would rather have at least something published in their name before they die, even if there is some questionable veracity to their claim.

This_person

And if you didn’t read past the headlines you might think this somehow countered global warming.....if
I think the point is that it neither counters nor supports, just like every other bit of news about glaciers and climate data that is less than a few thousand years long.

If you want to be accurate, anyway.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Damn that Mother Nature! Why isn't she following the political/ideological script that we've given her!

--- End of line (MCP)

Reactions: BOP

Midnightrider

I did.
It's still a steaming pile of bull...
Not really. Global warming and climate change are a fact. The only debates are how fast and why.
The fact of the matter is we can measure many of the metrics related to climate change.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Not really. Global warming and climate change are a fact. The only debates are how fast and why. The fact of the matter is we can measure many of the metrics related to climate change.
Put the glass down and step away from the Cool Aid, or not.
remember-jonestown-small-jpg.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I think the point is that it neither counters nor supports, just like every other bit of news about glaciers and climate data that is less than a few thousand years long.

If you want to be accurate, anyway.
Exactly. Which explains why so very many esteemed climate scientists were so embarrassed by the fact the impending ice age they were predicting back in the early 70s (ironically..also blamed on fossil fuel burning) did not come to pass even a tiny bit. Well..not yet anyway. ;-)

SamSpade

Only a really stupid person would deny that the climate changes.
Of course it does. And climatologists measure the differences over periods of time in centuries - millennia - or longer.
Unless you're a climate alarmist - THEN climate changes occurring over a decade turns into indefatigable "proof".

This_person

Not really. Global warming and climate change are a fact.

The climate changing is indeed a fact. Global warming is not in any way a fact.

If you look at things on this kind of time scale, we're doomed:

But, if you're smarter, and look at things on this kind of time scale, you can see we are in a standard cycle of our climate changing. Nothing to be concerned about at all:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We are inhabitants of the planet and part of the ecosystem, no different or more important than a mosquito. As the climate changes - and it will - we will either evolve or die. It's as simple as that.

This is why humans fascinate me: we have such an inflated sense of our own importance.

My interest last night was Biosphere 2, which was a man-made ecosystem experiment done in the 90s. These scientists thought they might be able to create an artificial environment, with an eye toward colonizing other planets.

Yeah, it failed.

Man cannot recreate the wonders of the Earth and artificially force all the individual wonders to interact perfectly. They couldn't even get 8 willing humans to interact well, let alone the various ecological systems. What in the flying hell makes them think they can control the freaking climate of an entire planet???

It's just amazing, it really is. Every time I see/hear some environutty keening about "preventing climate change" I just marvel at how self-important ignorant people are.