White Deer

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
in the field yesterday morning. Too far to get a photo, and standing with the hedgerow of pines in the background so couldn't even tell if there were antlers.

Cool.

NextJen

Raisin cane
When I lived in Upper Marlboro, we used to get quite a few white deers come through our yard. I read somewhere that they were fallow deer. I believe someone in the area used to raise them but some had escaped and become wild.

Here is one picture I took of a group of them in my backyard years ago.

Attachments

• white deer.jpg
    white deer.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 190

Bay_Kat

Tropical
in the field yesterday morning. Too far to get a photo, and standing with the hedgerow of pines in the background so couldn't even tell if there were antlers.

Cool.

A friend of mine used to live off Dares Beach Road and there was a big white deer that would show up on his property every now and then, I caught a glimpse of it once, pretty cool.

KDENISE977

When I lived in Upper Marlboro, we used to get quite a few white deers come through our yard. I read somewhere that they were fallow deer. I believe someone in the area used to raise them but some had escaped and become wild.

They look like big sheep !!!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We live near the airfield in CRE and I've spotted a deer that looks like a cross between a deer and a Holstein cow. Big white blotches. Somebody told me what kind it was but I can't remember now.

my-thyme

Patron
This guy had a brown tail and a mottled face. It was hanging out with three other deer, which surprised me. Guess I just assumed it would be shunned.

I walked toward them for about 50 yards, trying to get close enough to take a decent pic, they just watched me then sauntered into the woods.

I thought the neighbor's goats had gotten out when I first saw him, didn't take long to recognize how big he was!

Didn't catch him on the wildlife camera, either.

my-thyme

Patron

Love that spotted one!

obxtracey

We live near the airfield in CRE and I've spotted a deer that looks like a cross between a deer and a Holstein cow. Big white blotches. Somebody told me what kind it was but I can't remember now.

The deer that are white with the brown splotches are call piebald. I've seen a few in my neighborhood in La Plata over the years.

From the DNR website: A genetic defect produces a few white-tailed deer that are brown and white spotted, similar to a pinto horse. These white-tailed deer are called piebald. In addition to the coloration deficiency, many piebald deer have skeletal deformities such as short legs, bowing of the nasal bone, arching of the back bone and heart defects. Piebald deer make up less than one percent of white-tailed deer herds.
Frequently Asked Questions about White-tailed Deer - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

my-thyme

Patron
It's back. 500 yards away, still can't get a great picture.

white deer.jpg

Truly does appear deformed in this photo.