Whirlpool Duet with no kick plate

Suzette

Fan Dancer
Hey All, I have a Whirlpool Duet front loader washing machine. For the past few weeks, it has not been draining water properly. The water collects in the rubber gasket around the door and I have to take a turkey baster to suck out the water (takes about 5 or 6 times to get most of the water) and then dry it with a wash cloth. I looked on line to figure out the problem and says it's probably a clogged filter. The instructions on youtube show a machine with a removable kick plate....the problem is that I have a newer Whirlpool Duet so do not have kick plate to remove....so I guess I'm going to have to hire someone to fix this thing. Do any of you know of a reputable repairman? I know it probably won't be fixed before Christmas........Oh well.

Tech

Check You-tube, they have videos on different models. Had one doing the same thing. Turned out to be crap in the trap(cleanout).

Blister

Check carefully before giving up on getting access, google your model#. I had a similar situation on our whirlpool. It was the drain check valve not sealing due to build up over the years(removed and cleaned with white vinegar/water solution, all better). After the wash cycle finishes and it pumps out the water left in the drain hose leading up to the drain vent runs back into the tub. If that is all it is there is no problem using it because it is just a small amount od residual water. It could also be a partially clogged drain line that is easy to check before calling for a Pro.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If the water collects in the rubber gasket the drains in the gasket are clogged.. check along the bottom edge of the gasket, it should unroll partially and reveal 2 or 3 drain holes.. over time they get clogged with hair, or candy wrappers... lint.. but they are there. They allow water captured in the door and gasket to drain back I to the tub.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-door-boot-drain-12002533-ap4010226.html

There is a video here.. first part explains how to remove front of washer.. should accomplish what you were trying to do above (no kickplate).. basically remoremove the door, two plates opposite door hinges, front of washer comes off..

And watching the video there is one drain hole ththat drains into a tube.. no doubt that is clogged.. looks like a small piece of wire could unclog it..

Last edited:

1stGenSMIB

suzette, I have a Whirlpool Duet also, but mine is probably 6-7 years old now. The drain was not that hard, but I have a "kick plate" between the door & pedestal..It was three sheet metal screws to remove the kick plate.

The other trick I learned is to make sure you always leave the door open so that the washer doesn't start to smell. I recently replaced the gasket because it leaked in "washer cleaning" mode, but the new gasket still leaks. Stupid washer. I will never buy another front loader if they are all like this.

Suzette

Fan Dancer
If the water collects in the rubber gasket the drains in the gasket are clogged.. check along the bottom edge of the gasket, it should unroll partially and reveal 2 or 3 drain holes.. over time they get clogged with hair, or candy wrappers... lint.. but they are there. They allow water captured in the door and gasket to drain back I to the tub.

Thank you itsbob!!! I found the drain holes and they were indeed clogged..........with gobs of dog hair!!!!! (See photo.......I used a penny for reference.) Thank you again for taking the time to answer my post in detail...........you saved me a lot of aggravation and $$$$$. I don't know why the washer manual doesn't cover these things. My old washing machine had a strainer in the agitator that I rinsed out after every wash..........so I'll be checking these drain hole a lot now!

dog hair.jpg

Suzette

Fan Dancer
Thank you for the info sastanley! itsbob turned me on to the gasket drain holes can clog.......and they were........full of dog hair!!! Friends told me not to get a frontloader, but did I listen.......NO..........Now I have a machine with a filter that's not easy to get to and I'll have to pat out the inside of the gasket every day I use it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Thank you itsbob!!! I found the drain holes and they were indeed clogged..........with gobs of dog hair!!!!! (See photo.......I used a penny for reference.) Thank you again for taking the time to answer my post in detail...........you saved me a lot of aggravation and $$$$$. I don't know why the washer manual doesn't cover these things. My old washing machine had a strainer in the agitator that I rinsed out after every wash..........so I'll be checking these drain hole a lot now!

View attachment 106164

Welcome..