When will the croaker start biting?

GreenHornet

Can't wait to start catching some fish this year. Last year the croaker were unbelievable but I can't remember how early in the season we were catching them. Anyone?

CraneTaker77

wev've been catching nice sized rock down here in golden beach. got one just the other night

DSC_00985992.JPG

CraneTaker77

yea it is a nice one. i wish i was the one who caught it. thats my friends dad "Big Bryan". lol but I did catch a nice size cat ten minutes later

CraneTaker77

I was fishing to fish. I fish all year round. I can't help it that a rockfish got on my line. I wasn't even expecting to catch anything. The water was really cold that day. It isn't against the law to just fish. I don't even like to eat rockfish, I don't care for it, I would take a perch over a rockfish any day. But thanks for that info, I will definately take that into mind and remember that!

Last edited:

CraneTaker77

Glad to hear... Just remember to throw them back! They still have to spawn!

yea actually the one in the pic was pregnant. it aint worth it to keep a fish illeagally(sp) they can take everything. In my opnion they need to lift some of the rockfish regulations though. And strengthen the crabbing regulations. Especially for the commercial crabbers. I read that the DNR is proposing something but it mostly looks like more laws geared towards the recreational crabbers.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
what school does he teach at? I go to the Local 77 aprenticeship school.

I don't think he is doing the Union class. I know he was teaching for the company in Rockville somewhere. I think it moved to the stadium trailer for a while or somewhere down there. I think he teaches basic construction methods or something like that.

shilo

We actually ate croaker this week that were caught right outside of St. Jerome's Creek. We have a marina on the creek and I will have to say that not many people have fished since the big blow last Wed/Thurs. It has been pretty windy since as well. The fish are there, even some flounder are showing up. The rockfish catches have been great but remember........you can't keep them until April 19th. It was nice to have croaker again after the winter break.