vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Microsoft
Apple
Amazon
Facebook

Amazon is taking over pretty much everything and becoming a monopoly, I don't care what DA says. He can mock and sneer til his face falls off, but it's still true. That said, there will be One Corporation To Rule Them All; might as well be Amazon.

Facebook is just a social media platform and can be whatever you want it to be. Not sure why people are so freaked out by it. Anyone who still expects true complete privacy on the internet...I don't even know what to say. If you befriend strangers on the internet, that's your fault. If you give up your mug shot, account information, and friends list so you can see what you'd look like with Barbie makeup, that's on you.

Apple is a bit of a nonentity with me. I don't like i-things because they don't play nicely with others. Every Apple product I've ever had has been overpriced crap.

Microsoft has the power to really impact my life. I cringe and my heart races every time I'm forced to "upgrade" their software. So far so good, but there is still the potential for them to hose me but good.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
:shrug:

I don't put much thought into the whole :cds: Corporation are Evil Meme ... at this point saying that is like saying water is wet.
from someone who watched M$ actions in the 90s ... yep they did some shady #### to gain the provenance they had .....

Businesses engage in some cut throat practices ..... unless we are talking about Kerr-McGee Cimarron Fuel Fabrication Site and Karen Silkwood ... most of it is a yawn fest

- lawsuits over bundled web browsers ...
imagine a place where it all began, gathered from across the land, to work in the secrecy of the ... oops excuse me ....
a time when web browsers were sold ...
not given away .. M$ had the temerity to bundle IE with Windows

- when developing the 1st windows M$ needed desktop icons ...
Apple had release the Mac and OS 1 at this point ....
Apple's license for M$ Basic and other apps - sold on the Apple ][ Platform were up for renewal
M$ strong armed them over the icons - allow us to use them or find another Basic to sell on Apple ][s

- BeOS was making a deal with Toshiba to have BeOS installed from the OEM. M$ caught with and told Toshiba, yeah those Windows OS Licenses you want ... if you continue your deal with BeOS, you will be paying a lot more in the future
[not really competition to Windows, more of a threat to Apple]

in the 1990's it was all M$ :cds: :jameo: is taking over the world .... now it is 2018 :jameo: Amazon is taking over the world.
is anyone even worried about M$ Desktop domination anymore ......

in the 1950s it was :cds: A&P is taking over the world, putting the corner market out of business - the same argument made about Wal-Mart in the 2000's

Last edited:
The writers of Wall-E saw the writing on the wall.... how many of these monopolies are starting to look like the B&L company in that movie?

Chris0nllyn

Microsoft
Apple
Amazon
Facebook

Amazon is taking over pretty much everything and becoming a monopoly, I don't care what DA says. He can mock and sneer til his face falls off, but it's still true. That said, there will be One Corporation To Rule Them All; might as well be Amazon.

Facebook is just a social media platform and can be whatever you want it to be. Not sure why people are so freaked out by it. Anyone who still expects true complete privacy on the internet...I don't even know what to say. If you befriend strangers on the internet, that's your fault. If you give up your mug shot, account information, and friends list so you can see what you'd look like with Barbie makeup, that's on you.

Apple is a bit of a nonentity with me. I don't like i-things because they don't play nicely with others. Every Apple product I've ever had has been overpriced crap.

Microsoft has the power to really impact my life. I cringe and my heart races every time I'm forced to "upgrade" their software. So far so good, but there is still the potential for them to hose me but good.

Apple is worth 9 times Amazon and maintains over 50% market share (as of 3 months ago) but Amazon (who has a much less market share in individual markets) is the monopoly?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Microsoft
Apple
Amazon
Facebook

:yeahthat:

It seems that with this last laptop I've gotten, the updates that keep popping up between Microsoft and such, I find little tinky things that I can't figure out without Googling the dang thing for hours to fix it. :rolleyes:

It could be the laptop - but it's a Lenovo and the last Lenovo I had for 8 years with very few issues I couldn't fix myself. irg.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
M&A by a company doesn;t make them a monopoly.

Actually Google is the monopoly. I got my corporate behemoths mixed up. But Amazon is quite far reaching and intrusive in almost every aspect of our lives.

Are you old enough to remember the late 90s and the breakup of Microsoft? That was over including a web browser in with an operating system.

Bann

PREMO Member
...and just like that - Windows updated and my laptop computer will not boot correctly. :mad: I am not certain yet if it is Windows or the Lenovo hard drive. It was a continous loop of things happening. FH started to look at it last night, but it got too late. UGH :ohwell:

PLUS, my phone is already not playing well with the forums either. It's always been a pain without a forum reader app, but now the forums won't let me stay logged in, and I can't search or post unless I am. Everytime I try to refresh, I have to start all over again.

The IT gods have smote me. :bawl:

Bann

PREMO Member
Fingers crossed - I think I have solved my forums issue for now, at least. I switched browsers on my phone and it is playing much nicer with the forums.

Doing a quick interwebz search, I think I found similar issues that I am having with my laptop at home. Hopefully, my IT guy will be able to fixee fixee for me. It *seems* to ne a Windows issue, too. :burning:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Actually Google is the monopoly. I got my corporate behemoths mixed up. But Amazon is quite far reaching and intrusive in almost every aspect of our lives.

Are you old enough to remember the late 90s and the breakup of Microsoft? That was over including a web browser in with an operating system.

Actually, Microsoft was never broken up. While that was the original decision, it was appealed and Microsoft and the DoJ reached a settlement involving other remedies but not a break up.