When was the last time?

JollyRoger

A cities teams won two major sporting events finals in the same year...like Superbowl, Stanley Cup, World Series and what ever basketballs is called?

Beta84

They're out to get us
didnt the boston celtics and new england patriots do that last year? possibly even the Red sox too. I know that area has won alot lately though.

Black-Francis

As far as states......After tonight Pennsylvania could have the Steelers, Phillies and Penguins. Too bad the Sixers suck!

JollyRoger

didnt the boston celtics and new england patriots do that last year? possibly even the Red sox too. I know that area has won alot lately though.

Pittsburgh won the Superbowl...I asked because in less than 20 minutes the Pens could win the Stanly Cup....

Beta84

They're out to get us
As far as states......After tonight Pennsylvania could have the Steelers, Phillies and Penguins. Too bad the Sixers suck!

I guess the question is what is defined as the same year (sounds stupid I know). What I mean is...Pitt won the 2008 NFL season, but the playoffs (and super bowl) were in 2009. Phillies and Steelers both won for the 2008 seasons, whereas I'd say the Penguins winning would count toward 2009. The NBA Finals are about to dub their 2009 champion as well, while the NFL and MLB don't have 2009 champions yet.

I made a quick list based on season and not the actual year won (since the NFL would be skewed)...the list sucks since I didn't keep an order for sport or anything, but "true" sports fans should be able to decipher it :wink:

2001 = NE, Zona Diamondbacks, LAL, Colorado Avalanche
**2002 = Tampa Bucs, LAL, Anaheim Angels, Detroit Redwings
2003 = FL Marlins, San Ant, NE, NJ Devils
**2004 = Boston Sox, New England Pats, Detroit Pistons, Tampa Lightning
2005 = Chicago Bears, Pitt Pens, San Ant, NOBODY (NHL)
2006 = Indy, Miami, St Louis Cards, Carolina Canes
2007 = San Ant, Boston Redsox, NYG, Anaheim Ducks
2008 = Pitt Steelers, Boston Celts, Philly Phillies, Detroit Redwings
2009 = none yet

Boston and New England won in 2004. I forgot that New England screwed up and lost to the Giants, or they would have done it again in 2007. In 2002, I am counting the LA Lakers and the Anaheim Angels since they're both basically in the LA area.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Pittsburgh won the Superbowl...I asked because in less than 20 minutes the Pens could win the Stanly Cup....

you and I must be watching different games. The Pens aren't close to 20 minutes away...40 gametime minutes, I guess...but winning in the same calendar year isn't quite the same as the same calendar season IMO.

luckily the Florida Gators put that to bed by winning college basketball and football championships in both the same season AND calendar year between 2006-2007 :smile: But that's not pros so doesn't count toward the question...

Black-Francis

Actually, they have 40 more minutes of game play. So, theoretically there will be a winner by 11pm, unless of course it goes into overtime......YW

JollyRoger

I guess the question is what is defined as the same year (sounds stupid I know). What I mean is...Pitt won the 2008 NFL season, but the playoffs (and super bowl) were in 2009. Phillies and Steelers both won for the 2008 seasons, whereas I'd say the Penguins winning would count toward 2009. The NBA Finals are about to dub their 2009 champion as well, while the NFL and MLB don't have 2009 champions yet.

I made a quick list based on season and not the actual year won (since the NFL would be skewed)...the list sucks since I didn't keep an order for sport or anything, but "true" sports fans should be able to decipher it :wink:

2001 = NE, Zona, LAL, Colorado
**2002 = Tampa, LAL, Anaheim, Detroit
2003 = FL, San Ant, NE, NJ
**2004 = Boston Sox, New England Pats, Detroit, Tampa
2005 = Chicago, Pitt, San Ant, NOBODY
2006 = Indy, Miami, St Louis, Carolina
2007 = San Ant, Boston, NYG, Anaheim
2008 = Pitt, Boston, Philly, Detroit
2009 = none yet

Boston and New England won in 2004. I forgot that New England screwed up and lost to the Giants, or they would have done it again in 2007. In 2002, I am counting the LA Lakers and the Anaheim Angels since they're both basically in the LA area.

Same season!

JollyRoger

my list is based on same season. Your suggestion of the Steelers and Penguins would NOT be the same seasons...Penguins are playing for the 2009 championship, while the Steelers won the 2008 championship.

The seasons started in the same year. Ought 8.

JoeR

The seasons started in the same year. Ought 8.

Exactly!! The Penguins season started in 2008. Also the Steelers and Pirates both won championships in 1979. And you can count it either way for the Steelers that year. They won the Super Bowl in the 78-79 season and again in the 79-80 season. The Pirates won the World Series in Oct. 1979.

stars24

While the Steelers and Pens seasons both started in 08.... I believe the Steelers were considered 08 super bowl champs because the majority of their season was in 08.... and the Pens would be 2009 champs because the majority of their season was in 2009.