Where have all the refrigerators gone?

limblips

PREMO Member
My loving bride has determined she wants a new fridge so online shopping we go. Lowes/HD/appliance stores within 100 miles or so. She wants a 4 door French style in black stainless counter width. Every one we found is either out of stock with no restock date known or not available until November or December. Where did they go? Who hoards refrigerators?

glhs837

Power with Control
My loving bride has determined she wants a new fridge so online shopping we go. Lowes/HD/appliance stores within 100 miles or so. She wants a 4 door French style in black stainless counter width. Every one we found is either out of stock with no restock date known or not available until November or December. Where did they go? Who hoards refrigerators?

Same people who bought all the damn freezers.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Many homeowners have taken advantage of this downtime to do home renovations. Kitchen refits, etc.... Out with the old...

There's also a big push for additional freezer space for long term storage.

DaSDGuy

Manufacturing has slowed down because of virus shutdowns, including the businesses that supply the parts needed for assembly.

black dog

Free America
Covid shut plants down around the world, what little warehousing is done today is long gone. Its catch-up time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm wondering why all the yeast is sold out. When we were in NB there were signs in front of the HEBs "No yeast". Everything else was in stock except for yeast.

I asked the guy if they just weren't getting it in and he said they were, but it sells out immediately. There was bread galore, both commercial and in the bakery, so it wasn't a sudden influx of Pioneer Women.

A mystery....

black dog

Free America
Yeast is no different that other products that went On Demand a few decades ago. As the second to last one leaves the shelf the replacements show up on the loading dock. Its not profitable to warehouse more than a few weeks of what one manufacturers in most cases in todays world.
When a new huge demand in the climate makes a product popular very quickly what is warehoused between the manufacturer and the end seller is gone, And it takes months to play catch-up.
About the only thing that is warehoused in todays market are seasonal items.... And they are only warehoused a short period of time.

PJay

Same with washers and dryers. Did get lucky and found a matching set at sears. Only needed a washer but thought the dryer may go next and with being hard to find these days better grab it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeast is no different that other products that went On Demand a few decades ago. As the second to last one leaves the shelf the replacements show up on the loading dock. Its not profitable to warehouse more than a few weeks of what one manufacturers in most cases in todays world.
When a new huge demand in the climate makes a product popular very quickly what is warehoused between the manufacturer and the end seller is gone, And it takes months to play catch-up.
About the only thing that is warehoused in todays market are seasonal items.... And they are only warehoused a short period of time.

I know, but why yeast? That seems like an odd thing to be in such high demand.

PJay

A lot of people are in survival mode, afraid of what may be coming. I was told to stock up on yeast when all this craziness began, I didn't, but it was suggested.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
It's the same with riding mowers. Ours made its final cut yesterday. Slim pickings with what's available.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
We had to wait over 2 months for our new fridge.
The old one was freezing up and I was worried about it dying.
If that happened all hell would of broke out, cause I woulda lost my beer fridge.

Thank God everything worked out.