Where's the worst place you've ever visited?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vacation, work travel, broke down car, whatever, where you were just like, "This place sucks."

I'm pretty flexible and can usually find something good about anywhere, but Juarez Mexico is hands down the worst place I've ever seen. I can't think of a single nice thing to say about that hell hole.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We were staying in a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN. The place was infested with millipedes. On the floor, in the bath tubs/shower, cabinets... everywhere!!

UglyBear

We were staying in a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN. The place was infested with millipedes. On the floor, in the bath tubs/shower, cabinets... everywhere!!
How large we talking here? I heard that the tropical ones (6-7" long) are simply nightmarish

NextJen

Raisin cane
SE, DC. Lived there for 6 months with my FIL while our house was being built. Right off of Southern Avenue - a stone's throw from the DC-MD line. Good Lawd, the noise from the Metro buses, ambulances, fire trucks and police cars running up and down Southern Ave. Not to mention the sporadic gun fire. All of that along with the drug deals that were happening all around us, and the cockroaches (as big as palmetto bugs) and rats (as big as cats) running around from dusk until dawn.

God bless my FIL for letting us stay there temporarily, but I was never so glad to get out of some place in my whole life.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
How large we talking here? I heard that the tropical ones (6-7" long) are simply nightmarish
Not sure the picture does it justice. They were really long. Nothing like waking up and finding them crawling on you!!

Attachments

• millipedes-chicobolus-spinigerus-narceus-americanus-buss_488x323.jpg
    millipedes-chicobolus-spinigerus-narceus-americanus-buss_488x323.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 182

UglyBear

Not sure the picture does it justice. They were really long. Nothing like waking up and finding them crawling on you!!
Dang, they were so bad that Orkin used your pics in their info? :)
i heard that the really bad tropical ones, where they crawl on you, you get welts -- poison on the tips of their (hooves?) appendages. So yours were at least not that bad. But yeah, waking up with one on you -- even the wussy ones -- would be not pleasant.

mitzi

SE, DC. Lived there for 6 months with my FIL while our house was being built. Right off of Southern Avenue - a stone's throw from the DC-MD line. Good Lawd, the noise from the Metro buses, ambulances, fire trucks and police cars running up and down Southern Ave. Not to mention the sporadic gun fire. All of that along with the drug deals that were happening all around us, and the cockroaches (as big as palmetto bugs) and rats (as big as cats) running around from dusk until dawn.

God bless my FIL for letting us stay there temporarily, but I was never so glad to get out of some place in my whole life.

I worked on Southern Avenue for many years. I know just what you're talking about. Does your FIL still live there?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I found one of those in my mud room once. :yikes:
I nearly jumped out of my skin last weekend when I went to pick up some towels to throw into the washing machine. I thought there was one on the towel but it turned out it was the rubber thing from my laundry bag hook. Every once in a while I'll find a dead one in our basement. Figured the cat killed it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I nearly jumped out of my skin last weekend when I went to pick up some towels to throw into the washing machine. I thought there was one on the towel but it turned out it was the rubber thing from my laundry bag hook. Every once in a while I'll find a dead one in our basement. Figured the cat killed it.
:lol:

I think the cat may have drug it in. One of them had a big fat lizard a week or so ago. It was missing its tail.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Dang, they were so bad that Orkin used your pics in their info? :)
i heard that the really bad tropical ones, where they crawl on you, you get welts -- poison on the tips of their (hooves?) appendages. So yours were at least not that bad. But yeah, waking up with one on you -- even the wussy ones -- would be not pleasant.
:razz:
I was too busy vacuuming them up to take any pictures. I understand that bugs get into houses in the woods (our house backs up to woods too) but yikes!! Those are big and creepy as heck!

SamSpade

Since it IS a third world country - yeah, Ethiopia. That's to be expected. Roads were often dirt, people squatting in a field, huts in mud filled with muddy water and homes of corrugated metal and bailing wire. Horrific traffic and don't let the windows down, because air pollution = during the day - can be unbelievable.

That said - almost everyone I met in that country were the sweetest, most polite people you'd ever want to meet. I said to many people that they were so polite, they make Canadians look like sadists.

Similarly - parts of Russia were atrocious. Filthy streets - highways collapsing due to rain - drunks - corrupt police - and people who seem to think being friendly is being fake. That's the crappy towns - they look like the worst slums you've seen here. On the other hand - St. Petersburg is quite beautiful EVERYWHERE.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Progreso, Mexico is the only place I can think of. Stopped at that port on a cruise and, although charming in places, it was just dirty. And it didn't help the local police riding around in the back of pickup trucks with lots of big guns patrolling the streets. :shocking: Cozumel was MUCH nicer. :yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've stayed in a couple real shithole hotels in South Korea.

Probably the worst place ever, though, was a "campground" situated behind a truck stop in Missouri. Bobber Lake. Cute little sign of a kid fishing in a pond caught our eye as we'd been looking for a place to camp that night.

Paid the fee up at the truck stop office and pulled on down the dirt lane to the campground...told we could pick any open site. First thing we noticed was the grass everywhere was high enough to cut for hay. Second thing we noticed was that the only other campground residents were obviously dirt poor permanent residents living in run-down campers with lean to's built on the side.

The bath house would have qualified as a Superfund cleanup site. It was beyond gross..virtually unusable.

And the "lake"?....it was a disgusting catch basin for all the rain runoff from the unpaved truck parking lot on the hill above. Completely surrounded by thicket...not that you'd want to get close to it anyway.