When liquor stores are deemed essential, but churches are not

Clem72

How does it speak volumes? I don't know that I would call a Liquor store essential, but unless your congregation is fewer than 8 people I don't see how a Church could be expected to operate safely.

I suspect most people's religious beliefs are strong enough to be able to skip a couple of weeks without reinforcement. If not, read the good book or watch some GodTV. Unless you belong to one of those churches where half the parishioners speak in tongues and the minister has to smack you to rid you of the demons.

Scat

That speaks volumes about our leadership.

two different ends of the spectrum. One is shopping for personal preference, one is a mass gathering. Thats not necessarily a leadership call, moreso a legal call. Unless youre now trying to petition for repeal of the 21st amendment?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I "heard" that they are keeping liquor stores open so people don't suffer from alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Having seen somebody go through that, I guess it seems plausible.

Clem72

I "heard" that they are keeping liquor stores open so people don't suffer from alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Having seen somebody go through that, I guess it seems plausible.
I didn't consider that, but it makes sense. Definitely don't want a bunch of DTs taking up medical resources at this time.

black dog

Free America
How does it speak volumes? I don't know that I would call a Liquor store essential, but unless your congregation is fewer than 8 people I don't see how a Church could be expected to operate safely.

I suspect most people's religious beliefs are strong enough to be able to skip a couple of weeks without reinforcement. If not, read the good book or watch some GodTV. Unless you belong to one of those churches where half the parishioners speak in tongues and the minister has to smack you to rid you of the demons.

Ever see a lunch room in a factory? Todays lunchroom or messhall just has every other seat removed or blocked. Have you been to Walmart, Meijer, Costco, Sams, BJ's or Target?

SamSpade

I kind of get this - I don't think I have ever set foot inside a liquor store when it was crowded, and I've rarely had to wait in line for long.
But people go to church for an hour and they are typically fairly close to few hundred other people. Church pews are designed to allow more people in a sanctuary. That's how it works. People cough, sneeze - and sing. And some services, hugging or handshaking is kind of part of the service.

And unlike other meetings I go to - church VERY OFTEN has very old people there - sitting right up front.

I do get it.

Toxick

Splat
That speaks volumes about our leadership.

Well, honestly, Mass can be done remotely. In fact, I "went to church" with my out of state parents for the first time in many thousands of years. Well, like 16 years, anyway. Their church broadcast their service on world wide interwebs and I hopped online with them and .... well, I dozed off. Just like real church.

With Martial Law going into effect this evening, you're damned right liquor stores are essential.

And I'm not even talking about avoiding forced detox.

I'm talking about people who don't even normally drink that much are going to need to throw back a slug or two so they don't chop their spouses' ****ing heads off.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You can pray at home, don't go stirring the pot and get my liquor stores shut down! I'm too lazy to make my own.

You should live in a real state where they sell beer and liquor in the grocery stores and drug stores. :razz:

jrt_ms1995

And unlike other meetings I go to - church VERY OFTEN has very old people there - sitting right up front, and turning around to look at you as you come in so they can give you the stink-eye if you're not dressed to their standards, or are making any incidental noise, or etc.

Fixed, at least for the Southern Baptist churches I grew up in.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BTW, shutting down religious gatherings while showering the masses with alcohol has a historical precedent as well.

😄