when you really have to reach to find something to bitch about...

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Democrats: 'Unsanitary' Politicians Sleeping in Their Offices Abuse Taxpayer Funds, Including Paul Ryan

House Democrats are calling for an ethics investigation into lawmakers who sleep in their offices, saying the “unsanitary” practice is an abuse of taxpayer funds.

I think that this line may be the funniest out of the whole story
A December letter to Ethics Committee Chairwoman Susan Brooks and ranking member Ted Deutch—signed by 30 members of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC)—claimed that office sleepers “reflect negatively upon the decorum and credibility of the House as a body and as an institution.”
The CBC is worried that something reflects negatively on the house, without realizing that they themselves reflect more negatively on the house.

http://www.newsweek.com/democrats-u...tm_campaign=rss&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news

Starman

I remember a time when sleeping in offices was held up as a paragon of virtue. These guys show up, but don't need the fancy row house on Capitol Hill, or the suite at the Ritz-Carlton -- they sleep on their office couch and just go to work for their constituents.

How times change.

SamSpade

I remember a time when sleeping in offices was held up as a paragon of virtue. These guys show up, but don't need the fancy row house on Capitol Hill, or the suite at the Ritz-Carlton -- they sleep on their office couch and just go to work for their constituents.

How times change.

I'm wondering if THAT is part of it. I remember the first week at my current job where I wore a suit and tie.
My boss came by and said "lose the suit and tie; you're making the rest of us look bad".

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
More than two dozen lawmakers, all Democrats, sent a letter late last year to Ethics Committee Chairwoman Susan Brooks, R-Indiana, and top Democrat on the committee Ted Deutsch of Florida, questioning the "legality and propriety of a significant number of members choosing to use their Congressional offices as overnight lodging facilities."

"Members who sleep overnight in their offices receive free lodging, free cable, free security, free cleaning services, and utilize other utilities free of charge in direct violation of the ethics rules which prohibit official resources from being used for personal purposes," they wrote in the letter dated December 13.

[clip]

House Speaker Paul Ryan and Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy are among the dozens of lawmakers who have shared they sleep in their offices.
Ryan told CNN in 2015 he sleeps in his Longworth office because it helps him get more work done.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/06/poli...ucus-lawmakers-sleeping-in-offices/index.html

but at the end of the Day ... Black Members of Congress / Democrats want MORE MONEY ....
$ 174,000 a yr ain't enough
a move for a per diam was shot down last yr ...
this is a way to take another bite at that apple
They feel they should be compensated for all these freebies Republicans are getting.

here is the thing ... the cable, heating, security, cleaning will still be paid wither someone sleeps in the office or not

oh and Wacky Maxine Waters lives 200 paces from the Hill Offices ... and gets chauffeured

‘It’s almost nasty’: Dems seek crackdown on sleeping in the Capitol

“There’s something unsanitary about bringing people to your office who are talking about public policy where you spent the night, and that’s unhealthy, unsanitary — and some people would say it’s almost nasty,” said Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, the top Democrat on the Homeland Security Committee.

The CBC's push targets a practice popular among conservatives triggered by former Rep. Dick Armey, an architect of the 1994 “Republican Revolution.” Lawmakers often sleep in their offices to showcase their thriftiness and their aversion to the Washington swamp.

damn I ain't heard a brother say something was 'nasty' since the 80s when I was in the Military

Hijinx

How times change.

They don't need to call themselves Queens and be driven 3 blocks to Congress in a chauferred limousine either.

glhs837

Power with Control
Seems to me that a Congressional Barracks would be pretty simple to throw together.

Rommey

I guess throwing a temper tantrum and sitting on the House floor reflects positively upon the decorum and credibility of the House as a body and as an institution.
90.jpg

BOP

I think that this line may be the funniest out of the whole story
The CBC is worried that something reflects negatively on the house, without realizing that they themselves reflect more negatively on the house.

http://www.newsweek.com/democrats-u...tm_campaign=rss&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news

I would sleep in my office occasionally, if the option were there. As early as I get there, I might as well. I wouldn't give up my house to do it. We have workout facilities, so that's covered. I'd have to go out to eat because we only have microwaves for food prep, so I wouldn't want to have my only meals come frozen. But two or three days a week would actually be beneficial as far as getting work done.

BOP

Hmmm... thought this thread was going to be about Trans

She should become a dominatrix. That way she could get paid good money to abuse people. Well, unless she looks like Jabba the Hutt's little sister. <shrug> But then again, there's somebody for everybody.

Hijinx

She should become a dominatrix. That way she could get paid good money to abuse people. Well, unless she looks like Jabba the Hutt's little sister. <shrug> But then again, there's somebody for everybody.

How do you know she isn't? How do you know she doesn't?