Where to find a cheap dehumidifier

DEEKAYPEE8569

.....well, not a "cheap" one; an inexpensive one, if there is such a thing; one that would service a 20x30x12 ft. structure.

TIA

None of them are cheap. But for whatever one you have an eye on, get the reviews. Some are notorious for failing inside a year. And if the store offers an extended warranty for a few $ more, get it.

Personal note: avoid Haier.

PeoplesElbow

Just thought I'd mention this since you want an inexpensive unit. There is no such thing as an inexpensive dehumidifier, they actually use quite a bit of electricity. The only things in your house that will use more is the air conditioner, refrigerator, and water heater.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Just thought I'd mention this since you want an inexpensive unit. There is no such thing as an inexpensive dehumidifier, they actually use quite a bit of electricity. The only things in your house that will use more is the air conditioner, refrigerator, and water heater.

You are right about the electric use of dehumidifiers, but it is cheaper than paying for ripping out, and replacing walls because of black mold; which is very hazardous to health. We have to empty ours once a day; sometimes, twice depending on rainfall, and humidity.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

You are right about the electric use of dehumidifiers, but it is cheaper than paying for ripping out, and replacing walls because of black mold; which is very hazardous to health. We have to empty ours once a day; sometimes, twice depending on rainfall, and humidity.
Wow, i would say you have an underlying ptoblem you should try to fix and not just maskk with a dehumidifier then.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Wow, i would say you have an underlying ptoblem you should try to fix and not just maskk with a dehumidifier then.

Your use of the word underlying made me laugh. What are your suggestions in maintaining the moisture in a below ground basement? Thanks.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

In the process right now of packing boxes and putting them in the detached garage which has an oil heater; but no A/C. The packed boxes are on the floor, vice in the overhead/attic. The concern is, the fabric things (blankets, clothes etc.) will mold sitting in a non-environmentally controlled space.

PeoplesElbow

Your use of the word underlying made me laugh. What are your suggestions in maintaining the moisture in a below ground basement? Thanks.
Describe your walls and floor. Paintimg my moms block wall basement with drilock paint controled what moisture she had. The key is to build the house correctly in the dirst pllace. A properly designed french drain and foundation vs a cheaply made job makes a world of difference. You can fix it after the house is built, but it is a big job

PeoplesElbow

In the process right now of packing boxes and putting them in the detached garage which has an oil heater; but no A/C. The packed boxes are on the floor, vice in the overhead/attic. The concern is, the fabric things (blankets, clothes etc.) will mold sitting in a non-environmentally controlled space.
Get them up off the floor, throw a bag of instant rice in each container or giant ziploc bag.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Describe your walls and floor. Paintimg my moms block wall basement with drilock paint controled what moisture she had. The key is to build the house correctly in the dirst pllace. A properly designed french drain and foundation vs a cheaply made job makes a world of difference. You can fix it after the house is built, but it is a big job

Our house was built in 1970. Apparently, the house went to you know when it was repossessed, and flipped by a company that did the bare minimum. It was so hard to secure a house that was close to fam in MoCo. It is well built, but has issues. Thanks for the tip on drilock paint. We had that French drain in Calvert, but it got backed up with mud for some reason. Of, course, some of the cardboard boxes containing fam history got ruined. Sad. It is, always, something. Thanks, again, for your input.

When we lived on 5 acres with the drainage of Long’s Cove off of Battle Creek in Calvert with 3 sides being shear drop offs; there was a lot of water. The upside was we found a lot of fossils. 😄 The three tier thing, and all. My fave house, forever.

Last edited: