where to go to get cars

C

cmdrfunk

I'm looking for information about buying a car in the area.

As you may know by now (doubtful), I'm moving to southern maryland in the beginning of June, having gotten a job there.

My car still runs well, though the transmission slips a bit, my driver's side window doesn't roll up and down anymore, and my air conditioner just makes things hotter, so I'll probably be looking for a new (used) car to sink my new found income into... plus i'd like to look cool for a change instead of sporting my tiny '94 duster :)

You know what they say about tiny cars.

I don't really know...

Anyway, I just want something just a couple years old (probably nothing older than 2000) that gets decent mileage so i don't have to feed the oil ogopoly any more than I must.

Do you have any recommendations/warnings about dealerships where to (not) check out? I'd preferably like to go somewhere where I don't have the urge to pop a salesman in the jaw.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Check with Wallace Rockwell in the Tackle Box parking lot on Rt. 235 near the base.

nomoney

I just emailed the county commisioner about any used cars in the area and got this back

sonata.jpg

K

Kain99

I really like Tom Hodges in Holywood... He has a small Lot but I've always known him to be decent and fair.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by Kain99
I really like Tom Hodges in Holywood... He has a small Lot but I've always known him to be decent and fair.

I gotta disagree a bit here ... not so much with Mr. Hodges personally ... but some slimey dealer who's name I don't recall that he had a couple years ago.

Tater had driven by when I was in the market for my first rodeo, and mentioned they had one there. We drove down, checked it out, and the dude that was there dealing with us kept pressuring me with crap like, "Well, I have little kids at home, and if I don't sell a car this week, they won't have food on the table."

:shocking: I walked out and didn't bother going back. That's just tacky salesmanship, IMO. :ohwell:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by Kain99
Wow! betcha old Tom didn't know about that incident. :frown:

he may not have. :ohwell: I will say though that he always has quite a selection of different cars for sale and for the most part, they all seem nice looking vehicles.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
We bought a car from Tom Hodges a few years back. We got a good deal on it and never really had much problem with it. The salesman was very courteous and did not pressure us to buy. :yay:

C

cmdrfunk

Originally posted by tatercake
"Well, I have little kids at home, and if I don't sell a car this week, they won't have food on the table."
[/B]

Wow, I would have been like, well then, they'll learn at an early age to make something of themselves instead of becoming a sleazy used car salesman.

That reminds me, the first time i went to maryland (april) i was driving around and around 5 on a wednesday there was this talk show on the radio. I have no idea what the station was; i think it may have been coming in from D.C. The host was seriously yelling and swearing about people who have children when they can't afford them. He had people calling in who were swearing left and right about teenage mothers and how hard-working people shouldnt' have to give up their money in taxes to support people who make poor decisions in their lives. I'm not sure how the FCC let this show on the air with all the vulgarity (not that i support the FCC in that kind of thing), but anyone have a clue what show that could have been?

It's probably not enough details.. oh well.

Thanks for the auto directions.

nomoney

Originally posted by cmdrfunk
That reminds me, the first time i went to maryland (april) i was driving around and around 5 on a wednesday there was this talk show on the radio. I have no idea what the station was; i think it may have been coming in from D.C. The host was seriously yelling and swearing about people who have children when they can't afford them. He had people calling in who were swearing left and right about teenage mothers and how hard-working people shouldnt' have to give up their money in taxes to support people who make poor decisions in their lives

Tigger agrees with all of this 100%

Ponytail

I bought a truck soon after I got here. I did visit Tom Hodges, and although I dind't buy anything from him (only becasue he didn't have what I was looking for), he did have a nice selection, and my experience there was pleasant,. No pressure.

I bought my truck from Sheehy Dodge in Marlboro. Nice bid used car lot. I bought a Ford. Bought the only thing worth looking at a Dodge Dealer.

I got a good deal, and haven't had any problems.

Most of the cars that you find on used lots anymore, are obtained by them from auctions. So buying from a big dealer, where you can purchase an extended warranty is recommended.

Good luck with teh move, and the purchase.

Ponytail

The other one that I'd suggest is the "Lemon Lot" on Base. It's pretty full right now, and there's just about everything there from Classics to RV's and Boats.

Mustangs, VW's, Grand Ams, Exploders, Jeeps, foriegn 4x4's...you name it.

Originally posted by cmdrfunk
[
That reminds me, the first time i went to maryland (april) i was driving around and around 5 on a wednesday there was this talk show on the radio. I have no idea what the station was; i think it may have been coming in from D.C. The host was seriously yelling and swearing about people who have children when they can't afford them. He had people calling in who were swearing left and right about teenage mothers and how hard-working people shouldnt' have to give up their money in taxes to support people who make poor decisions in their lives. I'm not sure how the FCC let this show on the air with all the vulgarity (not that i support the FCC in that kind of thing), but anyone have a clue what show that could have been?

It's probably not enough details.. oh well.

Thanks for the auto directions. [/B]

maybe it was the Don and Mike show?

http://www.1067wjfk.com/don_mike.html

Aimhigh2000

Dealerships

This may sound crazy, but I have had the best experience at two dealerships in the metro area. The first was Pohanka Saturn in Marlow Heights. I needed a commuter car to go from Mechanicsville to DC, and I ended up buying a 2004 Ion 3 Quad Cab. This little car is way cool. No pressure from the sales team, great interest rate (0%) and was there maybe an hour and I was on my way home with a new car. The second is a bit further away, but excellent service. Ourisman Volkswagen of Laurel. Back in December, I bought a VW Passat, and the staff was great. I picked it off the internet, called to set up a test drive, and drove it home. These two dealers have great staff and great prices. I would go back to either one in a heartbeat. Now, if you really need a cheap car, I think in the Park they have a Kia, Daewoo and Hyundai dealership. If you want something a bit nicer, then you have to go to Bell Motors or outside St. Mary's